Hereditary Cancer - is it inevitable?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Hereditary Cancer - is it inevitable?

Postby malamute » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm

I have had genetic counselling for bowel cancer and am at medium-high risk as my Mum has had BC twice and several of her siblings had it.

My OH carries the BRCA gene for cancer. His Mum died of breast cancer, his sister had both breasts removed in her 40s and his niece had breast cancer at just 30 and had her breasts removed too. He was tested and it revealed he carried the gene so could get breast cancer himself or another cancer. He gets tested regularly. My daughter is clear of the gene and son doesnt want to be tested.

My Father in law died of cancer as did my Dad. I have had several operations for skin cancer with another on the horizon. So both our families are full of it but I dont worry about it. Worrying doesnt do you any good.
malamute

Postby malamute » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Odessa Steps wrote:Both my parents died of bowel cancer... I don;t fancy my odds.

Odessa - you can ask your GP to refer you for genetic counselling. I did that.
malamute

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:17 pm

malamute wrote:I have had genetic counselling for bowel cancer and am at medium-high risk as my Mum has had BC twice and several of her siblings had it.

My OH carries the BRCA gene for cancer. His Mum died of breast cancer, his sister had both breasts removed in her 40s and his niece had breast cancer at just 30 and had her breasts removed too. He was tested and it revealed he carried the gene so could get breast cancer himself or another cancer. He gets tested regularly. My daughter is clear of the gene and son doesnt want to be tested.

My Father in law died of cancer as did my Dad. I have had several operations for skin cancer with another on the horizon. So both our families are full of it but I dont worry about it. Worrying doesnt do you any good.

It is a shame that Brexidiots voted for a policy that will cause massive suffering for the very ill and disabled. :thud:

Postby malamute » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Guest wrote:
malamute wrote:I have had genetic counselling for bowel cancer and am at medium-high risk as my Mum has had BC twice and several of her siblings had it.

It is a shame that Brexidiots voted for a policy that will cause massive suffering for the very ill and disabled. :thud:

What the fuck are you on about Baghead? You just cant resist can you? Even when you make no sense whatsoever. :hand:
malamute

Postby Keyser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Epigenetics plays a very significant role in cancer as well.
Keyser

Postby Snookerballs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:11 am

The Cancer Death Rate for New York people/Rescuers caught up in 9/11 is running into many thousands
Snookerballs

Postby Nucks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:40 am

Snookerballs wrote:The Cancer Death Rate for New York people/Rescuers caught up in 9/11 is running into many thousands

I can only imagine the amount of toxic shit floating around in the air on that day and for quite some time after.
Nucks

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Nucks wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:The Cancer Death Rate for New York people/Rescuers caught up in 9/11 is running into many thousands

I can only imagine the amount of toxic shit floating around in the air on that day and for quite some time after.

Asbestos?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Text » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Holly wrote:Yeah, I'm not so sure about whether a specific 'type' of cancer is more likely or whether it's just the fact that genes are just more susceptible, though I suppose similar types would be be more likely, especially in close relatives like siblings or parents.

BIB: I think that sums it all up neatly. :thumbsup: That is precisely how I work it out in my own mind >

Cancer strikes when the chromosomes go rogue and mutate, ergo they no longer follow the original blueprint patent.

So 'strong' genes which can keep their integrity and never mutate, are cancer resistant.

Whereas 'fragile' genes are more susceptible to noxious agents in the environment

So the genes you inherit (& your lifestyle) decide your fate, but the disease won't necessarily affect the same organs as your affected relatives.

Regular medical checkups are the answer. No one has anything to fear if they get checked regularly.
Text

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms