Dog's Football Thread Part Seven.

Big Threads

Re: Dog's Football Thread Part Seven.

Postby Trapper John » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Atleti don't score prodigiously either, depite Griezman and Costa, the team seem to follow Simeone's pragmatic regime religiously, lets hope he calls it wrong against us.

Not bothered about the league either, Man Utd or otherwise. We need to beat Burnley the week after which should ensure our 6th place, I wasn't worried about that until I realised 7th place gets a Europa qualifier placing. :shake head:

if we don't win the EL and qualify for next season's CL, I'd rather we messed up our league run in (don't think AW will let that happen though seeing as it's his final few games with us) and somehow fail to qualify for next season's EL.

Thursday is a shit day to be playing European football before the more important weekend league fixtures, particularly against teams that aren't in Europe (Newcastle last week, Man Utd next week for example) - its a big disadvantage.

So for me, CL football or nothing re Europe. A year off to rebuild under the new manager, get a top 4 (or better, you never know what affect the new manager will have) - then back as we were.

Yeah, like I said earlier that was my thinking until I discovered 7th place, where Burnley are now, gets a Europa place. So even if we play shit and try to throw it, it's not likely to work as Leicester who are 8th are 10 points behind us.

We need to win the bloody thing or it's Europa all over again next season. :shake head:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Sunny » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:46 am

Trapper John wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Sunny wrote:Hiya TJ, its 8 points actually. :laughing: And lets see if they beat Burnley tonight. Brighton played well, but am happy for Chris their manager as he is spurs at heart, and if that point helps them stay up so be it. Man U won I see, sigh! (soz kat) lol....so what's going to happen Saturday is anyone's guess. And if Liverpool win the CL does that mean 5th place goes CL? Which would be awful unlike before the rule changed when they won the CL and we finished 4th but because they were 5th and won the CL they through us out and they went through. So we ended up missing out. Anyway hope you are well. Its going to be a hot one today am hoping to get some gardening done. :Hiya:

Hi Sunny, yeah off out in a bit myself, lovely weather eh.

I think the league is going to look pretty much the same as it does now, come the end of the season.

On that champions league thing, no if Liverpool win it still stays as it is - no CL for 5th place.

I don't know what would happen though in a case of say Liverpool winning but not in top 4, they changed the rules a few years back that the winner gets the chance to defend their title. So that would be 5 places, then if Arsenal won the Europa league we'd have 6 English teams in the CL - can't see them letting that happen, they'd come up with some rule hidden away somewhere.

Enjoy your day see ya. :Hiya:

That's great, would be so awful if Chelsea got through coz of that.
Tomorrow is the big day for us, and if we lose I will be so unhappy......we need a trophy its been 10 yrs I think since our last one. Give us fans something to cheer about.
Good luck TJ for your match on Thursday, maybe if you guys win Wenger will stay. :awesome:
Another nice day for us, have so many weeds to deal with lol....did a bit yesterday, but still have heaps to do. :Hiya:

I went to a nice BBQ the first of the year is always nice.

I think Spurs need to get an early goal or United will spend all day camped out in their box, go for extra time and try to snatch it that way - you should do it, you are 'at home' after all :mrgreen:

As mush as it chokes me, I'd rather you win to stop United equalling our FA Cup winning record, so good luck.

I'd have preferred Atleti in a one off but we just have to be careful not to concede and be on our A game, they are certainly beatable which is why they are here in this semi final in the first place.

Have a good day :Hiya:

Hi mate.....am embarrassed to say his but I think I am going to miss Wenger but I have this feeling he might go to another PL team, maybe Everton? And I wonder who will come to Arsenal and take over??? How do you feel about the old boy leaving? It might take a while to settle for another manager. End of an era for you guys, wow, cant imagine how it must feel. I know many wanted him out, but he does deserve a good send off from the gooner fans. Which am sure he will get.
Today is the big one for us spurs, am glad u would prefer us to win, lets hope it happens. :thumbsup:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Trapper John » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 am

Sunny wrote:
Hi mate.....am embarrassed to say his but I think I am going to miss Wenger but I have this feeling he might go to another PL team, maybe Everton? And I wonder who will come to Arsenal and take over??? How do you feel about the old boy leaving? It might take a while to settle for another manager. End of an era for you guys, wow, cant imagine how it must feel. I know many wanted him out, but he does deserve a good send off from the gooner fans. Which am sure he will get.
Today is the big one for us spurs, am glad u would prefer us to win, lets hope it happens. :thumbsup:

Yep it's an end of an era, one which I would say was the most successful in Arsenal's history despite recent failings.

I've always been a supporter of Wenger, though in the last few seasons I've doubted his ability to inspire the players. I just hope those who wished him gone don't come to regret it.

In truth Wenger was probably too nice a person to take us to where we want to be, that and the changes at the club he had no control over. His autobiography will be a great read, perhaps then some of these tossers who always ran him down will understand just what he went through for the club.

I will sorely miss him and I've seen a few managers come and go, it's a little surreal to be honest.

I was listening to former gunners keeper and goalkeeping coach Bob Wilson talking about Wenger as a person not a manager, he said in truth he was one of maybe three people he'd met in his entire life who he could honestly say was a near perfect human being.

He got choked up talking when he related how Wenger was to him after he lost his daughter Willow to cancer and then how he never failed to show up and support his 'Willow Foundation' charity - he said he was a true gentleman in every respect.

I'm sad because we'll never see his like again at Arsenal and sad that he was treated so badly in the last few years, he didn't deserve it. I'm also worried that we won't pick the right man to replace him, David Dean could spot a diamond I doubt this lot can, though I am hopeful that the new guard brought in recently have a bit more about them than the old.

It will all come out in the wash as my old mum used to say, so we shall see. :Hiya:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Kat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 am

Cyber hugs miss sunny before the match x
Kat

Postby VelvetCat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Good luck to Spurs later on.

I'm happy again! To come back from 0 - 2 to draw 2 - 2 and possibly could even have won the match was brilliant. We look a different team under Darren Moore, so many if onlys this season.....

Klopp rather unsporting in the after match press conference, saying the pitch wasn't watered at half time, which is a lie the pitch is always watered and there was also a heavy rain shower, most of our game is played in the air (it isn't) and he feels it was 2 points lost as we will be relegated and can play on a dry pitch next season in the Championship.

Well the pitch would've been watered at Anfield in the cup match and they still couldn't beat us! Such a contrast from last week's comments by Mourinio and the press outcry if he had said this.

And it's just been announced that Wolves are champions, well done to them, I just wish we could have the Black Country Derby in the Premier League next season, still hoping Villa stay down to get 6 points off them next season!
VelvetCat

Location: The Hawthorns, loaned to the Championship for another season!

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Sunny wrote:Hi mate.....am embarrassed to say his but I think I am going to miss Wenger but I have this feeling he might go to another PL team, maybe Everton? And I wonder who will come to Arsenal and take over??? How do you feel about the old boy leaving? It might take a while to settle for another manager. End of an era for you guys, wow, cant imagine how it must feel. I know many wanted him out, but he does deserve a good send off from the gooner fans. Which am sure he will get.

Hi Sunny - I'd be surprised if AW went to another PL club after his success at Arsenal and his age. It would only be a bottom to middling club that might want him anyway.

if he wants to continue managing - I'd have though a national team would be more of a probability. I don't think he'd get the France job, but managing a middle east team like Qatar or Kuwait might be a possibility. The perfect job for him, and I have no idea about it's availability, would be managing a second tier European team - like the Swiss.

Tough on Spurs tonight - yet another trophyless season, but a top 4 finish. The fans will get restless soon though.
Red Okktober

Postby Jay Jay » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Sunny wrote:

Yep it's an end of an era, one which I would say was the most successful in Arsenal's history despite recent failings.

I've always been a supporter of Wenger, though in the last few seasons I've doubted his ability to inspire the players. I just hope those who wished him gone don't come to regret it.

In truth Wenger was probably too nice a person to take us to where we want to be, that and the changes at the club he had no control over. His autobiography will be a great read, perhaps then some of these tossers who always ran him down will understand just what he went through for the club.

I will sorely miss him and I've seen a few managers come and go, it's a little surreal to be honest.

I was listening to former gunners keeper and goalkeeping coach Bob Wilson talking about Wenger as a person not a manager, he said in truth he was one of maybe three people he'd met in his entire life who he could honestly say was a near perfect human being.

He got choked up talking when he related how Wenger was to him after he lost his daughter Willow to cancer and then how he never failed to show up and support his 'Willow Foundation' charity - he said he was a true gentleman in every respect.

I'm sad because we'll never see his like again at Arsenal and sad that he was treated so badly in the last few years, he didn't deserve it. I'm also worried that we won't pick the right man to replace him, David Dean could spot a diamond I doubt this lot can, though I am hopeful that the new guard brought in recently have a bit more about them than the old.

It will all come out in the wash as my old mum used to say, so we shall see. :Hiya:

Not a patch on the Chapman era. :mrgreen:
Jay Jay

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:32 am

Jay Jay wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Not a patch on the Chapman era. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I didn't think I'd need to explain the difference in era's.

Anyway, how come you weren't on here bigging up the Hamlet? - a fantastic 0-3 win at nearest rivals for 2nd spot Folkestone, putting you 7 points and a game in hand ahead.

Shame Billericay snatched a 1-2 win at Margate you could have given them a right good run for top and automatic promotion. You never did answer the question where do you go if you get promotion, i'd could look it up I supppose but it's your job really to tell us. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:37 am

So at the end of the season there will be two of the Premier League's biggest players looking for a manager - Arsenal and Chelsea.

Given the history of the clubs in all respects, if you were a manager on the radar and had a choice of either, who would you choose?

I bet when Roman Abramovich and the Chelsea board heard about Wenger going on Friday they let out a concerted sigh 'Bollocks' :mrgreen:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:13 am

Like Red, I agree Wenger will not pitch up at a Premier League club next season for a multitude of reasons.

He would be welcomed at the French national team but I don't think he's had any aspirations to manage an international side for any country.

My bet would be that he'll return to France for a few years. PSG have been chasing him for absolutely ever so that could be a very real possibilty. He has close relations with the owners who, like the City owners, covet the Champions League trophy. Wenger may think he still has it in him for one more major push at that title, who knows?

He could also quite easily return to Monaco, they are producing fine young players and Wenger might see his legacy coming from nurturing some more youngsters into top flight football, it's what he loves to do most.

Of course he'll pundit for French TV at the world cup, he always has but I don't see him looking to punditry as a replacement.

I'm also not sure if he will ever return to Arsenal in any official capacity, somehow I don't think he will - this will have hurt him immensely and I think he'll want a permanent break to his career there, thats maybe a shame or not.

For me, and despite all you've heard from the Wenger Out campaign, for most Arsenal supporters, the man is a legend of the club and always will be - I hope the statue they build to him is bigger than all the others because without his stewardship we wouldn't be one of the biggest football clubs in the world today.

His legacy is not in his League titles and cups, nor even the invincible side, it's in bringing a relatively small and moderately successful club with a long but stale history, kicking and screaming into the 21st century under exceptional personal stress and often unwarranted duress.

The King is Dead, long live the King!
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:33 am

So back to the game.

What are Spurs doing? I can't even remember a time I rooted for them, this was a rare exception. What did they do? let me fucking down thats what they did - along with their supporters.

Now that little Portuguese shit has the opportunity to equal Arsenal's record of 13 FA Cup trophies, it would be bad enough it just being Manchester United but with that little shit at the helm, it's doubly worse.

Now I am going to be forced into another first, rooting for Chelsea because they will certainly be their opponents in the final after dispatching Southampton today.

Sunny you have some explainimg to do - first and foremost, why does Harry Kane turn to shit when faced with tough opponents? - he's the same in an England shirt, goes missing when he's needed most against tough opposition, or rather who he thinks are tough opposition.

I've told you many times on here, Spurs are getting very close now to being branded the same as Arsenal and when that bandwagon of media and fans gets to really start rolling - it's almost impossible to stop it.

It will all unravel if you fall to pieces and lose out on 4th spot to Chelsea, they have a tougher finish on paper but at the end of a season paper means nothing.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 am

VelvetCat wrote:Good luck to Spurs later on.

I'm happy again! To come back from 0 - 2 to draw 2 - 2 and possibly could even have won the match was brilliant. We look a different team under Darren Moore, so many if onlys this season.....

Klopp rather unsporting in the after match press conference, saying the pitch wasn't watered at half time, which is a lie the pitch is always watered and there was also a heavy rain shower, most of our game is played in the air (it isn't) and he feels it was 2 points lost as we will be relegated and can play on a dry pitch next season in the Championship.

Well the pitch would've been watered at Anfield in the cup match and they still couldn't beat us! Such a contrast from last week's comments by Mourinio and the press outcry if he had said this.

And it's just been announced that Wolves are champions, well done to them, I just wish we could have the Black Country Derby in the Premier League next season, still hoping Villa stay down to get 6 points off them next season!

Klopp is just a whinger because he knows deep down his players weren't up for a battle.

I was watching Jake Livermore after and the overwhelming feeling I got was of a man who was embarrassed that he'd taken his club down because he knew he could have done something about it earlier. I suspect that is what the majority of players at West Brom feel too.

When you look at it, they play for a club who have no chance of getting in the top six or having European football, the overriding goal every season is to remain in the Premier league.

They don't particularly care if they end up 8th or 17th so they can put in the effort when they feel like it, afterall they won't go down. Well this time they left it too long and underestimated their rivals and they have very good reason now to be embarrassed and ashamed.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:33 am

According to the Sunday rags Luis Enrique is favourite to take over from Wenger with Patrick Viera's odds being slashed as the outsider option.

Laughed at this one, Brendan Rogers has ruled himself out of the race saying he's staying at Celtic, like he ever had a fucking chance in the first place. :laughing:

Another interesting fact, Wenger wasn't involved in any of the transfer dealings in January and the consenus is that he and the club already knew then he wouldn't be at the club after the summer.

I can't wait until his book comes out everyone will then know just what this bloke did for the club. Something I heard the soccer correspondent for the New York Times say rings absolutely true to my take on how the Arsenal board used Wenger as their scapegoat time and time again.

He said that after 2010 when Arsenal were coming out of their self imposed austerity years after paying off the stadium, Ivan Gazidis and other board members were continually throwing bits to the media saying Arsenal had a warchest of this and this much money available for transfers and lots of upbeat messages to keep the wolves from the door, when in fact they had nothing of the sort.

Wenger was left to take the can for that with accusations of he won't spend the money, they basically threw him to the wolves season after season. He being the gentleman he is and his great love for the club stopped him from saying anything which would harm Arsenal's reputation. I remember Gazidis being interviewed once around then saying "Arsene has the funds to buy any players he wants" fucking liar.

Usmanov summed it up when he said the new stadium could have been financed in two ways, one that the directors put their hands in their pockets and financed it, meaning the football club could remain competitive in both the league and transfer market or they could finance it out of the earnings the club made, meaning years of austerity - well we know which way those greedy, selfish bastards chose to go.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 am

Trapper John wrote:So back to the game.

What are Spurs doing? I can't even remember a time I rooted for them, this was a rare exception. What did they do? let me fucking down thats what they did - along with their supporters.

Now that little Portuguese shit has the opportunity to equal Arsenal's record of 13 FA Cup trophies, it would be bad enough it just being Manchester United but with that little shit at the helm, it's doubly worse.

Now I am going to be forced into another first, rooting for Chelsea because they will certainly be their opponents in the final after dispatching Southampton today.

Sunny you have some explainimg to do - first and foremost, why does Harry Kane turn to shit when faced with tough opponents? - he's the same in an England shirt, goes missing when he's needed most against tough opposition, or rather who he thinks are tough opposition.

I've told you many times on here, Spurs are getting very close now to being branded the same as Arsenal and when that bandwagon of media and fans gets to really start rolling - it's almost impossible to stop it.

It will all unravel if you fall to pieces and lose out on 4th spot to Chelsea, they have a tougher finish on paper but at the end of a season paper means nothing.

Now the dust has settled, I will say that if we had a bit of lady luck on our side things would be different for example...Herrera 5 fouls before being booked and foul number 3 was worthy of a yellow by itself.
Valencia. Already booked and then proceeds to... A) dive in a failed attempt to win a free kick in his own half. B ) when that doesn't work deliberately pulls back our player for what should have been a 2nd yellow.
Finally, a quick shout out to Lukaku for that 2nd goal 'assist'. Perfect miscontrol and ultimately what split the sides.

Now we are at this level, it is decided in the smallest of things, Lukakus shit touch, our shot vs Juve rolling across the line. I don't think it'll be long until some of these start falling in our favour. Surely!!!

As for Harry, he was rushed back too soon from injury.
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm

A comfortable win in the end, despite a dire first half. Some bizarre defensive errors for the opening 2 goals, with West Ham defenders moving out the way of the ball, allowing it to go past a somewhat surprised Joe Hart. Good to see Laca drill a couple late on as well.

Iwobi was shit again, I couldn't believe he was chosen ahead of Auba - hopefully this will be AW's last ever oddball team selection. Iwobi should be the first name on the list when the new manager starts getting rid of the dead wood. I read someone today describe him as 'jittery' - which is a good description.

Looking ahead to Thursday, it looks as if Costa won't be fit enough to start. I feel playing the home leg first gives us an opportunity to have a go at them with the brake off, rather than try and play catch up, if we went to Spain first and lost. It would be a fitting end to AW's career if he could lift the EL trophy on French soil in Lyon.
Red Okktober

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive