Mental health.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Mental health.

Postby Bella » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Markey mark wrote:

Sorry My fault not you son one of his friends , I can remember the tread like it was yesterday one of your sons friends toke his own life ,

I think that one of Claire's son's friend was murdered. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

I think it was my sons friend sister, it was all over net.
Beautiful Girl , very talented.
Bella

Postby Nucks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:12 am

Losing a child is utterly devastating, but they will also feel the sting that comes with the stigma of suicide. Reach out to them if you are able and be kind. Listen to them talk about him as they will soon find that very few of their ‘friends’ are willing to do this. Understand that it will be painful to see their son’s friends reach milestones that their own son never will. Graduation, falling in love (if they hadn’t yet), marriage, buying a first home, children, etc. There aren’t words that even touch the sides of their grief, but ‘I’m sorry for your loss’ is a good start. Don’t ever tell them you understand if you haven’t lost a child, because you don’t. Talk about their child with them if you knew them and feel okay doing it, they will like that he is remembered. Sometimes well-intentioned friends or family wrongly assume it will be painful to bring up his name. It isn’t. What’s painful is thinking people have forgotten your child or feel ashamed that he took his life.

Much love to you and your son, Bella. My condolences to the young man’s family and friends. ❤️❤️
Nucks

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 am

Nucks wrote:Losing a child is utterly devastating, but they will also feel the sting that comes with the stigma of suicide. Reach out to them if you are able and be kind. Listen to them talk about him as they will soon find that very few of their ‘friends’ are willing to do this. Understand that it will be painful to see their son’s friends reach milestones that their own son never will. Graduation, falling in love (if they hadn’t yet), marriage, buying a first home, children, etc. There aren’t words that even touch the sides of their grief, but ‘I’m sorry for your loss’ is a good start. Don’t ever tell them you understand if you haven’t lost a child, because you don’t. Talk about their child with them if you knew them and feel okay doing it, they will like that he is remembered. Sometimes well-intentioned friends or family wrongly assume it will be painful to bring up his name. It isn’t. What’s painful is thinking people have forgotten your child or feel ashamed that he took his life.

Much love to you and your son, Bella. My condolences to the young man’s family and friends. ❤️❤️

Is this the voice of experience? If it is I am sorry for your loss also.

Postby Nucks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 am

Guest wrote:
Nucks wrote:Losing a child is utterly devastating, but they will also feel the sting that comes with the stigma of suicide. Reach out to them if you are able and be kind. Listen to them talk about him as they will soon find that very few of their ‘friends’ are willing to do this. Understand that it will be painful to see their son’s friends reach milestones that their own son never will. Graduation, falling in love (if they hadn’t yet), marriage, buying a first home, children, etc. There aren’t words that even touch the sides of their grief, but ‘I’m sorry for your loss’ is a good start. Don’t ever tell them you understand if you haven’t lost a child, because you don’t. Talk about their child with them if you knew them and feel okay doing it, they will like that he is remembered. Sometimes well-intentioned friends or family wrongly assume it will be painful to bring up his name. It isn’t. What’s painful is thinking people have forgotten your child or feel ashamed that he took his life.

Is this the voice of experience? If it is I am sorry for your loss also.

Thank you. x
Nucks

Postby Vam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am

Just perfectly put, Nucks - very moving post.
A bit like what I suggested earlier, but you've expressed it so much better than I ever could x
Vam

Postby Keyser » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:19 pm

That is a very beautiful, eloquent and heartbreaking post. (((XXX)))
Keyser

Postby Bella » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. The lad has been in touch with his late friends bro,he sent such an eloquent note about all they shared, their love of travel and music. Proud of my lad could write with so much feelings and maturity in just the right way despite being dyslexic. The Lad replied that my son had lit up his brothers life with his knowledge of music etc. It seems obvious now that he had some mental health issues but was older than my son and his peers and they had not known him from school days etc. Too sad! Well we've had tears tonight but I think good to show your emotions especially for young men.

Much love and strength to you to xx
Bella

Postby Nucks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:23 am

That men find it difficult to express feelings is so ingrained in our culture and it’s unfortunate. It definitely plays a part in why they don’t reach out for help when they feel sad, alone, desperate, suicidal. It’s good that we have seen a push for awareness about this in the media in recent times, but I feel our health care system hasn’t quite caught up. Underfunded services and lack of compassion among some health care professionals means that even if men muster up the courage to speak up, the response they get may leave much to be desired.
Nucks

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms