Political Correctness And Being Offended

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Political Correctness And Being Offended

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Trapper John wrote:
I saw the signs for myself - and you know damn well they existed.

As did the racist East London dockers march...
As did the Cable Street punch-ups against Jews in the 30s...
As did the East London riots against immigrants in the 1950s...
As did similar riots earlier in that century in many cities...
And much more...

The idea that racism is an invention by the middle class is absolutely laughable.

I tell you what is laughable about this is that it is the polar opposite of what the white liberal classes want people to believe these days.

This fucking myth they spew out when it suits or when they think it might be needed, this "Great tradition of British Tolerance" well the above doesn't exactly exude tolerance does it?

It's bollocks, the British have no more tolerance to those they percieve as outsiders than anyone else on fucking Earth, thing is most of those people don't have their own governments dumping them in their laps wholesale. We aren't tolerant, we just don't have a choice.

You're right, this "Great tradition of British Tolerance" didn't exist in the class I was raised in. We didn't tolerate the cunts from the slightly posher council estate up the road, let alone foreigners. Always exceptions though - no matter how alien they were, if their daughters were tasty that was okay with us. :laughing:

Oddly perhaps, I didn't experience any racism, incoming or outgoing, when I lived in the Jewish East End - perhaps because they looked much like anyone else - or perhaps because the Cable Street battles had sorted it earlier.

But back to your point, yes it's bollocks. "Tolerance" in this context is mostly a middle-class concept - still worth promoting though.
McAz

Postby CUPID » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Dean wrote:
Mickyboy wrote:It's becoming impossible to get a straight answer to anything or to promote sensible debate on this forum without the trolls jumping in with both feet, so I think I'm done here again.........

You sound offended, Micky?

Oh dear, the boyfriends have fallen out :gigglesnshit:

So, is it handbags at dawn :gigglesnshit:

Or is it going to be them throwing shit at each other, that is the qustion?
:pmsl:
CUPID

Postby Vam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:your intepretation is that they rose above it, it isn't a fact

and you clearly don't understand what a marketing department is, why would they care if it caused some people to make a fuss............ errrrrrrr dunno, let's see if we can work it out

You'd have to be pretty thick to think an entire marketing department were unaware, or in your case 'it just didn't click', of an association between monkeys and perceived racism. I can't imagine a single business person being unaware tbh, let alone how many people there are in their marketing team.

I think it's safe to assume they were aware, but went ahead with it anyway, therefore rising above it and not pandering to the everything is racist mob.

You could well be right that they went ahead regardless, Red. In an ideal world, something like this shouldn't be a problem.

But we live in a far from ideal world. People can be pig-ignorant and if one black kid wearing that hoodie gets a hard time in the schoolyard because of it then, imo, that's one kid too many.

I seriously doubt many black parents would be prepared to let their child wear something like that, anyway.
Vam

Postby HobbitFeet » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:your intepretation is that they rose above it, it isn't a fact

and you clearly don't understand what a marketing department is, why would they care if it caused some people to make a fuss............ errrrrrrr dunno, let's see if we can work it out

You'd have to be pretty thick to think an entire marketing department were unaware, or in your case 'it just didn't click', of an association between monkeys and perceived racism. I can't imagine a single business person being unaware tbh, let alone how many people there are in their marketing team.

I think it's safe to assume they were aware, but went ahead with it anyway, therefore rising above it and not pandering to the everything is racist mob.

you'd have to be pretty thick to say when shown an image of a bungalow

'that's not a bungalow it's a house with no stairs'

but still you did just that

so your snidey little 'you'd have to be pretty thick' comments really don't cut the mustard
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Lucian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:29 pm

CUPID wrote:
Dean wrote:
Mickyboy wrote:It's becoming impossible to get a straight answer to anything or to promote sensible debate on this forum without the trolls jumping in with both feet, so I think I'm done here again.........

You sound offended, Micky?

Oh dear, the boyfriends have fallen out :gigglesnshit:

So, is it handbags at dawn :gigglesnshit:

Or is it going to be them throwing shit at each other, that is the qustion?
:pmsl:

Hi

Well, what can we say

:pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
Lucian

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:

so your snidey little 'you'd have to be pretty thick' comments really don't cut the mustard

LMAO - wtf? An out of context several years old comment from another forum is relevant to this discussion because.....?

I know calling you thick hits a nerve, but come on, no need to demonstrate it so readily.

Perhaps you could show us how intelligent you really are then by elaborating on your point that an entire marketing team, plus photographer, art director and any number of assistants, possibly some of them black themselves, between them were unaware that monkeys are associated with perceived racism.

That they naively, 'stupidly'. 'it just didn't click' until it was too late, went ahead and put this 'racist' picture out.
Red Okktober

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

LMAO - wtf? An out of context several years old comment from another forum is relevant to this discussion because.....?

I know calling you thick hits a nerve, but come on, no need to demonstrate it so readily.

Perhaps you could show us how intelligent you really are then by elaborating on your point that an entire marketing team, plus photographer, art director and any number of assistants, possibly some of them black themselves, between them were unaware that monkeys are associated with perceived racism.

That they naively, 'stupidly'. 'it just didn't click' until it was too late, went ahead and put this 'racist' picture out.

Knowing full well it was offensive and that it would generate more publicity for them than just a run of the mill picture showing a garment would.

Deliberately acting offensively to achieve more publicity is pretty sick tbh
Fletch

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Mickyboy wrote:IMO FWIW I think the world has gone mad bcos you can't say this, you can't say that etc etc etc.......

A black kid wears a hoodie/sweatshirt with the words 'Coolest Monkey In The Jungle' and I really don't see what the big deal is bcos I was always called a little monkey or a cheeky monkey, so I think some people really need to get over themselves, which is what the mother of the kid in the ad said, or would nothing have been said if it'd been a white kid in the ad........

Also this ridiculous story about a school for girls where the teachers are now being told they can't call the pupils girls in case a transwotsit gets upset even though its still going to be called a school for girls, you couldn't make this shit up.......

People are going to be scared to open their mouths soon in case someone takes offence, and don't even get me started on this gender non binary nonsense, you're either a boy or a girl end of.......

I've only read around half the replies.
You've made this thread a few times because I know I always make the same reply and that is .... when the powers that be dictate what words you cannot say they are controlling what you can think.
That's dangerous.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Last edited by Rolluplostinspace on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Even twice as dangerous :gigglesnshit:
Fletch

Postby Text » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 am

Widdicombe's dogwhistling shite. Boring! :bored:
Text

Postby Puzzler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 am

Rockstar wrote:
Mickyboy wrote:
Racist rants....confirmed racist!!!!!! How fucking dare you!!!! I haven't got a racist bone in my body and I've never made a racist post on any forum you fucking liar!!!!! :grrrrr:

Don't get offended Michaelson....

Oh go fuck yasen, leave Mick alone ya trolling cunt... :off head:
Puzzler

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am

To say that the marketing department didn't know what they were doing with that 'little monkey' advert is ridiculous.

It's like saying that Sinn Fein MP Barry McElduff didn't realise that getting someone to film him walking around a supermarket grinning, whilst balancing a loaf of Kingsmill bread on his head on the anniversary of the Kingsmill massacre, where 11 protestant factory workers were executed by the side of the road, would cause offence. :shake head:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 am

ooops wrong thread
Last edited by HobbitFeet on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am

HobbitFeet wrote:oh fgs stop muddying the water by talking about skin colour and other nonsense, and stop presenting figures in a skewed way with guesswork thrown in for good measure

British or not is simple

Foreign-born people constituted 41% of Inner London’s population in 2015 (the highest share among all regions with comparable data).

In 2015, the UK population was 13.5% foreign-born (up from 7% in 1993)

Poland is the most common country of birth and the most common country of nationality

link - http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u ... -overview/

so 59% of the population of inner London in 2015 was British born

So 41% were not...that's a lot, isn't it?
Holly
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms