Bullies.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Bullies.

Postby Holly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:44 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Holly wrote:It's rather interesting that large parents have large children. It's very difficult for teens to lose weight, especially when the pressure is on with school and of course the bullying. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that bullying will make things worse. It really needs to stop. Bigger punishment needs to be handed out to bullies in schools, there should be a zero acceptance policy. I don't think any of those overweight teen sit there thinking...I want to be fat.

No, nobody really decides they want to be fat, but they do want to do the thing which has weight gain as a side effect - eat a lot of calories. I guess they have to decide if they want to be slim or if they want to eat - if you know what I mean. :gigglesnshit: I think that the majority of teenage girls are slim so an overweight one really stands out. In middle age, loads of women are overweight so they don't stand out so much. :mrgreen:

I think "fat" girls don't know how to beat the cycle. I don't quite know how to express myself in this particular situation. I think overweight girls have a complex as soon as they start school, they will feel excluded as soon as they get to know their slimmer classmates, and since kids are cruel, they will get bullied from the get go...so in response, rather than trying to lose weight, they will comfort eat. I feel children like that should get a lot more help in schools, since obesity is such a huge problem in the western world.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 am

Lambert wrote:
Fletch wrote:Everything is about body image these days. From catwalk models to film/tv right through to people sun bathing on a hot day in UK. All the media tries to protray is this waif like or 'toned' image with asses on display and clothing that has to be stuck to women's boobs to stop it falling off. Is it any wonder youngsters grow up with this preconceived idea of what is 'right'?

It's not right to be that fat Fletch, especially at such a young age. Trying to normalise obesity by white knighting and blaming all the bad things in the world on the Daily Mail doesn't help anyone. No, neither does bullying, but parents have a responsibility to help their child grow up as healthy as possible.

Certainly agree with that :thumbsup:

But I don't think enough people realise how the thyroid gland can drastically affect people's metabolism and weight gain/loss.

I was finally diagnosed hypERthyroidism around a year or so ago, after my weight plummeted by around 23kilos within 6 months. By the time I was diagnosed, I looked emaciated - a walking skeleton - and at critical risk of multiple organ failure. Surgery removed all the nodules in my thyroid, and equilibrium was restored.

Conversely, a hypOthyroidism irregularity can be a major contributor to extreme weight gain.

People really shouldn't laugh off the possibility of weight being affected by a glandular irregularity.
Vam

Postby Lambert » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 am

Fletch wrote:
Lambert wrote:
Fletch wrote:Everything is about body image these days. From catwalk models to film/tv right through to people sun bathing on a hot day in UK. All the media tries to protray is this waif like or 'toned' image with asses on display and clothing that has to be stuck to women's boobs to stop it falling off. Is it any wonder youngsters grow up with this preconceived idea of what is 'right'?

It's not right to be that fat Fletch, especially at such a young age. Trying to normalise obesity by white knighting and blaming all the bad things in the world on the Daily Mail doesn't help anyone. No, neither does bullying, but parents have a responsibility to help their child grow up as healthy as possible.

Right wing sorts are so judgemental. :shake head:

I'd atart with passing laws about what can go in to processed food and what has to be declared in large writing on such meals. The sugar, fructose, chemicals preservatives that hide in massive amounts within processed food is a real problem, especially true of foods aimed at children. (and drinks). The whole western world has grown larger with the increase in processed foods being more widely available. Picking on individual children isn't going to stop the problem. Years ago, without the need to plaster oneself all over social media, these things would be dealt with locally. Now they are used by the media as click bait and reinforce the message that 'toned with pert derrière' is the only look that is acceptable. Open your eyes to the real problem here, it's not that child.

There was nothing judgmental in my post, Fletch. And nobody suggested that bullying is the solution to increasing levels of obesity. How about you cut out the strawman crap when you reply to people, eh? I'd prefer not to have to wade through that stuff to find an actual point worth responding to.
Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:42 am

Vam wrote:Certainly agree with that :thumbsup:

But I don't think enough people realise how the thyroid gland can drastically affect people's metabolism and weight gain/loss.

I was finally diagnosed hypERthyroidism around a year or so ago, after my weight plummeted by around 23kilos within 6 months. By the time I was diagnosed, I looked emaciated - a walking skeleton - and at critical risk of multiple organ failure. Surgery removed all the nodules in my thyroid, and equilibrium was restored.

Conversely, a hypOthyroidism irregularity can be a major contributor to extreme weight gain.

People really shouldn't laugh off the possibility of weight being affected by a glandular irregularity.

I'd like to know what percentage of obesity is caused by factors other than lack of exercise and/or eating too much. I couldn't find the info with a brief search.
Lambert

Postby Vam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Lambert wrote:
Vam wrote:Certainly agree with that :thumbsup:

I'd like to know what percentage of obesity is caused by factors other than lack of exercise and/or eating too much. I couldn't find the info with a brief search.

No idea, Lambo, and I might try checking that out too.

What I'm saying is that weight can SOMETIMES be affected by factors unconnected to diet/excercise.

I'd certainly urge anyone noticing a very sudden weight loss/gain to get their thyroid checked ASAP.
Vam

Postby NastyNickers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Holly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Holly wrote:It's rather interesting that large parents have large children. It's very difficult for teens to lose weight, especially when the pressure is on with school and of course the bullying. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that bullying will make things worse. It really needs to stop. Bigger punishment needs to be handed out to bullies in schools, there should be a zero acceptance policy. I don't think any of those overweight teen sit there thinking...I want to be fat.

No, nobody really decides they want to be fat, but they do want to do the thing which has weight gain as a side effect - eat a lot of calories. I guess they have to decide if they want to be slim or if they want to eat - if you know what I mean. :gigglesnshit: I think that the majority of teenage girls are slim so an overweight one really stands out. In middle age, loads of women are overweight so they don't stand out so much. :mrgreen:

I think "fat" girls don't know how to beat the cycle. I don't quite know how to express myself in this particular situation. I think overweight girls have a complex as soon as they start school, they will feel excluded as soon as they get to know their slimmer classmates, and since kids are cruel, they will get bullied from the get go...so in response, rather than trying to lose weight, they will comfort eat. I feel children like that should get a lot more help in schools, since obesity is such a huge problem in the western world.

I think you’re right Holly. It’s a shitty cycle to break. Growing up I was always sport and skinny. Really skinny. Then I got depressed and then I got fat. And it was a twat. The fatter I got the worse I felt, the less I went out and the more I ate.
And that went on and on. It’s really fucking hard to break that cycle.

Exercise is as important as food though. You have to be moving, burning off those extra cals. I think fat parents contribute to that, too. They are less likely to be dragging their kids on walks and making them lead active lives as youngsters. Add in technology and mobiles and computers. It’s a world of sitting on your arse eating shit.
NastyNickers

Postby Major » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 pm

I would advise anyone having/noticing any unusual abnormalities of their body to seek medical advice IMMEDIATELY.
Catch probs early and you usually have a better survival rate.
Major
Twat.

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms