Why does Feminism get a bad press?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Why does Feminism get a bad press?

Postby jra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:34 am

Deleted as I cba. More important things to deal with.
Last edited by jra on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jra

Postby jra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:37 am

Dean wrote:I’ve walked around Muslim areas hundreds of times with not much on and I’ve never been raped... :ooer:

Yeah. Because this is about you as a man. Unbelievable, like your personality.
jra

Postby Nucks » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 am

Found this article and it says what I would say if I had such a way with words.

The view that clothes emit an irresistible siren call to would-be predators is nothing new. Yet no matter how many times and in how many different guises the argument is offered, it never ceases to be anything other than unintelligent nonsense. More worryingly, the frequency with which its invoked only reveals our own culpability in perpetuating a rape culture that blames the victims and seeks at every angle to find excuses for perpetrators who couldn't be reasonably expected to help themselves.

You've probably heard any or all of the following variants of the argument:

I'm not saying it's right, but women need to start taking some responsibility for their own actions

You wouldn't leave the keys in your car for everyone to see, would you?

Look, it's all about precautions. The sad fact is, there are bad people out there who'll take advantage of women, so it's up to them to look after themselves. Don't get too drunk, don't wear revealing clothing and don't flirt with strange men. I'm not saying they're entirely to blame, but it's pretty obvious stuff.

These kinds of arguments have two things in common. Firstly, they're completely stupid. Rape is possibly the only criminal act in which the victims are expected to take partial responsibility for the choices of the perpetrator. Victims of muggings aren't asked why they were flaunting their wealth in 'bad neighbourhoods'. Banks aren't expected to hide the fact they have vaults of money because some people might be tempted to rob them. Statistically speaking, you face a greater than zero per cent chance of being killed by a drunk driver at any time on the road, yet victims of motor accidents aren't expected to shoulder partial blame for deciding to get in their cars. And speaking of cars, you know what they aren't? A flipping vagina. When women leave the house in anything less than burqa, they are not recklessly driving their vaginas around, asking people to steal them. The only relevancy a set of keys could possibly have is to lock the chastity belt some people think women should wear in order to prevent their vaginas being joyridden around town. Also, women in burqas get raped too.

But second, these arguments posit rape as some kind of murky act in which extenuating circumstances need to be taken into account in order to exonerate the perpetrator. At their heart, they betray an unconscious belief that men cannot be held responsible for the ways in which women tempt them - nor should they be forced to. Rape apologists usually tend to view feminism as something that demonises all men as villains, so it seems curious to me that they would perpetuate the view that men are animals whose restraint goes out the window at the merest glimpse of cleavage. Of course, rape apologists also subscribe to the idea that there are two kinds of rape - Real Rape (or legitimate rape, as Todd Akin so mind-crunchingly called it) and Rape Where Women Asked For It By Dressing Or Acting Like Sluts And Then Complained. There is no greater misogynist than a rape apologist, because they value a man's right to take what he believes is being promised to him over a woman's right to say no. Perhaps more tellingly, they hold deeply the view that the world and all its choices belong to them, while women are obliged to merely figure out how they want those choices to affect them.

http://m.dailylife.com.au/news-and-view ... 24w49.html
Nucks

Postby jra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:24 am

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but do it without making it personal, like casting aspersions on my character, calling me a troll and such like. If one can't do that, piss off. I'm not in the mood for it right now.
jra

Postby jra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 am

I've just been through this thread and the first person to mention rape was Nasty. I was talking about unwanted attention, not rape. I'd never justify any rape. All I've said is it may be prudent to minimize the chances of it happening, e.g. one example being what you wear, when and where. Even, if you think that is incorrect, I wouldn't take the risk personally. I resent being told I'm a troll, can't control myself around women and all that.
jra

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 am

jra wrote:I've just been through this thread and the first person to mention rape was Nasty. I was talking about unwanted attention, not rape. I'd never justify any rape. All I've said is it may be prudent to minimize the chances of it happening, e.g. one example being what you wear, when and where. Even, if you think that is incorrect, I wouldn't take the risk personally. I resent being told I'm a troll, can't control myself around women and all that.

But you didn't write just write that, you also wrote

in some circumstances you may be responsible for what happens

Can't you see there's a difference from looking after yourself and being partly responsible for being raped?

The criminal is 100% responsible for deciding to commit a crime.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 am

jra wrote:I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but do it without making it personal, like casting aspersions on my character, calling me a troll and such like. If one can't do that, piss off. I'm not in the mood for it right now.

TROLL

Postby jra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am

Guest wrote:
jra wrote:I've just been through this thread and the first person to mention rape was Nasty. I was talking about unwanted attention, not rape. I'd never justify any rape. All I've said is it may be prudent to minimize the chances of it happening, e.g. one example being what you wear, when and where. Even, if you think that is incorrect, I wouldn't take the risk personally. I resent being told I'm a troll, can't control myself around women and all that.

But you didn't write just write that, you also wrote

in some circumstances you may be responsible for what happens

Can't you see there's a difference from looking after yourself and being partly responsible for being raped?

The criminal is 100% responsible for deciding to commit a crime.

Yes there are, so take preventative measures to minimize the chances of it happening.

Other than I wasn't talking about rape in the first place. See my post.
jra

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:52 am

Sooo you admitting you’re a troll was what...? You trolling about trolling?
NastyNickers

Postby Dean » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 am

Admitting you were soundly beaten in a debate is the better option. This back tracking nonsense makes you look even more of a turkey than you usually do...
Dean

Postby jra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 am

NastyNickers wrote:

Was what what. Big yawn. Why can't we agree to disagree on this one without it becoming the Spanish Inquisition on your part. Walk away, let it rest. I would. This is getting tediously boring having to justify every little thing I post. We don't agree. Leave it, walk away.
jra

Postby Dean » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 am

jra wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

Was what what. Big yawn. Why can't we agree to disagree on this one without it becoming the Spanish Inquisition on your part. Walk away, let it rest. I would. This is getting tediously boring having to justify every little thing I post. We don't agree. Leave it, walk away.

You have to admit you were wrong and that you were bested by NN. That’s how this forum works. Nothing else will do...
Dean

Postby jra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:05 am

Dean wrote:

Admitting you were soundly beaten in a debate is the better option. This back tracking nonsense makes you look even more of a turkey than you usually do...

Dean seriously. Beaten is not the same as disagreeing. And who are you to lecture anyone on anything regarding what you've posted to various people in the last few days especially. Teflon guy. Most admins would have banned your arse a long time ago.
jra

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 am

jra wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

:pmsl:
Would you? Would you really?
:ooer:
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 am

NastyNickers wrote:
jra wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

:pmsl:
Would you? Would you really?
:ooer:

i'm sitting here shaking my head. :laughing:

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms