Dog's Football Thread Part Seven.

Big Threads

Re: Dog's Football Thread Part Seven.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Red Okktober wrote:A comfortable win in the end, despite a dire first half. Some bizarre defensive errors for the opening 2 goals, with West Ham defenders moving out the way of the ball, allowing it to go past a somewhat surprised Joe Hart. Good to see Laca drill a couple late on as well.

Iwobi was shit again, I couldn't believe he was chosen ahead of Auba - hopefully this will be AW's last ever oddball team selection. Iwobi should be the first name on the list when the new manager starts getting rid of the dead wood. I read someone today describe him as 'jittery' - which is a good description.

Looking ahead to Thursday, it looks as if Costa won't be fit enough to start. I feel playing the home leg first gives us an opportunity to have a go at them with the brake off, rather than try and play catch up, if we went to Spain first and lost. It would be a fitting end to AW's career if he could lift the EL trophy on French soil in Lyon.

The decision not to play Aubameyang was fucking bizarre I have to say, just can't understand it unless he wasn't 100% which can be the only reason. :dunno: It must have been something like that because even Wenger wouldn't have left Iwobi on the pitch for so long otherwise, he's a fucking liability of the highest order.

I'm sure without Wenger's protection he'll be on the first train out in the summer followed quickly by Mustafi whose tally of good games vs bad is far too heavily weighed on the bad side now.

I'm still not convinced by Xhaka though he has played better in more recent games, same with Elneny (glad his injury doesn't appear to affect his world cup, he was devestated when he went off) when you look at it though I don't think we have many who you'd say deserve to stay under a new manager - but you never know, some players rise to that occasion and become better almost overnight. :dunno:

I really hope we can turn Athletico over in both legs and go on to win the trophy, when all said and done Wenger deserves to go out on a high, might have been better earlier but nonetheless keeping us eating at the top table for 22 years in a progressively more difficult league is a worldy of an achievement.

I was hoping Costa would break a leg or something, he's the one I fear the most in that team, we are pretty much an unknown to the rest of their players but that ugly fucker always knows how to yank our chain.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Trapper John wrote:The decision not to play Aubameyang was fucking bizarre I have to say, just can't understand it unless he wasn't 100% which can be the only reason. :dunno: It must have been something like that because even Wenger wouldn't have left Iwobi on the pitch for so long otherwise, he's a fucking liability of the highest order.

I'm sure without Wenger's protection he'll be on the first train out in the summer followed quickly by Mustafi whose tally of good games vs bad is far too heavily weighed on the bad side now.

I'm still not convinced by Xhaka though he has played better in more recent games, same with Elneny (glad his injury doesn't appear to affect his world cup, he was devestated when he went off) when you look at it though I don't think we have many who you'd say deserve to stay under a new manager - but you never know, some players rise to that occasion and become better almost overnight. :dunno:

I really hope we can turn Athletico over in both legs and go on to win the trophy, when all said and done Wenger deserves to go out on a high, might have been better earlier but nonetheless keeping us eating at the top table for 22 years in a progressively more difficult league is a worldy of an achievement.

I was hoping Costa would break a leg or something, he's the one I fear the most in that team, we are pretty much an unknown to the rest of their players but that ugly fucker always knows how to yank our chain.

We're desperate for a world class playmaker - a modern day Liam Brady type - we should break the bank to get one. Then Xhaka can be his understudy and get limited game time, in effect, playing the role that Elneny currently does. As it stands Xhaka is the main man, he needs to drop down a level imo. A useful squad player to have, but nothing more.

Elneny has been in good form and would have been a key player in front of the back 4 on Thursday - shame he's out. I'm not at all impressed yet by Maitland Niles, I hope he doesn't start. The dopey cunt seems half asleep most of the time. I know he's young and deserves a chance to prove himself, but I rather it wasn't in such an important game.

Costa recovering from a hamstring is a massive plus for us. Even if he makes the second leg, it'll probably be his first start for a while, so nowhere near his best. I've got good vibes about this semi final - 6/4 a home win on Thursday seems quite generous odds, so will be having some of that.
Red Okktober

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Trapper John wrote:The decision not to play Aubameyang was fucking bizarre I have to say, just can't understand it unless he wasn't 100% which can be the only reason. :dunno: It must have been something like that because even Wenger wouldn't have left Iwobi on the pitch for so long otherwise, he's a fucking liability of the highest order.

We're desperate for a world class playmaker - a modern day Liam Brady type - we should break the bank to get one. Then Xhaka can be his understudy and get limited game time, in effect, playing the role that Elneny currently does. As it stands Xhaka is the main man, he needs to drop down a level imo. A useful squad player to have, but nothing more.

Elneny has been in good form and would have been a key player in front of the back 4 on Thursday - shame he's out. I'm not at all impressed yet by Maitland Niles, I hope he doesn't start. The dopey cunt seems half asleep most of the time. I know he's young and deserves a chance to prove himself, but I rather it wasn't in such an important game.

Costa recovering from a hamstring is a massive plus for us. Even if he makes the second leg, it'll probably be his first start for a while, so nowhere near his best. I've got good vibes about this semi final - 6/4 a home win on Thursday seems quite generous odds, so will be having some of that.

Yeah it's that laid back, lack of urgency he's got and I have to say so have some of the others.

I tell you what is grinding a bit at me at the moment, Aubameyang being too generous towards other players, he needs to stop lining things up and laying off for others, be selfish and stick the fucking ball in the net.

He just seems to me to be worrying too much about being the nice guy and fitting in, needs a ruthless streak transplant in the summer.

BTW you heard any news about Mhkitaryan, will he be fit for Thursday do you know?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Punk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:59 pm

If Arsenal concede at home they will lose the tie. That's my prediction. Athletico had only lost 2 out of their first 28 but have lost 2 in 5. Season's been a bit flat for them with Barca a country mile in front.

I hope Arsenal win. I hope Brechin win, just one win ill do...
Punk

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:13 pm

TJ - Miki's been training by himself - just fitness stuff and nothing technical - it's 50/50 if he starts or makes the bench. He should play some part though unless he has a setback.

Re Auba - it's a bit of a nothing season for him - joining a club that was well out of the title race, and being cup tied for their only serious challenge for a trophy. Plus the long term manager being on his way out. A new country to adapt to as well. it must be a little surreal to him right now.

I don't think we will see him at his lethal best until next season, under the new manager. Having said that though, he's not doing too bad with his goal record already!
Red Okktober

Postby Trapper John » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:56 am

Red Okktober wrote:TJ - Miki's been training by himself - just fitness stuff and nothing technical - it's 50/50 if he starts or makes the bench. He should play some part though unless he has a setback.

Re Auba - it's a bit of a nothing season for him - joining a club that was well out of the title race, and being cup tied for their only serious challenge for a trophy. Plus the long term manager being on his way out. A new country to adapt to as well. it must be a little surreal to him right now.

I don't think we will see him at his lethal best until next season, under the new manager. Having said that though, he's not doing too bad with his goal record already!

Yeah, Wenger seemed to think Mhkitaryan would be ok for the semi final a while back, I just hadn't heard much since what with everything else going on, lets hope he comes up trumps.

No, I accept it has been a strange time for Aubameyang and I'm sure we'll start to see his best from next season as I reckon we will Lacazette it's tough enough just moving your life to another country but to be dumped into the toughest league in the world on top is gonna phase even the best.

I suppose I just want to see him be a bit more ruthless in front of goal, go for the half chance rather than lay it off, Ramsey started to do that a while ago and it's paid dividends - yeah he's a cunt when he gets selfish and misses, when he don't though it's bloody great.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 am

I watched some of the Man City v Swansea game and I thought it was indicitive of City's entire season - they faced too many sides who had written the game off before a ball was kicked.

I don't doubt City have an excellent squad with great players and a great mentality which I suppose is largely down to Guardiola and at their best they are pretty much unstoppable but few have tried this season to be honest, those that did proved they are just a fallible as the next team.

Their biggest test is about to come, Guardiola has to keep this going, next season and the season after, thats what the really great sides like United, Arsenal and Liverpool did, I don't think Guardiola is there to be honest and next season will not be the cake walk this season was.

Respected football writer for the Mail, Martin Samuel said something yesterday which is absolutely true, we have yet to see any of the so called great foreign managers last at a club for more than three or four seasons at the very best, often it's a lot less.

There is a reason for that, the initial enthusiasm which greets a top manager arrivng at a club does most of the job for him, it's then down to him to keep it going for seasons to come, some do but never for more than a few seasons - Mourinho, Conte, Guardiola whoever you name don't stay around for long because they know they need to constantly have new ears to buy into their management style otherwise it just becomes stale. They can't just ship the entire squad out at the end of a season and bring in a new one, so they engineer a departure before their reputation fails - something Mourinho barely got away with this last time at Chelsea.

He went on to say that this is why Ferguson and Wenger have to be at the top of the greatest managers in the world list, they proved their staying power season after season - warts and all, something you'll never see again from a top manager and I don't think Guardiola will be any different.

Mark my words, the moment Guardiola thinks he might be losing the dressing room and results are not so easy to come by, he'll be engineering his departure and it won't be in 20 years time.

I mean how many times can you tell players "work harder and harder and improve and improve" before it becomes a monotonous drone they don't want to hear anymore?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:53 am

This is just a quick throw away question:

How long do you think Jose Mourinho will live for after his football career is over or he falls out of the sport spotlight?

I ask this because not once but twice now has he turned over the same very powerful Russian, stung him for millions and made him look foolish.

I can't think of many other people I'd be loathe to piss off than someone with those credentials, certainly when you add the long memory and the penchant for revenge associated with Russians.

Something tells me Mr Mourinho will not have a long retirement.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 am

Red Okktober wrote:
Sunny wrote:Hi mate.....am embarrassed to say his but I think I am going to miss Wenger but I have this feeling he might go to another PL team, maybe Everton? And I wonder who will come to Arsenal and take over??? How do you feel about the old boy leaving? It might take a while to settle for another manager. End of an era for you guys, wow, cant imagine how it must feel. I know many wanted him out, but he does deserve a good send off from the gooner fans. Which am sure he will get.
Today is the big one for us spurs, am glad u would prefer us to win, lets hope it happens. :thumbsup:

Hi Sunny - I'd be surprised if AW went to another PL club after his success at Arsenal and his age. It would only be a bottom to middling club that might want him anyway.

if he wants to continue managing - I'd have though a national team would be more of a probability. I don't think he'd get the France job, but managing a middle east team like Qatar or Kuwait might be a possibility. The perfect job for him, and I have no idea about it's availability, would be managing a second tier European team - like the Swiss.

Tough on Spurs tonight - yet another trophyless season, but a top 4 finish. The fans will get restless soon though.

Hello Red , my apologies, I missed this post last time I was here.....I don't think he is done yet but I believe a smaller club will do ok with him. Who knows though he might retire too. Be interesting now who Arsenal will get. As for us, am well pissed off as really was a chance for a trophy and now we have to endure watching Man U or Chelsea win it..... :roll:
Sometimes I give up with football. :bawlin:
And another blow is watching Salah beat our Harry in the golden boot, and Salah got Player of the year I just read. :again?:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Trapper John » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Sunny :Hiya:

You've still got an easier run in than Chelsea, they've still gotta play Liverpool and Newcastle away. The important thing for Spurs now is not to break at last knockings like they have in recent seasons.

At least you haven't got to sit on the edge of your seat for an hour and a half on Thursday feeling your blood pressure go through the roof, filled with doubt and foreboding. :bawlin:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am

Trapper John wrote:Hi Sunny :Hiya:

You've still got an easier run in than Chelsea, they've still gotta play Liverpool and Newcastle away. The important thing for Spurs now is not to break at last knockings like they have in recent seasons.

At least you haven't got to sit on the edge of your seat for an hour and a half on Thursday feeling your blood pressure go through the roof, filled with doubt and foreboding. :bawlin:

Hiya TJ, I tell you what, if we cock it up and let Chelsea go head of us, I will give up and try and not follow footy for a year. yeah right. like I wont be curious. :pmsl: But seriously no excuse now, we need to win our last matches and head to the new stadium being in CL.
As for you guys, don't worry u will win at home, but hopefully you wont let them score and get the away goal.......you can do it, have every faith and now Wenger leaving they will do their best to please Wenger so he can leave on a high. :thumbsup:
How funny if we all get CL except for Chelsea.... :awesome: Hate those rent boys! :Lucia:
Sunny

Postby Gabby » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:59 am

How long before this football malarkey finishes?... it’s getting right on my double yolks now :grrrrr: ....... every bloody family gathering it dominates the occasion! :roll:

Gabby

Postby Sunny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Gabby wrote:How long before this football malarkey finishes?... it’s getting right on my double yolks now :grrrrr: ....... every bloody family gathering it dominates the occasion! :roll:

Hello Gabby! :Hiya:

Not long to go :pmsl: hang in there this time next month it will be over.... :bawlin: Then we have to wait for the world cup. I have Australia to support. :gigglesnshit: Ok, England too only coz my boys from spurs will be playing. :laughing:
Sunny

Postby Gabby » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Sunny wrote:
Gabby wrote:How long before this football malarkey finishes?... it’s getting right on my double yolks now :grrrrr: ....... every bloody family gathering it dominates the occasion! :roll:

Not long to go :pmsl: hang in there this time next month it will be over.... :bawlin: Then we have to wait for the world cup. I have Australia to support. :gigglesnshit: Ok, England too only coz my boys from spurs will be playing. :laughing:

So hardly any football free time then!! :thud:
Gabby

Postby Sunny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Gabby wrote:
Sunny wrote:

So hardly any football free time then!! :thud:

If you cant beat them, join them!! :pmsl: :doomed:
:header: :header: :header: You would make a lovely spurs supporter!!!! :razz:
Sunny

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive