What happened To Retail?

A right load of bollocks...

What happened To Retail?

Postby Stooo » Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Try to keep it on topic chaps :smilin:

I'm not really affected by the dip in high street retail sales, I buy a lot of my stuff online like a lot of people but I'm lucky enough to see the latest problems first hand, DD can back me up if it wishes (I don't know any Dalek pronouns).

There's a retail park in the middle of Bridgwater called The Leggar and it has several superstores including the likes of Argos, Sainsburys and Asda literally across the road. Next to Argos there is the shell of a brand new Marks and Spencer food hall, they have built it from the bottom up.

Sainsburys borged Argos a while ago and is probably going to do the same with Asda. The Marks and Sparks has been abandoned since last week, no fit out crews and security has fucked off. And then we have Tesco Direct being abandoned. TD is an online website that allows you to order stuff to your door or to your local Tesco for click and collect, non food stuff only. 500 jobs down the toilet as well as the amalgamation of three stores into one.

How busy is your high street, when did you last bother to visit it? I've not been into town for ages and I don't feel the need to.

What happened to this nation of shopkeepers?
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: What happened To Retail?

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 pm

all little independent shops where i am & it's thriving. you've got to go nearly 20 miles to get any of the big retail type shops.

Postby Nucks » Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 pm

They got rid of the security at the shop where I work last year. The most recent audit came back as being down £40,000, the bulk of it from theft. What were they thinking? :ooer:

I don’t go into town much as I have the main shops fairly close to where I live. There’s still quite a few little shops around too.
Nucks

Postby McAz » Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Guest wrote:all little independent shops where i am & it's thriving. you've got to go nearly 20 miles to get any of the big retail type shops.

That's my experience here.
McAz

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 pm

McAz wrote:
Guest wrote:all little independent shops where i am & it's thriving. you've got to go nearly 20 miles to get any of the big retail type shops.

it's really nice, they know your favourites & what you like & it's friendly.

Postby megaera » Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Imo the high street failed to adapt to changes in people's working hours and lifestyles.

If I need to grab something for dinner on my way home from work I walk past the greengrocer and butcher that closed at 5pm to the supermarket that's open when it's convenient for most people.

The same goes for most retail outlets. Independent places selling more unique or bespoke items tend to fair better as they have stuff you can't find elsewhere.
megaera

Postby NastyNickers » Tue May 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Ours is booming. But the neighbouring towns not so much.
My closest is Bury, it had a revamp a few years ago and they built The Rock. It’s at the end of a tram service, 20 minutes away from Manchester centre, full of similar shops, and not quite as rammed as Manchester gets. There’s the milgate with more shops further down, and 3 different retail parks surrounding it, all within walking distance (5mins either way max).

I use it. It’s convenient. Loads of cheap parking, shops all close by. And we have the ‘world famous market’ that’s cheap as fuck for meat and veg and flowers. I can park on Asda, do a shop and

I was there today and will be back tomorrow. I park at Asda or Tesco, do a shop and whip into bury for shit that’s cheaper than the supermarket.
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm

big retail is going to employ very few people soon, almost all tills will be automatic.

Postby McAz » Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:

it's really nice, they know your favourites & what you like & it's friendly.

My missus prefers them for much of our essentials. I confine my outings to the local, award winning, butcher.
Last edited by McAz on Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 pm

It's thriving in Bury St Edmunds :gigglesnshit:

Postby Trapper John » Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Giant Amazon warehouses filled with cheap migrant workers under a Stalinist regime is what is happening to retail.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Dean » Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Trapper John wrote:Giant Amazon warehouses filled with cheap migrant workers under a Stalinist regime is what is happening to retail.

Who had TJ in the ‘blame the migrants’ sweepstake?
Dean

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Dean wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Giant Amazon warehouses filled with cheap migrant workers under a Stalinist regime is what is happening to retail.

me! i just won a fiver! cheers tj.

Postby Trapper John » Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Dean wrote:

If you did, you lost out. Where am I blaming migrants? :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:

If you did, you lost out. Where am I blaming migrants? :dunno:

how can a Capitalist company be Stalinist?

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms