What is the meaning of Life ?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 pm

Stooo wrote:
charlie wrote:Again, for the uneducated what does it mean?

The future is not particularly hopeful...

actually it is
old people are dying
old ways are dying with them...
:thumbsup:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby McAz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 pm

If we are the universe talking to itself - god help it.
McAz

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 pm

McAz wrote:If we are the universe talking to itself - god help it.

i think we have had enough of gods help...
:thumbsup:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Stooo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 pm

One electron, everywhere at once. The closest thing that we have to god.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Stooo wrote:

It's mine - I take it with me when I go - and you all disappear.
McAz

Postby Cobs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Stooo wrote:

Have you been reading? That's always a mistake.
Cobs

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Big Fat Frosty

Postby charlie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 am

Keyser wrote:
charlie wrote:
Keyser wrote:
charlie wrote:
Keyser wrote:From a purely biological perspective simply to pass on our genes.

As for the question in a deeper manner we must make our own meaning in our lives as the Universe is not good or evil - it is simply utterly indifferent which is why the human race populated the sky with the thousands of Gods we created to give us comfort - none of whom are real of course.

A comet or meteor could wipe out the planet's life tomorrow (apart from bacteria and Tardigrades) - and the Cosmos would grind relentlessly on until it's final Heat Death.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy are a bitch.

Very philosophical - but for the uneducated, what the hell does it mean?

The eventual and inevitable Heat Death of the Universe Charlie. X

Again, for the uneducated what does it mean?

Maybe a link would help, Keyser? - as not all of us are blessed with scientific knowledge.....

:thumbsup: X

http://www.askamathematician.com/2015/0 ... pen-again/

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae181.cfm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zwtj2hv

That's very helpful - thank you very much.

I will read the links forthwith. :smilin:
charlie

Postby Punk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 am

I know the Meaning of Life.
It doesn't help me a bit.
I know beauty.
And I know a good thing when I see it. (H Devoto)

:header:
Punk

Postby Trapper John » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:07 am

There is no greater meaning to life - you give life meaning. Whilst on this Earth you have created meaning by your actions - when you leave some of that meaning remains for others, for you it's gone.

Crowd a thousand people into a room with just one door and set fire to it - that will reveal the meaning of life.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Helena » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 am

Gosh. I came in here thinking it would be the same arguments and funny quips etc, this forum is therapy for me at the minute, at a particularly shite time, and I'm really sorry to read some of your stories. Charlie like you I'm drinking too much.

Last night I visited my brother, he's got cancer of the bowel and has a tumour in his chest and is lying in hospital waiting to die. Every breath is painful for him and i looked in his eyes and thought, God I hope it comes soon, he's suffering so much. I don't have my mum and dad any more and that was heart breaking, but this is my big brother and i can't get my head round how unfair it is.

So my husband and i got in our car and drove home, had a takeaway and a drink, and all I could think of was him there in that bed and wondered if he is frightened and what's going through his mind.

So I have no fucking clue at the minute what it's all a fucking bout.
Helena

Postby dis » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am

Helena Handbasket wrote:Gosh. I came in here thinking it would be the same arguments and funny quips etc, this forum is therapy for me at the minute, at a particularly shite time, and I'm really sorry to read some of your stories. Charlie like you I'm drinking too much.

Last night I visited my brother, he's got cancer of the bowel and has a tumour in his chest and is lying in hospital waiting to die. Every breath is painful for him and i looked in his eyes and thought, God I hope it comes soon, he's suffering so much. I don't have my mum and dad any more and that was heart breaking, but this is my big brother and i can't get my head round how unfair it is.

So my husband and i got in our car and drove home, had a takeaway and a drink, and all I could think of was him there in that bed and wondered if he is frightened and what's going through his mind.

Oh I am so sorry to read that. It's hellish for you. Two people in our family have got bowel cancer and are going through aggressive treatment but there isn't much hope.
dis

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:28 am

Helena Handbasket wrote:Gosh. I came in here thinking it would be the same arguments and funny quips etc, this forum is therapy for me at the minute, at a particularly shite time, and I'm really sorry to read some of your stories. Charlie like you I'm drinking too much.

Sorry to hear that - that sucks big time. Just remember that you have the chance to say whatever you need to say to him though because you know what's going to happen. If someone dies without warning, you don't have that chance.
Raggamuffin

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:29 am

Huge loves :wubbers:
NastyNickers

Postby McAz » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:44 am

Some things are incomprehensible from a human perspective - and they can never be otherwise.

We have a neice in her early thirties now riddled with cancer which is not responding to treatment. She has no immediate family of her own so to give some warmth to her life and something to care for her mother got her a puppy. She doted on it, but after 5 months it died of a weak heart. Shit happens eh?

But what possible use is there in dwelling on such things? Pain is part of life and must be endured, but suffering is something we can mitigate by at least trying each day to look at the wonder of existence in equal measure to the horror. Darkness is not bad, it just isn’t light.

Learn to cry out when you must and laugh in the spaces in-between.
Last edited by McAz on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug