RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

Postby BUDGIE » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:05 am

How are people rating this World Cup?

I don't feel it's as exciting as say Euro 2016 was.. I can't put my finger on why. Might be the lack of juicy matches, with exception of Portugal v Spain and Mexico pumping the krauts... Just my impression

ETA: early days yet I know.
BUDGIE
What the fuck?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am

BUDGIE wrote:How are people rating this World Cup?

I don't feel it's as exciting as say Euro 2016 was.. I can't put my finger on why. Might be the lack of juicy matches, with exception of Portugal v Spain and Mexico pumping the krauts... Just my impression

I’ve only seen one match, it was tense, not sure I cope with anymore. :ooer:
Lady Murasaki

Postby banana chewits » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am

it's not grabbed me yet, maybe when the group winners go through it might get better.
banana chewits

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:41 am

The thing I remember most from Euro 2016 was Iceland.

Maybe we need an underdog. Someone to really surprise us.

I think my favourite so far has been Mexico. I fucking loved that match. If England go out I’m gonna become a Mexican I think.
NastyNickers

Postby Red Okktober » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:04 am

Three matches a day, many featuring shit teams, takes the edge off the initial excitement a bit. Also knowing 2 teams get through from each group takes the sudden death element out of it. England V Belgium should pretty much be a decider as to who tops the group and who comes second, which doesn't make a huge amount of difference other than to decide your next opponent, and from what I've seen so far, there doesn't appear to be any teams anyone would especially want to avoid. It doesn't seem right you can lose a match and still get through, or make it with 3 draws and no wins.

I'd like to see 64 teams in it, with knock out football from the beginning , extra time and penalties. Every match would be far more exciting, and there'd be no dead rubbers. Have the first few rounds seeded so the better teams avoid each other until the last 16. You'd still get some early shocks, just like you do in the FA Cup.

I know the current format is all about the TV audience and making money, but purely from an entertainment POV, knock out football from the beginning would make for a better tournament.
Red Okktober

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:23 am

Missed most of Spain v Portugal and the first half hour of England yesterday which was when they played well apparently so I've not seen any good football yet.

64 teams though Red!

Think 48 is going to be too many.

A knock-out competition would be more exciting but maybe the best team wouldn't win. Plus England might be knocked out straight away probably given that they are usually slow starters.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Dean » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:48 am

I’ve enjoyed it so far really. The first set of games are always tight affairs, no one wants to get beat. Things should start hotting up now though...
Dean

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:49 am

First round group games are usually dull, with teams trying out various new things, trying not to lose the first match etc.

If I was running it I'd have 48 teams, 12 groups of 4, Top 3 go through, 1st places play the 3rd places and the 2nd places remaining play each other in a draw that is NOT already known. I'd do the draw immediately after the last match of the group stage. This stops the posturing when a team wins their first 2 matches and decides if they want to play team x or y of group Z depending if they win, lose or draw. This defines their route but if the route was decided after the last group match it would be more random and less contrived. The knockout draw would then be for all of the knockout rounds not just the round of 32. The first matches of the next stage would be held in a Capital or major city, which has numerous stadia locally, so none of we had to travel x miles, the later games could be in the regions as you are playing 16 matches and they take time to complete even with 4 a day. It would be 6 weeks long and be more of a worldwide experience with more nations from more continents playing. This would give countries like Chile, Scotland, New Zealand, Thailand etc a better chance of qualifying.

Notice to Daily Mail readers, my local housing association haven't asked me to remove my England flag. :gigglesnshit: It doesn't offend any of my neighbours. :thumbsup:
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Columbia have recovered after conceding a penalty and having a defender sent off for handball, stopping a goal scoring opportunity. Columbia 0 Japan 1 24 minutes
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm

10 man Columbia are level due to a fantastic free kick under the wall, the Japanese keeper made a hash of the save and couldn't help but parry it into the inside of the side netting and over the line. :yikes:

1-1 40 minutes, cracking match.
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Japan retake the lead, 2-1 ten minutes to go plus stoppage time
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Columbia pressing in stoppage time 1-2 Japan, 3 minutes of stoppage time left.
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Columbia 1 Japan 2, another shock. :yikes:
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Another possible shock in the making, Poland 0 Senegal 1, deflected shot beats the wrong footed the former Arsenal Polish keeper.
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Half time Poland 0 Senegal 1.
Punk

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms