Pregnant When Applying For Employment.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Pregnant When Applying For Employment.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:It should be up to the woman concerned if she wants to disclose she is pregnant. She shouldn't be compelled to do so however.

In any event I don't think employers have that much to worry about in this regard. While a vanishingly small number of women may try and game the system and take blatant advantage of maternity rights I doubt it happens that often. In addition, finding good quality staff and hiring in general can be an expensive and difficult process so I suspect if a woman is the right candidate then a decent firm will work with her to accommodate her pregnancy. It's this kind of co-operation which helps bind loyalty to an employer and is to their advantage.

A bit of a narrow view if I might say and also a bit dated too.

You may not say so. I would refer you to the forum rules where it says disagreeing with me is forbidden.

Narrow / dated in the terms of my points may be applicable to only certain firms / sectors and a number of women do game the system something else?

Excuse me for not highlighting the bits I'm referring to. Your view assumes that these women are in or applying for jobs in skilled or highly skilled areas, whereas the majority of people this would affect are just expendable cannon fodder.

Loyalty from employees only stretches so far, usually up until an employer wants to get rid of them.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:It should be up to the woman concerned if she wants to disclose she is pregnant. She shouldn't be compelled to do so however.

In any event I don't think employers have that much to worry about in this regard. While a vanishingly small number of women may try and game the system and take blatant advantage of maternity rights I doubt it happens that often. In addition, finding good quality staff and hiring in general can be an expensive and difficult process so I suspect if a woman is the right candidate then a decent firm will work with her to accommodate her pregnancy. It's this kind of co-operation which helps bind loyalty to an employer and is to their advantage.

You may not say so. I would refer you to the forum rules where it says disagreeing with me is forbidden.

Narrow / dated in the terms of my points may be applicable to only certain firms / sectors and a number of women do game the system something else?

Excuse me for not highlighting the bits I'm referring to. Your view assumes that these women are in or applying for jobs in skilled or highly skilled areas, whereas the majority of people this would affect are just expendable cannon fodder.

Loyalty from employees only stretches so far, usually up until an employer wants to get rid of them.

Fair point.

There's certainly an argument to be made that maternity leave is primarily a middle class concern promoted by middle class people for their own benefit.

Also, it unnerves me when you are being polite...
Avon Barksdale

Postby Trapper John » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Fair point.

There's certainly an argument to be made that maternity leave is primarily a middle class concern promoted by middle class people for their own benefit.

Also, it unnerves me when you are being polite...

I'm always very polite, right up until I'm not.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm

As trapper states this is more of a Middle Class employment situation.

For lower class workers the employers always have " Zero Hours" contracts to fall back on regarding Pregnancy
Snookerballs

Postby Major » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Forumuz come out with all sorts of guff but the quqestion remains and refers back to the OP.

Would you as a 6 person business wanna waste ya OWN money??????????
Major
Twat.

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Major wrote:Forumuz come out with all sorts of guff but the quqestion remains and refers back to the OP.

Depends on the business and the candidates.

Let's say you own a small accountancy firm and you have two candidates for the role: a pregnant woman and a man.

The pregnant woman went to a Russell Group uni, trained at one of the big four firm and has a following. She wants to join your company because she wants a better work / life balance. She can work remotely if needs be and it is clear she can potentially bring in a lot of business in the future.

The man has less stellar academics, worked in an ordinary firm and has no following.

In that situation I would choose the pregnant woman.

Also, there's a broader point. It is often said that families are one of the principles institutions for the success of a country or a society. Shouldn't we, as a matter of public good, support them which includes maternity / paternity leave?
Avon Barksdale

Postby Rockstar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Major wrote:Forumuz come out with all sorts of guff but the quqestion remains and refers back to the OP.

Let's say you own a small accountancy firm and you have two candidates for the role: a pregnant woman and a man.

The pregnant woman went to a Russell Group uni, trained at one of the big four firm and has a following. She wants to join your company because she wants a better work / life balance. She can work remotely if needs be and it is clear she can potentially bring in a lot of business in the future.

The man has less stellar academics, worked in an ordinary firm and has no following.

Also, there's a broader point. It is often said that families are one of the principles institutions for the success of a country or a society. Shouldn't we, as a matter of public good, support them which includes maternity / paternity leave?

Your skewed scenario doesn't add up to the opinion you are asserting...

All things balanced...it is lesser headache and more profit to hire a non pregnant person over a pregnant one.
Rockstar

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Rockstar wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

Your skewed scenario doesn't add up to the opinion you are asserting...

All things balanced...it is lesser headache and more profit to hire a non pregnant person over a pregnant one.

Yes, presuming all things are equal.

However, in the event that the pregnant candidate can bring more to the business over the medium to long term than the non-pregnant one then it is worth the short term inconvenience.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Check your facts before demanding that Forum Members should always agree that your posts are right.

An employer claims back Maternity Leave and in certain circumstances it can be enhanced to a higher rate from the Government,
So it is nothing to do with the Firms Money.
Snookerballs

Postby Rockstar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

However, in the event that the pregnant candidate can bring more to the business over the medium to long term than the non-pregnant one then it is worth the short term inconvenience.

That's true for every indispensable employee in the eyes of the employer...
Rockstar

Postby Trapper John » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:40 pm

If women didn't work and did what they are supposed to do, ie stay at home and look after the house and kids and ensure you have clean clothes and a dinner on the table for when you get home, we wouldn't have to be discussing this problem. :roll:

Bloody women, you let them out the house to work and this is what happens, we all knew they would never be satisfied and have to keep pushing and pushing. :shake head:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Rockstar wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

That's true for every indispensable employee in the eyes of the employer...

Undoubtedly and value to the business can depend on a number of variables which outweighs absence from it for a length of time.

With the rise of remote working in some sectors being physically present in the office isn't as important as it used to be.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Emmeline Pankhurst has a lot to answer to !
Snookerballs

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Trapper John wrote:If women didn't work and did what they are supposed to do, ie stay at home and look after the house and kids and ensure you have clean clothes and a dinner on the table for when you get home, we wouldn't have to be discussing this problem. :roll:

Bloody women, you let them out the house to work and this is what happens, we all knew they would never be satisfied and have to keep pushing and pushing. :shake head:

Does equality of opportunity in the workplace between the sexes intimidate you?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Snookerballs wrote:Emmeline Pankhurst has a lot to answer to !

Yeah, we end up doing everybloodything! :grrrrr:
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms