Richest 1% get 82% of the Wealth

A right load of bollocks...

Richest 1% get 82% of the Wealth

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Just 42 people own the same amount of wealth as the poorest 50 percent worldwide, a new study by global charity Oxfam claimed.

In a report published Monday, Oxfam called for action to tackle the growing gap between the super-rich and the rest of the world. Approximately 82 percent of the money generated last year went to the richest 1 percent of the global population, the report said, while the poorest half saw no increase at all.

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/inequality-gap-widens-worlds-richest-1-get-82-wealth-oxfam-says

First one to post "politics of envy" in a limp attempt to defend such avarice gets a free membership to UKIP. :thumbsup:
McAz

Re: Richest 1% get 82% of the Wealth

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:31 pm

:shake head:

The day of the rope is nigh...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rockstar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Just today I read in India, the top 1% own 73% of the wealth...
Rockstar

Postby Lambert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 pm

You only have to earn 25 grand a year to be in the world's top 1%. The revolution sure is taking its time.
Lambert

Postby Fletch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Neo liberalism, see NHS thread in news for more details. Wizzy seems to think I invented it though, or it doesn't exist. :mrgreen:

When the Carillion signboards began to appear on building sites in the Blair era, I suspected something fishy was going on. Carillion wasn't a real word.

It wasn't anyone's name and it didn't mean anything. And it probably wasn't really a company either.

I knew I was supposed to believe that the Thatcher era had begun a new age of freedom, but it looked to me more like a new age of money-making, in which nobody was really responsible for anything any more.

And so it is. Complain to the BBC about one of its biased programmes, and your complaint is actually handled by an outfit called Capita. I say handled. I mean stonewalled.

I am not sure if any of the responsible people at the BBC ever even find out that a complaint has been made against them. They certainly don't change their ways.

Somehow the same outfit is also in charge of the great failure which is Army recruiting.

And I think this versatile body pursues the parents of children who play truant from schools.

Ah, yes, schools. They are mostly 'academies' now, run by mysterious 'trusts' and financed by a government office which is almost impossible to find or question.

As far as I can see, when a school becomes an 'academy', the first thing that happens is the head teacher buys a big new house – in the same way that directors of privatised rail-operating companies often seem to acquire villas in the Caribbean.

Rivers of public gold can be poured quite legally into the pockets of people who do not seem to do anything especially good in return for the huge payments they attract.

What is so good about all this? I'm sick of hearing about how long it took to get a telephone in the days of nationalisation.

So it did, but that was partly because it was just before new technology allowed a huge expansion in phone lines.

And have these people tried getting anything out of free, privatised BT? If you want any formerly public service, it's now always an agency or a service company or a call centre.

Actually, I like the public sector, the old sort, of town clerks, coal boards and men in peaked caps.

-----------

I put the above up in news and asked wizzy if was more lefty fantasy. He declined to respond so I'll reveal the author here.

PETER HITCHENS: Oh, for our lost world of town clerks and men in peaked caps where everything worked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -caps.html
Fletch

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Lambert wrote:You only have to earn 25 grand a year to be in the world's top 1%. The revolution sure is taking its time.

"Just 42 people own the same amount of wealth as the poorest 50 percent worldwide" - how much do you have to "earn" to be one of the 42?
McAz

Postby Lambert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 pm

McAz wrote:
Lambert wrote:You only have to earn 25 grand a year to be in the world's top 1%. The revolution sure is taking its time.

"Just 42 people own the same amount of wealth as the poorest 50 percent worldwide" - how much do you have to "earn" to be one of the 42?

Dunno, look it up. I'm not defending the status quo.
Lambert

Postby Fletch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Lambert wrote:
McAz wrote:

:shell:
Fletch

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Lambert wrote:
McAz wrote:

Shame, you nearly won the free lifetime UKIP membership prize - oh well.
McAz

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Lambert wrote:
McAz wrote:

Shame, you almost won the free lifetime UKIP membership prize - oh well.
McAz

Postby Lambert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Fletch wrote:
Lambert wrote:
McAz wrote:

:shell:

The status quo is clearly indefensible. Not sure why that qualifies me as a liar :dunno:
Lambert

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Rockstar wrote:Just today I read in India, the top 1% own 73% of the wealth...

We're talking money here, not cows.
Last edited by Trapper John on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Does it matter though? 1% isn't very high, and poorer people are not likely to aspire to being one of the 1%.
Raggamuffin

Postby Markey mark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 pm

And good luck to them , just imagine how many businesses this few have and the milllions employees they have that earn a wage ,
Markey mark

Postby Lucian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Rockstar wrote:Just today I read in India, the top 1% own 73% of the wealth...

We're talking money here, not cows.

Hi Jonny

You ignorance has no boundaries, fact!!!

:gigglesnshit: :gigglesnshit:
Lucian

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms