Fears & Phobias

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Fears & Phobias

Postby Nucks » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:40 pm

If your kid has ever come home with head lice, the ‘every living creature is beautiful and I won’t kill any living thing’ goes right out the window. Those fuckers are evil and need to die.

Edit: I’m talking about the lice, not the kids. :ooer:
Nucks

Postby Keyser » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Nucks wrote:If your kid has ever come home with head lice, the ‘every living creature is beautiful and I won’t kill any living thing’ goes right out the window. Those fuckers are evil and need to die.

Edit: I’m talking about the lice, not the kids. :ooer:

Are you sure? :gigglesnshit:
Keyser

Postby MG2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:01 pm

McAz wrote:
MG2 wrote:Phobias can be life changing, in that your alter your life to avoid the phobia at all costs.

Fear can be irrational but doesn't alter your life.

And I forgot to say hello. Hello!

Depends on the degree - the lives of PTSD sufferers, for instance, can be altered substantially - they can experience great fear but are not necessarily phobic.

That's a tricky one. Often comes under the heading of acute anxiety regarding certain situations but I've not heard it described as a phobia, so yes. Interesting point, I will have to ask my Psychologist friend, who has just fully qualified and is very keen. Fascinating subject.

I'm wondering about trying EMDR for my height phobia, although of course it is more usual to treat PTSD, have you used that? I've heard good things.
MG2

Postby Text » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Scary movies, sci-fi chillers, hammer horrors etc. :hide:
Text

Postby Stooo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Canary wrote:Scary movies, sci-fi chillers, hammer horrors etc. :hide:

Do you avoid them or happen on them?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 pm

MG2 wrote:
McAz wrote:
MG2 wrote:Phobias can be life changing, in that your alter your life to avoid the phobia at all costs.

Depends on the degree - the lives of PTSD sufferers, for instance, can be altered substantially - they can experience great fear but are not necessarily phobic.

That's a tricky one. Often comes under the heading of acute anxiety regarding certain situations but I've not heard it described as a phobia, so yes. Interesting point, I will have to ask my Psychologist friend, who has just fully qualified and is very keen. Fascinating subject.

I'm wondering about trying EMDR for my height phobia, although of course it is more usual to treat PTSD, have you used that? I've heard good things.

I have practiced a meditative form of EMDR almost every day for years - it has helped me and my wife particularly at times of great stress.
McAz

Postby Text » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Stooo wrote:

Usually got roped into watching them.
Text

Postby Stooo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

It's a pretty crap phobia then TBH. :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm

It's like i'm not even trying....
Text

Postby Stooo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Canary wrote:It's like i'm not even trying....

I've never thought that you'd be scared of anything :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Try watching '80's family comedy Hellraiser - you will love it! :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby MG2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 pm

McAz wrote:
MG2 wrote:
McAz wrote:

I have practiced a meditative form of EMDR almost every day for years - it has helped me and my wife particularly at times of great stress.

I'm glad to hear you have found something that helps, McAz. I will research the meditative form.
MG2

Postby McAz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:50 pm

MG2 wrote:
McAz wrote:
MG2 wrote:
McAz wrote:

I'm glad to hear you have found something that helps, McAz. I will research the meditative form.

As far I know it was developed by Pim Draper who is a former consultant psychologist who lives in Cairo. Ask your friend about it, he/she may know of Pim and his methods.
McAz

Postby Text » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:It's like i'm not even trying....

I've never thought that you'd be scared of anything :mrgreen:
My grandparents put the fear of God in me, stooo. They always threatened me with the bogey man whenever I was naughty. A quick smack round the chops would've sufficed ffs. :woteva:

Keyser wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Try watching '80's family comedy Hellraiser - you will love it! :thumbsup:

OK I'll check it out. Assuming you're not being sarky here, K? :woteva:
G/night. xx :laughing:
Text

Postby MG2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm

McAz wrote:As far I know it was developed by Pim Draper who is a former consultant psychologist who lives in Cairo. Ask your friend about it, he/she may know of Pim and his methods.

I will. I've seen the box with the click click and different colours working but that was only observational so am interested in the meditative form. Thanks.
MG2

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms