Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

A right load of bollocks...

Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Of course tomorrow, Friday, will be the 13th day of the month and although I know a lot of people who just poo-poo it as superstitious rubbish aren't always adverse to taking out the odd 'insurance policy' so to speak on what they do that day.

I know some who say it's rubbish but have put off doing things or leaving not so urgent matters for a more auspicious date just so as 'not to tempt fate'. :laughing:

It's something ingrained into the Christian society most of us were brought up in. I'm sure other countries and cultures have other 'unlucky' days but for us, whether religious or not, it still holds that sneaking air of belief of bad luck coming about, however dubious you are.

I'm not sure of it's origin, the common belief is that it originated from the day and date when most of the members and hierarchy of the outwardly Christian religious order, Knights Templar, were simultaneously arrested across France where they were majorly based and tortured to confess their heresy, on Friday 13th October 1307 on behalf of the Church of Rome. The order was effectively destroyed and it's wealth stolen by King Philip of France, the main protagonist amongst others.

Like many things in Christian religion, I suspect it's a belief that goes back much farther, the reason now lost in time.

So do you still harbour even a glimmer of unsurety about the day or are you completely happy it's superstitious rubbish which doesn't affect your day whatsoever?
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35950
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Trapper John wrote:Of course tomorrow, Friday, will be the 13th day of the month and although I know a lot of people who just poo-poo it as superstitious rubbish aren't always adverse to taking out the odd 'insurance policy' so to speak on what they do that day.

I know some who say it's rubbish but have put off doing things or leaving not so urgent matters for a more auspicious date just so as 'not to tempt fate'. :laughing:

It's something ingrained into the Christian society most of us were brought up in. I'm sure other countries and cultures have other 'unlucky' days but for us, whether religious or not, it still holds that sneaking air of belief of bad luck coming about, however dubious you are.

I'm not sure of it's origin, the common belief is that it originated from the day and date when most of the members and hierarchy of the outwardly Christian religious order, Knights Templar, were simultaneously arrested across France where they were majorly based and tortured to confess their heresy, on Friday 13th October 1307 on behalf of the Church of Rome. The order was effectively destroyed and it's wealth stolen by King Philip of France, the main protagonist amongst others.

Like many things in Christian religion, I suspect it's a belief that goes back much farther, the reason now lost in time.

So do you still harbour even a glimmer of unsurety about the day or are you completely happy it's superstitious rubbish which doesn't affect your day whatsoever?


that's interesting, i always thought it was something to do with jesus, the 13 apostles and his arrest.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Guest wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Of course tomorrow, Friday, will be the 13th day of the month and although I know a lot of people who just poo-poo it as superstitious rubbish aren't always adverse to taking out the odd 'insurance policy' so to speak on what they do that day.

I know some who say it's rubbish but have put off doing things or leaving not so urgent matters for a more auspicious date just so as 'not to tempt fate'. :laughing:

It's something ingrained into the Christian society most of us were brought up in. I'm sure other countries and cultures have other 'unlucky' days but for us, whether religious or not, it still holds that sneaking air of belief of bad luck coming about, however dubious you are.

I'm not sure of it's origin, the common belief is that it originated from the day and date when most of the members and hierarchy of the outwardly Christian religious order, Knights Templar, were simultaneously arrested across France where they were majorly based and tortured to confess their heresy, on Friday 13th October 1307 on behalf of the Church of Rome. The order was effectively destroyed and it's wealth stolen by King Philip of France, the main protagonist amongst others.

Like many things in Christian religion, I suspect it's a belief that goes back much farther, the reason now lost in time.

So do you still harbour even a glimmer of unsurety about the day or are you completely happy it's superstitious rubbish which doesn't affect your day whatsoever?


that's interesting, i always thought it was something to do with jesus, the 13 apostles and his arrest.


I thought there were only 12 apostles? - anyway it could have something to do with that, like I say no idea of it's origin and the Templar thing is just a common belief.

Coz it has struck me 'who labelled it unlucky' in the case of the Templars scenario? wouldn't have been the catholic church, they'd have celebrated the fucking thing. There weren't many Templars survived for them to keep the thing going. Maybe it was just the ordinary peasants who were scared of the church to say anything derogatory about the event, so just labelled it an unlucky day. :dunno:
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35950
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Guest wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Of course tomorrow, Friday, will be the 13th day of the month and although I know a lot of people who just poo-poo it as superstitious rubbish aren't always adverse to taking out the odd 'insurance policy' so to speak on what they do that day.

I know some who say it's rubbish but have put off doing things or leaving not so urgent matters for a more auspicious date just so as 'not to tempt fate'. :laughing:

It's something ingrained into the Christian society most of us were brought up in. I'm sure other countries and cultures have other 'unlucky' days but for us, whether religious or not, it still holds that sneaking air of belief of bad luck coming about, however dubious you are.

I'm not sure of it's origin, the common belief is that it originated from the day and date when most of the members and hierarchy of the outwardly Christian religious order, Knights Templar, were simultaneously arrested across France where they were majorly based and tortured to confess their heresy, on Friday 13th October 1307 on behalf of the Church of Rome. The order was effectively destroyed and it's wealth stolen by King Philip of France, the main protagonist amongst others.

Like many things in Christian religion, I suspect it's a belief that goes back much farther, the reason now lost in time.

So do you still harbour even a glimmer of unsurety about the day or are you completely happy it's superstitious rubbish which doesn't affect your day whatsoever?


that's interesting, i always thought it was something to do with jesus, the 13 apostles and his arrest.


I thought there were only 12 apostles? - anyway it could have something to do with that, like I say no idea of it's origin and the Templar thing is just a common belief.

Coz it has struck me 'who labelled it unlucky' in the case of the Templars scenario? wouldn't have been the catholic church, they'd have celebrated the fucking thing. There weren't many Templars survived for them to keep the thing going. Maybe it was just the ordinary peasants who were scared of the church to say anything derogatory about the event, so just labelled it an unlucky day. :dunno:


i think one of them had a +1
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Daisymay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Na not really.....saying that though my 3rd Son was overdue and they wanted me to go in and have him on Friday the 13th ,but I refused and made them do it the day before on the 12th :oops:

But on the otherside of the coin ,I was once walking along on one Fri 13th and found 3 pound notes all wrapped up in a bundle on the floor :mrgreen: think that one stuck in my mind cos of the date it was
User avatar
Daisymay
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Keyser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 pm

No - although I walked under a ladder on that day and a black cat fell off it onto my face and tore it off...
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 12046
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Daisymay wrote:Na not really.....saying that though my 3rd Son was overdue and they wanted me to go in and have him on Friday the 13th ,but I refused and made them do it the day before on the 12th :oops:

But on the otherside of the coin ,I was once walking along on one Fri 13th and found 3 pound notes all wrapped up in a bundle on the floor :mrgreen: think that one stuck in my mind cos of the date it was


Yeah, I think when people get the choice they'd prefer not to do something important on that day, no matter how non superstitious they are.

I think most people are like me, shit happens regardless of the day and date, with me it's often with alarming regularity. :laughing:
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35950
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby MG2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 pm

No I don't take much notice of it. I'm always just fine in my padded room.
User avatar
MG2
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 pm

MG2 wrote:No I don't take much notice of it. I'm always just fine in my padded room.


An excellent place to sit it out, just don't stay too long or someone might think you were put there for a reason. :thumbsup:
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35950
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Keyser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 pm

MG2 wrote:No I don't take much notice of it. I'm always just fine in my padded room.


I always thought you were just allowed a green crayon in there.

Must have been hard smuggling in your phone/laptop! :gigglesnshit:
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 12046
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Kiki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?


I have to say that I try to avoid knowing that it's coming up!! :grrrrr:

Whether that makes me superstitious.........maybe... but I just prefer taking each day as it comes, rather than worrying that something is more likely to go wrong because of the date. :ooer:
User avatar
Kiki
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Kiki » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:43 pm

MG2 wrote:No I don't take much notice of it. I'm always just fine in my padded room.



:gigglesnshit:
User avatar
Kiki
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Keyser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Kiki wrote:
MG2 wrote:No I don't take much notice of it. I'm always just fine in my padded room.



:gigglesnshit:


The only days to worry about are Halloween if you bump into a bloke called Michael or Friday 13th and cross paths with some freak called Jason.
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 12046
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby Drunk Dalek » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 pm

I’ve painted the cats black so I should be fine :thumbsup:
User avatar
Drunk Dalek
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Friday the 13th - Does it bother you?

Postby NastyNickers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:57 pm

I was suposed to be having a sofa delivered on Saturday, they’ve changed it to tomorrow and I’ve not finished redecorating yet and the old sofa isn’t going until Saturday morning. So it’s going to be a disaster.
User avatar
NastyNickers
 
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:06 am

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gigabit, Keyser and 13 guests