Abandoned Dog

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Abandoned Dog

Postby measurer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:58 pm

The Chinese do but doesn't mean I will.
measurer

Postby McAz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Major wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2014/09/05/countries-that-eat-dog.html

Quite a few eat dogs

Switzerland!! :yikes:

Thought they only ate Toblerone.
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Vam wrote:I think a crucial element for many of us would be whether the dog was already dead, or whether you'd have to actually kill it to survive :bawlin:

I had to kill my own dog.
Twenty five years back now.
It was horrible.
It's when I had the farm.
My collie was on a chain by it's kennel by the main entrance.
It was never there more than a couple of hours but it was convenient to get him out the way now and then and for his own safety.
A local farmer who had no right hurtled through the open gate and caught the chain which twisted round the dog dragged him around the back wheel and this resulted in the dogs innards being pulled out through his mouth.
I got him off the chain picked him up carried him into a shed grabbed a spade and broke his neck and slit his bulging throat with one blow.
I was seriously shook up.
The farmer looked at me and roared off.
In fear.
He phoned me later telling me how shook up he was.
He came round to talk to me and we became good friends.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:05 pm

That's awful - but I'd like to think that any decent person would do it, despite the distress to themselves.
Last edited by McAz on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby Vam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm

McAz wrote:
I thought only Korea eat dog?

I don't suppose there's anything wrong with it in principle - but not your pet dog. :yikes:

Yeah, but Koreans tend to eat any old shite. I used to see them on a Saudi Arabian beach scrabbling about in the sea, and using a knife to scoop out whatever they'd pick out of the water and then immediately eating it... :yikes: One of my most abiding memories (and I wish it wasnt!)
Vam

Postby McAz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Vam wrote:
McAz wrote:

I don't suppose there's anything wrong with it in principle - but not your pet dog. :yikes:

Yeah, but Koreans tend to eat any old shite. I used to see them on a Saudi Arabian beach scrabbling about in the sea, and using a knife to scoop out whatever they'd pick out of the water and then immediately eating it... :yikes: One of my most abiding memories (and I wish it wasnt!)

Urggh.
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:08 pm

McAz wrote:That's awful - but anyone with compassion would do it, despite the distress to themselves.

My wife drove me to the nearest pub to get me away from there.
I didn't want to go to friends I wanted to run.
She lashed me up with whiskey and said over and over more or less what you just said.
A friend had to bury the dog I couldn't do it.
Couldn't go in the shed and look at my friend lying there.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Keyser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Vam wrote:
McAz wrote:

Jesus wept! :kinell:
Keyser

Postby Vam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Vam wrote:I think a crucial element for many of us would be whether the dog was already dead, or whether you'd have to actually kill it to survive :bawlin:

It was horrible.
It was never there more than a couple of hours but it was convenient to get him out the way now and then and for his own safety.
A local farmer who had no right hurtled through the open gate and caught the chain which twisted round the dog dragged him around the back wheel and this resulted in the dogs innards being pulled out through his mouth.
I got him off the chain picked him up carried him into a shed grabbed a spade and broke his neck and slit his bulging throat with one blow.
In fear.

Jesus...Jack.... that must have been horrendous.

I think could probably kill a terrified animal suffering and howling in pain and distress, but ONLY if getting it help in time to try and save it isn't a viable option.
Vam

Postby McAz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:That's awful - but anyone with compassion would do it, despite the distress to themselves.

My wife drove me to the nearest pub to get me away from there.
I didn't want to go to friends I wanted to run.
She lashed me up with whiskey and said over and over more or less what you just said.
A friend had to bury the dog I couldn't do it.
Couldn't go in the shed and look at my friend lying there.

I can understand that. I've had to see many of my animal friends through their final moments, (nothing like that though) - it's never easy.

You did the compassionate thing but that doesn't stop it hurting.
Last edited by McAz on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby Vam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Keyser wrote:
Vam wrote:
McAz wrote:

Jesus wept! :kinell:

True story, Keys. Years ago when I was working out there, but I've never forgotten it.... :ooer:
Vam

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm

I had to kill a frog a few years back and my daughter about ten at the time now in her thirties refused to speak to me for days.
I pulled the car up jumped out went in a phone box.
When I'd done the heavy door was more difficult to open than it should have been.
This phone box wasn't on a nice neat pavement but on a very rocky stone strewn surface in the middle of nowhere.
The frog was presumably trying to squeeze under the door.
Big fat pregnant one.
The door broke it's back and legs as it dragged the poor thing across the rough surface.
I picked up a boulder and finished the poor thing off.
Took about three days to get my daughter to understand why I did what I did.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Keyser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:I had to kill a frog a few years back and my daughter about ten at the time now in her thirties refused to speak to me for days.
I pulled the car up jumped out went in a phone box.
When I'd done the heavy door was more difficult to open than it should have been.
This phone box wasn't on a nice neat pavement but on a very rocky stone strewn surface in the middle of nowhere.
The frog was presumably trying to squeeze under the door.
Big fat pregnant one.
The door broke it's back and legs as it dragged the poor thing across the rough surface.
I picked up a boulder and finished the poor thing off.
Took about three days to get my daughter to understand why I did what I did.

I love frogs - such beautiful little animals.

It's not like it was now (I hope) but a lot of kids used to be really cruel to them in the past.
Keyser

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Vam wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

It was horrible.
In fear.

Jesus...Jack.... that must have been horrendous.

I think could probably kill a terrified animal suffering and howling in pain and distress, but ONLY if getting it help in time to try and save it isn't a viable option.

To get a vet would have meant much suffering whilst waiting and it was an instinctive thing looking at the state of him that no vet was going to save him.
I feel I did the best thing.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Last thing I killed was a pheasant - it ran into my car and virtually destroyed the front bumper/panel. Cost me (well, starbold) the best part of a week's welfare money. I can't say I wept much for its plight.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms