Hereditary Cancer - is it inevitable?

A right load of bollocks...

Hereditary Cancer - is it inevitable?

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:05 am

I'm still unsure whether the medical profession see this as a major or indeed 'the major' factor in people getting cancer, as they tend to concentrate - at least publically - on lifestyle choices as the main culprit and also the main defence against cancer.

I've wondered for a very long time if cancer was almost exclusively an inherited disease, where maybe our lifestyle could have an affect but in the main we inherit genes which have given our cells the propensity to mutate and become cancerous.

We all know that in simple terms, cancer is so tough to beat because it isn't a 'foreign invader' - cancer is the end result of our own cells mutating into another form but still being part of our makeup, therefore our own body's defences do not see it as something that needs eradicating.

From personal experience I side heavily on the 'inherited factor' - I saw my then mother in-law contract throat cancer, she was treated early and had it removed surgically, giving her a further 16 years of life. I then saw my ex wife (her daughter) contract the very same cancer which wasn't treated as quickly as it should have been and she died.

In my family we have no history of cancer thank god, my father's eldest brother died of it but he had a different mother to my dad. My dad died of natural causes two years ago at the age of 92 years, despite being a smoker for probably 50 of them, my mother is still with us aged 89 years, she's never smoked in her life.

There will be some instances which will disprove the rule but I really do think that hereditary genes is the number one factor in whether you get or stay free of cancer, other factors may play a smaller part but in general, it's something you inherit for better or worse.

I can understand the medical profession not wanting to advertise this fact more openly, many people would think they'd been given a death sentence if there is a history of the disease, whether they currently have it or not. Having said that I believe they should have the knowledge because they can be more vigilant against even subtle changes to their well being and therefore get help which might save their lives, much the sooner.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Hereditary Cancer - is it inevitable?

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 am

I lean towards some being inherited, too.
My brother, cousin and Grandad were all diagnosed with same same lymphoma (in the space of 2 years). My brother died, my grandad is terminal but on maintenance, and my cousin is in remission.
Can’t help but feel that that is too coincidental.

On the other side of the family we have the dodgy boob/ovary gene they already know about.
NastyNickers

Postby Dean » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am

My grandad had cancer, my Dad had cancer. I’m just waiting for the inevitable. I don’t suppose 20 fags a day helps either...
Dean

Postby Vam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:21 am

My maternal grandma, my mamma and her older sister all died from the same strain of cancer.

I get myself checked out fairly regularly. So far, so good. But there's always that niggling little concern there, floating about in my subconscious...
Vam

Postby Holly » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 am

My Grandma and Grandpa died of cancer, so did my Mum and her Sister ( both very young ) :ooer: ...all of them had different cancers though.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

Vam wrote:My maternal grandma, my mamma and her older sister all died from the same strain of cancer.

I get myself checked out fairly regularly. So far, so good. But there's always that niggling little concern there, floating about in my subconscious...

keep up the checks, an early diagnosis can help make sure people recover after treatment, if it's the right 'type' of cancer.

Postby Vam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 am

Guest wrote:
Vam wrote:My maternal grandma, my mamma and her older sister all died from the same strain of cancer.

keep up the checks, an early diagnosis can help make sure people recover after treatment, if it's the right 'type' of cancer.

:thumbsup: I do. Thanks :wink:
Vam

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:53 am

Holly wrote:My Grandma and Grandpa died of cancer, so did my Mum and her Sister ( both very young ) :ooer: ...all of them had different cancers though.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about whether a specific 'type' of cancer is more likely or whether it's just the fact that genes are just more susceptible, though I suppose similar types would be be more likely, especially in close relatives like siblings or parents.

Were they your 'maternal' grandparents Holly?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:01 am

Heredity is not destiny as the saying goes.

While we are governed by our genes and history we are not slaves to them either. Well, at least that's what I'm hoping as there is a history of CV disease, cancer (on the maternal side) and diabetes in my family.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Holly » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am

Trapper John wrote:
Holly wrote:My Grandma and Grandpa died of cancer, so did my Mum and her Sister ( both very young ) :ooer: ...all of them had different cancers though.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about whether a specific 'type' of cancer is more likely or whether it's just the fact that genes are just more susceptible, though I suppose similar types would be be more likely, especially in close relatives like siblings or parents.

Were they your 'maternal' grandparents Holly?

Yes TJ, my Mums parents.

Mind you, I don't think there's any family around in the western world that doesn't have cancer in the family. Some cancers are definitely hereditary but I believe most are caused by environmental factors and lifestyle.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Odessa Steps » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:04 am

Both my parents died of bowel cancer... I don;t fancy my odds.
Odessa Steps

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:19 am

Odessa Steps wrote:Both my parents died of bowel cancer... I don;t fancy my odds.

I've read that the most dangerous period for getting that is five years either side of when your parents had it. That was long ago so haven't checked that theory recently. My father died quickly of that terrible type aged 55 and both me and my brother are still free. Do you do the government's home test for it? Comes by post every other year.

Postby Mickyboy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:21 am

I wouldn't normally talk about my family but on this occasion it's relevant.......

Cancer killed my dad, my eldest brother and my other 4 siblings have all had it but survived up to now, but for some reason I've dodged the bullet.

I had multiple blood tests last year and I'm completely disease free fortunately but for how much longer I wonder.......the only ailments I do have are heartburn and vertigo but they are managed so I consider myself very lucky.......
Mickyboy

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 am

I remember watching a programme not so long ago which was nothing to do with cancer but it made a very good point which ties it to our genes and cells.

It said that 'mutation' is the driving force behind evolution, without our cells mutating we would still be amorphous blobs of jelly sitting in a shallow rock pool somewhere.

As it takes millions of years to even progress upto the next small rung on the ladder of evolution, there are failures beyond number inbetween and that is maybe what cancer is - 'failures of evolution' - small changes to our cells which are meant to add to our success as a species but as we know, often failed to deliver - until one arose that was a worthy improvement and didn't ultimately kill us.

I suppose what I'm saying is that cancer is a natural part of organic existence, in our case a natural part of human life without which we will not progress as a species.

Of course thats not to say we can't or shouldn't try to save the 'failures' (cancer sufferers) - because part of what those mutations driving evolution have done for us is given us as a species the ability to be able to do just that.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 am

Odessa Steps wrote:Both my parents died of bowel cancer... I don;t fancy my odds.

At least you know or should do, where to concentrate your attention and vigilance and that could be a big game changer - I'm not sure but I still think the NHS run a bowel cancer screening service for people over a certain age, maybe 60 :dunno: - but I would have thought with a history like that, your doctor would have down for regular screening.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms