400 Years Of Slavery - That Sounds Like A Choice?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: 400 Years Of Slavery - That Sounds Like A Choice?

Postby NastyNickers » Thu May 03, 2018 11:22 am

Trapper John wrote:How many films do you see where 'slaves' are prtrayed living a contented life? How many books have you read, written by contemporary, educated slaves reporting the contented life they had where they were slaves only in name, but were part of valued workforce and treated like mambers of the family?

None, because people rarely put into words how forunate they feel they are and if they do there is little chance they'll ever be published because then as now, it doesn't sell books. People with axes to grind sell books, doesn't mean to say their axes aren't valid, it just means people want their stories rather than someone who is just hunky dory with their life.

It always made me wonder why it was that after the south were defeated in the civil war which is simply described as a war against slavery, that the northern states of America weren't overrun with fleeing southern state slaves looking for a better life?

Most simply stayed where they were, why?

Is there anything that backs up your view that slaves lived happy little lives, feeling fortunate and lucky to be slaves?

Or are you just making it up as you go along?
:dunno:
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Thu May 03, 2018 11:24 am

Trapper John wrote:
Guest wrote:Nobody likes abusers.

Which is why you engage as a guest, yes?

What difference does that make?
Nobody likes to be abused.

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 am

NastyNickers wrote:
Trapper John wrote:How many films do you see where 'slaves' are prtrayed living a contented life? How many books have you read, written by contemporary, educated slaves reporting the contented life they had where they were slaves only in name, but were part of valued workforce and treated like mambers of the family?

None, because people rarely put into words how forunate they feel they are and if they do there is little chance they'll ever be published because then as now, it doesn't sell books. People with axes to grind sell books, doesn't mean to say their axes aren't valid, it just means people want their stories rather than someone who is just hunky dory with their life.

It always made me wonder why it was that after the south were defeated in the civil war which is simply described as a war against slavery, that the northern states of America weren't overrun with fleeing southern state slaves looking for a better life?

Is there anything that backs up your view that slaves lived happy little lives, feeling fortunate and lucky to be slaves?

I'm guessing the old House Negro v Field Negro distinction is going to come up.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Rockstar » Thu May 03, 2018 11:30 am

NastyNickers wrote:

Well Django had a good life....
Rockstar

Postby Guest » Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 am

Kanye is Trumps slave. There is an image of him on the net after his breakdown with Donald Trump and his hair bleached. Just weeks before he was asking others to lend him money and was in fear of his safety. He's very much owned and doing as he's told.

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Thu May 03, 2018 11:40 am

Guest wrote:Kanye is Trumps slave. There is an image of him on the net after his breakdown with Donald Trump and his hair bleached. Just weeks before he was asking others to lend him money and was in fear of his safety. He's very much owned and doing as he's told.

And all the other black celebrities, Jaz-Z and Beyonce etc, they are slaves of the Democratic Party?
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Trapper John » Thu May 03, 2018 11:41 am

NastyNickers wrote:
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to drive here, TJ? Is it about slavery, or is it about lofty idealists (I’m not sure what they are?).

The thread was my take on the comment which makes the title. It was not an unnatural assumption to take from that, that West was in someway saying 'yeah well if slavery was that bad, how come it took 400 years to get rid of it? maybe you should have tried harder, earlier." Now Avon has put his slant on it saying that wasn't actually what he meant, he meant................ he might be right. :dunno:

As my post was ealier than that I asked if West could be right and gave some reasons why that might be so, and thats where we are. Of course the usual suspects jumped on it and tried to imply, subtly I'll admit, that there is some racist angle to it and that I was an advocate of slavery.

A reasonable assumption to make I suppose because I am white and I was talking about black people, thats all it needs today apparently.

Oh and 'lofty idealists' as it says on the tin, those who have lofty ideals. I use it to describe just that but with the added fact that they have these lofty ideals but have no thought or often care what the consequences will be in their zealous attempts to achieve their lofty goals.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby NastyNickers » Thu May 03, 2018 11:49 am

Trapper John wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to drive here, TJ? Is it about slavery, or is it about lofty idealists (I’m not sure what they are?).

The thread was my take on the comment which makes the title. It was not an unnatural assumption to take from that, that West was in someway saying 'yeah well if slavery was that bad, how come it took 400 years to get rid of it? maybe you should have tried harder, earlier." Now Avon has put his slant on it saying that wasn't actually what he meant, he meant................ he might be right. :dunno:

As my post was ealier than that I asked if West could be right and gave some reasons why that might be so, and thats where we are. Of course the usual suspects jumped on it and tried to imply, subtly I'll admit, that there is some racist angle to it and that I was an advocate of slavery.

A reasonable assumption to make I suppose because I am white and I was talking about black people, thats all it needs today apparently.

Oh and 'lofty idealists' as it says on the tin, those who have lofty ideals. I use it to describe just that but with the added fact that they have these lofty ideals but have no thought or often care what the consequences will be in their zealous attempts to achieve their lofty goals.

Nobody implied a racist angle. Care to link to the posts that you think imply that?

Kanye was waffling about choices and shit, not really whether they enjoyed it or not. He clarified further he meant menta enslavement.
You seem to be waving between spaces being happy to be slaves, and lofty idealists. I still can’t grasp your point regarding lofty ideals and the slave trade.
NastyNickers

Postby Trapper John » Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 am

NastyNickers wrote:

I'm not making anything up, they are theoretical statments because I can't say for sure that every slave wasn't beaten, raped, abused and treated abysmally any more than you can say they were.

You can make educated judgements though, with the help of facts and probablity. At the height of the slave trade (just before the civil war) the last census had almost 4 million of the 31 million Americans registered as slaves.

Extrapolate that over a 400 year period and you get fuck knows but a lot. To say every one of those slaves over that time period was beaten and raped and abused and treated abysmally would be unlikely. I go further and say many more would have been abused in the early days than would have been in the latter days, all things considered. It's as simple as that.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

Nobody implied a racist angle. Care to link to the posts that you think imply that?

Kanye was waffling about choices and shit, not really whether they enjoyed it or not. He clarified further he meant menta enslavement.
You seem to be waving between spaces being happy to be slaves, and lofty idealists. I still can’t grasp your point regarding lofty ideals and the slave trade.

Should I, do I need to type everything in ways a child can understand? I didn't think so. I thought my posts were easily understandable to anyone who wanted to understand them instead of putting their own slant on them. :dunno:

Now you struck me as being someone with intelligence, don't disappointment me.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby NastyNickers » Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Trapper John wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

I'm not making anything up, they are theoretical statments because I can't say for sure that every slave wasn't beaten, raped, abused and treated abysmally any more than you can say they were.

You can make educated judgements though, with the help of facts and probablity. At the height of the slave trade (just before the civil war) the last census had almost 4 million of the 31 million Americans registered as slaves.

Extrapolate that over a 400 year period and you get fuck knows but a lot. To say every one of those slaves over that time period was beaten and raped and abused and treated abysmally would be unlikely. I go further and say many more would have been abused in the early days than would have been in the latter days, all things considered. It's as simple as that.

There will be exceptions to the majority, I’m sure. There were a great many sympathetic to the plight of the slaves, which eventually brought about the abolition of slavery.
But that doesn’t take away from all the bad that the slave trade was.
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Guest wrote:Kanye is Trumps slave. There is an image of him on the net after his breakdown with Donald Trump and his hair bleached. Just weeks before he was asking others to lend him money and was in fear of his safety. He's very much owned and doing as he's told.

And all the other black celebrities, Jaz-Z and Beyonce etc, they are slaves of the Democratic Party?

I think they differ in that Kanye was in fear of his and his families safety. The image of him meeting Trump after his very public breakdown said a lot. Even will.i.am said he couldn't understand it and said "That isn't Kanye".

Hes acting out of character. He's being controlled.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu May 03, 2018 12:57 pm

[quote="Trapper John"]

Yes of course there was abuse, not least in dragging people from their homelands and transplanting them thousands of miles away and putting them to work. Of course there would have been physical and mental abuse in all manner of ways particularly for the newcomers but .................../quote]
:ooer:
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Guest wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:

I think they differ in that Kanye was in fear of his and his families safety. The image of him meeting Trump after his very public breakdown said a lot. Even will.i.am said he couldn't understand it and said "That isn't Kanye".

Hes acting out of character. He's being controlled.

He was came out in support of Trump before his breakdown though?

He's not acting out of character. He's acting consistently.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu May 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Trapper John wrote:When you think about it, much of what we are led to believe about African slavery in the new world doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense.

Yes of course there was abuse, not least in dragging people from their homelands and transplanting them thousands of miles away and putting them to work. Of course there would have been physical and mental abuse in all manner of ways particularly for the newcomers but what about those who had lived the best part of their lives in slavery and those born into it, did they all feel like slaves?
:

Yes.
:srs?:
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms