A Single Moment in Time - A Personal Childhood Memory

A right load of bollocks...

A Single Moment in Time - A Personal Childhood Memory

Postby Trapper John » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 am

Please NO 'Do you remember Spangles' :shoot:

Do you have one which still brings warm feelings whenever you recall it from childhood, however many years later. The more mundane and ordinary the better, a moment which only you maybe would really understand why it felt special then and still special now.

Be as descriptive as you like if it helps to portray and relay the feeling to other readers, fuck the goldfishes in the TL;DR brigade. :dafinger:

Like I said, it's doesn't have to be a defining point in your life or an epic event after which nothing was ever the same. Just a memory of a moment in time when things were less complicated and aspirations less lofty, when simple things and feelings satisfied your 'soul' far more then, than anything the 24/7 'must have' culture of today could ever inspire.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: A Single Moment in Time - A Personal Childhood Memory

Postby Trapper John » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:51 am

I'll give you my example:

A memory I have which comes to mind quiet often comes from a time when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Then it was not unusual for children of that age to make their way around the local and even farther afield areas on their own.

On Saturdays/ Sundays, I would leave home with my football kit and make my way to wherever it was we were playing for the school football team. This involved long walks or buses when we could afford it.

Often there were few if any facilities for changing and certainly no showers, so after games you would have to travel home in the same condition that you left the pitch at full time.

As the season includes mostly the winter months, this would often be either frozen solid and covered in bruises from falling on the tundra like ground or soaking wet and covered in mud.

I would arrive home in one of those conditions maybe 5 or 6 hours after setting off and my mum would be cooking dinner. She would draw me a bath and I would thaw myself out in it, whilst she stoked up the fire in the sitting room.

In those days few if any working class people had anything resembling central heating and wall to wall carpets were just as rare. Sundays were best, with the smell of dinner cooking, I would curl up on the rug in front of the fire, now clean and warm and just let the 'ambience' of the moment flow through me.

Now I know I hadn't a care in the world, that my surroundings however sparse and 'primitive' by today's standards were all I ever needed, warm, safe and secure and being loved by a mum and dad and brothers who would do anything for you, even in the hardest of times.

To me, those memories and that overwhelming feeling of contentment as I lay in front of that roaring fire, mean more to me than any of today's modern luxuries will ever do.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Thank god, I was beginning to wonder if you were ever young!
Lady Murasaki

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:40 pm

...and then came Cyril Lord and his hideous Enkolon carpets, Brentford bloody Nylons, and the utterly horrible Ford Anglia - and the downward spiral to mediocrity began. Oh the joys of peasant life! :roll:
McAz

Postby Vam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Age 8 - opening my Christmas gift from my Nonna, and seeing the same little black patent shoes, with red patent bows, that my best friend Ingrid had. I'd been whining for a pair since like forever :gigglesnshit: My love of pretty shoes has never diminished one iota since that moment in time.

Age 12 - when I faced my fears and trepidation, and just let that horse go-go-GO! :canny: I'll never forget the sense of accomplishment and sheer exhilaration of that first time.

Age the kind of teens that turns a parent's hair grey - leaving the convent behind at the end of the school day, and out of Reverend Mother's gimlet eyesight. My friends and I would immediately hitch our uniform skirts up (several times) at the waistband, whip off those boaters, before sashaying down the hill on our way home. We were the biz - no doubt about that! :gigglesnshit:
Vam

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Less cynically - I recall as a small child that the women of the East End used to put out jellys to set on top of the front bay windows. No-one had a fridge then and poor families (which was all of them) shared houses and ate together. Most of the street (in reality a square like Albert but with a synagogue at one end) holidayed together (such as it was) "down Soufend".
Last edited by McAz on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 pm

McAz wrote:...and then came Cyril Lord and his hideous Enkolon carpets, Brentford bloody Nylons, and the utterly horrible Ford Anglia - and the downward spiral to mediocrity began. Oh the joys of peasant life! :roll:

It's more about family love isn't it? And how that transcends acquiring 'stuff'.
Lady Murasaki

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:...and then came Cyril Lord and his hideous Enkolon carpets, Brentford bloody Nylons, and the utterly horrible Ford Anglia - and the downward spiral to mediocrity began. Oh the joys of peasant life! :roll:

It's more about family love isn't it? And how that transcends acquiring 'stuff'.

The acquisition of "stuff" was the death knell of the traditional working class and its values. But that taught me that they were no more noble than the classes they then looked up to and later sneered at.
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:08 pm

McAz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

The acquisition of "stuff" was the death knell of the traditional working class and i's values. But that taught me that they were no more noble than the classes they then looked up to and later sneered at.

Not all sneer though. The ones who aren't happy with their lot in life sneer at everything and everyone.
Many are content with what they've achieved and many who haven't acquired a lot don't look for someone to blame.
They just aren't as vociferous.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Vam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:

Always :smilin: And that's coming from a meretricious, capitalist mare. But, always...

I miss having family.
Vam

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Vam wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Always :smilin: And that's coming from a meretricious, capitalist mare. But, always...

I miss having family.

always hold on to the happy memories of them, vam, and love those lil doggies. :smilin:

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

The acquisition of "stuff" was the death knell of the traditional working class and its values. But that taught me that they were no more noble than the classes they then looked up to and later sneered at.

Not all sneer though. The ones who aren't happy with their lot in life sneer at everything and everyone.
Many are content with what they've achieved and many who haven't acquired a lot don't look for someone to blame.

No, not all are sneering or get their jollies from schadenfreude - but far too many to make for a happy and content country.
Last edited by McAz on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Vam wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

I miss having family.

You have us. :wubbers:

I've been rich, I've been poor, neither were ideal but love made all the difference.
I'm happiest in between and learning something new.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:18 pm

McAz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

No, not all are sneering or get their jollies from schadenfreude - but far too many to make for a happy and content country.

That's just media coverage though. People aren't as bad as the Brexit Show is portraying.
But it's still worth fighting them on here. :wink:
Lady Murasaki

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:No, not all are sneering or get their jollies from schadenfreude - but far too many to make for a happy and content country.

That's just media coverage though. People aren't as bad as the Brexit Show is portraying.
But it's still worth fighting them on here. :wink:

Thanks for the reassurance. :Wiiiine!:
McAz

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms