Hereditary Cancer - is it inevitable?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Hereditary Cancer - is it inevitable?

Postby Dean » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:All my family have been amazingly healthy apart from my mum who died of cancer.
I have benign tumours on my spinal cord which are neurofibromas and schwannomas.
They aren't going to kill me.
I was reading recently might have been New Scientist that we are having to take a fresh look at genes because they are not that controlling after all.
So called junk genes aren't and there seems to be other stuff going on at genetic levels that we don't have a clue about.
Environment is looking like a bigger shaper of ourselves then genes maybe apart from the obvious hair colour nose shape tall short etc.
I have a six foot four sone and a five foot four son .... where did that come from?
I'll try and remember where and what I was reading.

am i right in thinking you're very tall yourself, rollup?

I am but then I have a few short kids that come without explanation.

How tall is the milkman?
Dean

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Dean wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:All my family have been amazingly healthy apart from my mum who died of cancer.
I have benign tumours on my spinal cord which are neurofibromas and schwannomas.
I was reading recently might have been New Scientist that we are having to take a fresh look at genes because they are not that controlling after all.
So called junk genes aren't and there seems to be other stuff going on at genetic levels that we don't have a clue about.
Environment is looking like a bigger shaper of ourselves then genes maybe apart from the obvious hair colour nose shape tall short etc.
I have a six foot four sone and a five foot four son .... where did that come from?

How tall is the milkman?

He was a right short arse, word on the low was that he DID have a table

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Dean wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:

How tall is the milkman?

3ft 11inches
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby dis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 pm

I hope not. My mum had cancer quite young, so did my Granny (her mum) mum's oncologist advised my sister and I get checked but the doctors didn't seem to think it was an issue until recently and I have been referred for a scan.
dis

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm

dis wrote:I hope not. My mum had cancer quite young, so did my Granny (her mum) mum's oncologist advised my sister and I get checked but the doctors didn't seem to think it was an issue until recently and I have been referred for a scan.

I hope all turns out right for you. :thumbsup:

One thing I learned from helping my daughter with her mum, always second check any opinion or diagnosis you get, we didn't and it cost her life.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby dis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Trapper John wrote:
dis wrote:I hope not. My mum had cancer quite young, so did my Granny (her mum) mum's oncologist advised my sister and I get checked but the doctors didn't seem to think it was an issue until recently and I have been referred for a scan.

One thing I learned from helping my daughter with her mum, always second check any opinion or diagnosis you get, we didn't and it cost her life.

Cheers :smilin:

That's sad TJ, you be able to trust what health professionals say but I do agree about a second opinion, I wish we had got one for my Dad.

I am monitored quite closely for another health condition, that and the side effects of the medication I am on cause a lot of symtoms so hopefully it's just that.
dis

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Trapper John wrote:

Yes I second this.
Push fir what you think is right.
It was negligence at the local A&E that killed my brother.
NastyNickers

Postby megaera » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:59 pm

FWIW I think your susceptibility to cancer is hereditary, but lifestyle choices can help increase or decrease the likelihood of it occurring.
megaera

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Dean wrote:My grandad had cancer, my Dad had cancer. I’m just waiting for the inevitable. I don’t suppose 20 fags a day helps either...

What made you start smoking again? :kinell:

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Smoking kills your taste buds and makes you impotent but it’s so relaxing!
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Smoking kills your taste buds and makes you impotent but it’s so relaxing!

It won't make you impotent lm so don't worry about that

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Guest wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Smoking kills your taste buds and makes you impotent but it’s so relaxing!

It won't make you impotent lm so don't worry about that

:gigglesnshit:

Kills the taste buds though! :grrrrr:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Punk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 pm

No. :smilin:
Punk

Postby Foxy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Interesting thread. My great grandma died from stomach cancer. I didn't know her but I understand there was little they could do then. She had a large part of her stomach taken away but never recovered. My grandma lived to a ripe old age, my mum died fairly young and so far no other history of cancer in the family.

Actually, my mum had early onset dementia which frightens me as much, if not more, than cancer. My dad died from a heart attack.
Foxy

Postby Cleopatra » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 pm

I believe the hereditary element, or predisposition to it, is there. But, my dad died from lung cancer many years ago, and the doctors were quite adamant it was "smoking-related" lung cancer. How do they know he wouldn't have contracted it anyway? They don't. But the smoking must have triggered it. Why play Russian roulette with your health. You take your health for granted when your'e a spring chicken and feel invincible, but I'd rather not tempt fate, or trigger off any predisposition.
Cleopatra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms