Will we ever become a cashless society?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Rockstar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:38 am

Vam wrote:How in hell would we tip cabbies/hairdressers/waiters, etc? Would they be expected to have their own personal card machines? :ooer:


There is already an app for that....I saw it on Shark Tank IIRC....
Alcohol is a perfect solvent : It dissolves marriages,families and careers.
User avatar
Rockstar
 
Posts: 7423
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:48 am

Vam wrote:
Guest wrote:you're all annoying me a bit with your passive fatal acceptance. there are more of us than there are of them, stand up for yourselves.

we won't become a cashless society, too many minority groups are reliant on cash for it to fully change. travellers, for instance, are mainly cash only. it would be a breach of human rights to force people who have traditionally lived that way to become cashless.


Fair points, but I'm seeing this thread as a bit of "what if...?" speculation.

If cashless were ever to be foisted on us, there's no doubt there'd be widespread protests everywhere.


please stop being reasonable, i want to be cross. :laughing:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Vam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 am

Guest wrote:
Vam wrote:
Guest wrote:you're all annoying me a bit with your passive fatal acceptance. there are more of us than there are of them, stand up for yourselves.

we won't become a cashless society, too many minority groups are reliant on cash for it to fully change. travellers, for instance, are mainly cash only. it would be a breach of human rights to force people who have traditionally lived that way to become cashless.


Fair points, but I'm seeing this thread as a bit of "what if...?" speculation.

If cashless were ever to be foisted on us, there's no doubt there'd be widespread protests everywhere.


please stop being reasonable, i want to be cross. :laughing:


Just call me Kofi. And have a great big *MWAH!* :wubbers:
User avatar
Vam
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Vam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:54 am

Rockstar wrote:
Vam wrote:How in hell would we tip cabbies/hairdressers/waiters, etc? Would they be expected to have their own personal card machines? :ooer:


There is already an app for that....I saw it on Shark Tank IIRC....


They can shove their app up their jacksee :roll: I like seeing a waitress smile when I put cold hard cash in her hand....
User avatar
Vam
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:56 am

Vam wrote:
Guest wrote:
Vam wrote:
Guest wrote:you're all annoying me a bit with your passive fatal acceptance. there are more of us than there are of them, stand up for yourselves.

we won't become a cashless society, too many minority groups are reliant on cash for it to fully change. travellers, for instance, are mainly cash only. it would be a breach of human rights to force people who have traditionally lived that way to become cashless.


Fair points, but I'm seeing this thread as a bit of "what if...?" speculation.

If cashless were ever to be foisted on us, there's no doubt there'd be widespread protests everywhere.


please stop being reasonable, i want to be cross. :laughing:


Just call me Kofi. And have a great big *MWAH!* :wubbers:


thanks kofivam/vamkofi. :wubbers:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Rockstar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Vam wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
Vam wrote:How in hell would we tip cabbies/hairdressers/waiters, etc? Would they be expected to have their own personal card machines? :ooer:


There is already an app for that....I saw it on Shark Tank IIRC....


They can shove their app up their jacksee :roll: I like seeing a waitress smile when I put cold hard cash in her hand....


I wouldn't know anything about a waitress's smile..We Indians are horrible tippers... :oops:

In fact some of my mates pay via card at restaurants so they aren't under the obligation to leave change behind... :paranoid:

I tip at 8%ish card or cash btw... :snooty:
Alcohol is a perfect solvent : It dissolves marriages,families and careers.
User avatar
Rockstar
 
Posts: 7423
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Rockstar wrote:
Vam wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
Vam wrote:How in hell would we tip cabbies/hairdressers/waiters, etc? Would they be expected to have their own personal card machines? :ooer:


There is already an app for that....I saw it on Shark Tank IIRC....


They can shove their app up their jacksee :roll: I like seeing a waitress smile when I put cold hard cash in her hand....


I wouldn't know anything about a waitress's smile..We Indians are horrible tippers... :oops:

In fact some of my mates pay via card at restaurants so they aren't under the obligation to leave change behind... :paranoid:

I tip at 8%ish card or cash btw... :snooty:


make sure the waitress will actually get the tip if you do it by card, a lot of places don't pass it on.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Cobs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Guest wrote:make sure the waitress will actually get the tip if you do it by card, a lot of places don't pass it on.

I always ask them 'Who's the troncmaster?' before I tip.
User avatar
Cobs
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Vam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Cobs wrote:
Guest wrote:make sure the waitress will actually get the tip if you do it by card, a lot of places don't pass it on.

I always ask them 'Who's the troncmaster?' before I tip.


Too right. Especially when many restaurant owners help themselves to a share of their staff's tips. That's obscene...
User avatar
Vam
 
Posts: 12253
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby measurer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:
Nucks wrote:Would it bother you if we did?

I still use cash quite a bit and have a part time job which I get paid cash for, so I think I would miss it.

Do you think it would cut down on criminal activity, or is it just another push for government control (knowing what, where and how much we spend)?


Apparantly, an "app" has been developed that allows "sources" to "access and read" your bank account, in order to "sweep" excess cash into a savings account so that you don't "waste it". I find that horrifying and have warned my lot (who seem to be into "apps" ) to go nowhere near it. I don't like this contactless card malarkey much either. It'll be fingerprints to pay for stuff next.


I dislike contactless too, my last bankcard I asked for it not to be - they said it wasn't possible, all new cards are contactless. We will never have any choice it will always be just lumped on us.



Move bank then. I requested not to have it on mine and it was no problem. I also found out that contactless payments aren't as quick, therefore meaning you may think you have more funds than you do, which may lead to a charge for overdrawing money. No wonder they want you to have one!
“Originality always wins over copycats in the final run as copycats have limited prowess to ideate and craft.”

Anuj Somany
User avatar
measurer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8624
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: Taking care of business...

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm

It's all taking shape already.
India have had the biggest move forced upon them causing hunger death chaos.
A Well-Kept Open Secret: Washington Is Behind India’s Brutal Demonetization Project
https://www.globalresearch.ca/a-well-ke ... ct/5566167

It's not a cashless society that is being shaped but a cashless world .... the whole world.
How will you give me twenty quid as a thankyou?
You'll transfer digits from your account to mine using your phone.
You'll be charged for doing it.
I'll be charged for receiving it.

Europe have been planning and implementing it.
Closer to home the closing down of bank branches is accelerating and there are towns in Wales where getting cash is almost impossible but who cares I have my card.

Contactless cards?
Walk in any large branch of boots and they are reading your card before you even take it out of your pocket.
You'll notice adverts then start appearing on your phone pc etc that are deemed relevant to you.
The tech is in place for you to go shopping without removing your card from your wallet.
Forget automated tills there'll be no tills.
You paid as you shopped.

Some articles here ..... https://www.globalresearch.ca/search?q= ... &x=13&y=17
My music making hobby ..... https://www.reverbnation.com/jackbackband
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:41 pm

As soon as you walk in store, your mobile gives you away. This provides the retailer with sufficient information to identify your age and gender, whether you are are a high value customer and your spending habits.
There are no laws or guidelines limiting their use and as soon as it gets into the wrong hands problems occur. One would not normally think that our own security services would be a threat to innocent civilians going about their lawful business.

Police forces in England and Wales have uploaded up to 18 million “mugshots” to a facial recognition database – despite a court ruling to be unlawful. They include photos of people never charged, or others cleared of an offence, and were uploaded without Home Office approval.

Last year, for the first time, the majority of payments were made without cash – either on the internet or phone, or through electronic payment systems.

Biometric data is also a huge threat to our privacy. The boundary between commercial and government data is porous at best. Biometric identifiers are stolen all the time. It’s easy to replace a swiped credit card, but good luck changing the patterns on your iris or changing your fingerprints once stolen in an Apple hack.
Imagine a future in which soon, a government staff member could suspect an individual of some misconduct, or perhaps deem that person’s politics or speech unacceptable. It would take just a few keystrokes to order all financial institutions to decline any withdrawal or payment from that individual or at least freeze any access to funds.


he theft of personal information is rampant – 4 million TalkTalk customers including bank details, Vodafone customer details and multiple bank hack attacks costing millions to name just a few. But the mother of all non-stop leaks are the dozens of government data losses covering tens of millions of citizen details; from new born baby data to cancer victims, from nuclear power secrets to state secrets of the Ministry of Defence. In just one case, the tax office ‘lost’ the very personal details of 25 million British citizens and their dependency on the state.

Identity theft, fraud and terrorism are real problems. Used properly, biometrics could help protect against them. But the potential for misuse is glaringly obvious, especially in the hands of the most untrustworthy of organisations – the government. https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-extin ... ty/5486146
My music making hobby ..... https://www.reverbnation.com/jackbackband
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:46 pm

I like to have cash.
I'm old fashioned like that.
Over the last few years its been frowned upon to be seen with a wedge.
If you have cash you must be a crook or be poor.
Having cash has on three occasions that spring to mind immediately has saved the day where the cash registers have gone down in supermarkets but because I've had cash in my pocket I've been okay.
Must be ten years back I tried to purchase two brand new and then high end mobile phones but couldn't purchase them because they had no facilities to handle cash.
Carphone warehouse maybe?
Once there's no cash your ownership by the banks will become more apparent.
Bail ins have already been legalised too.
My music making hobby ..... https://www.reverbnation.com/jackbackband
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 2470
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Cobs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:26 pm

It's not a global conspiracy, just convenience mostly. Last figures I saw were cash retail transactions at around 40-45% and projected to decline to circa 25-30% in 10 years time.
User avatar
Cobs
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Not for the foreseeable future I think.

It will probably be like paperless offices which have been discussed for decades but are still not anywhere near total coverage.

I carry less cash around with me there days though for certain and rarely pay for anything over £100 by cash.
User avatar
Avon Barksdale
 
Posts: 6802
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mickyboy and 15 guests