RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

Postby dis » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:45 am

I'm backing Nigeria and I would really love Australia to do well. I don't think either of them will win.
dis

Postby Snookerballs » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:46 am

Jem wrote:England have zero chance of winning, sadly.

Will Putin allow them into the Country following the Russian Spy Accusations ???

If we are prepared to ignore Roman Abramovich visa, maybe Putin will do the same to our team
Snookerballs

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:18 am

Snookerballs wrote:

Will Putin allow them into the Country following the Russian Spy Accusations ???

If we are prepared to ignore Roman Abramovich visa, maybe Putin will do the same to our team

I was thinking along those lines recently.
I think everyone will be allowed in though.
Will the hooligan violence be a bloodbath is what occupies my thoughts about it all at the moment.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 am

Snookerballs wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest Snooks and on the wider issue of allocating the world cup, there has to be corruption at the heart of FIFA, bcos htf can nations like Russia and bloody Qatar get the world cup awarded to them anyway, bcos Russia is one of the most corrupt country in the world and Qatar have no footballing history anyway........
Mickyboy

Postby Gerst » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:34 am

Shame the Dutch aren't there this year, and no Italy either, incredibly.

England will get knocked out in the 2nd round again, because we always have the wrong manager – otherwise of course we'd win it every time!
Gerst

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:44 am

It looks like being a very open WC and hard to predict. The favourites seem to have more weaknesses than usual, and there doesn't appear to be any all-round solid teams. It could be a year when an outsider springs a surprise.

I don't give a shit about England, and they're not good enough anyway. I'm also a touch wary of how the South Americans will cope with several weeks of Russian hospitality.

It's France for me. Great in midfield and attack, but they look vulnerable at the back - a bit like Arsenal really. Vive La France!!

Red Okktober

Postby Stooo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:

Will the hooligan violence be a bloodbath is what occupies my thoughts about it all at the moment.

State controlled hooliganism?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:39 pm

Of the 10 WCs played in Europe, European countries have won 9 of them. Of the 7 WCs played in South America, South American teams have won 6 of them

The exceptions to winning in your own neck of the woods, were Germany last time in Brazil, and Brazil in Sweden in 1958.

So for whatever reason, playing on your own continent seems to be quite an advantage.
Red Okktober

Postby Snookerballs » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:

Yes I think our Supporters will be in for a hard time whether they are innocent or not !
Snookerballs

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:00 pm

1st England friendly before the world cup starts in 2 weeks and we're 2-0 up against Nigeria with goals from Cahill and the Hurrikane, good start lads against a rubbish African side tbh........ :header:
Mickyboy

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:

Well I'm betting that's what the powers that be will be selling us if it kicks off.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Keyser » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Never bet against the Germans.

However I am sure England will do this nation proud as they always do in the big tournaments.

Keyser

Postby Star » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:17 pm

When does it finish
Star

Postby St Swithin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Star wrote:When does it finish

July 15th
St Swithin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Red Okktober wrote:Of the 10 WCs played in Europe, European countries have won 9 of them. Of the 7 WCs played in South America, South American teams have won 6 of them

The exceptions to winning in your own neck of the woods, were Germany last time in Brazil, and Brazil in Sweden in 1958.

So for whatever reason, playing on your own continent seems to be quite an advantage.

I would say the kind of climate you’re used to playing in puts you at a physical advantage but as most professional players play all around the world now, less so in their country of origin, that theory doesn’t hold up.
So it’s a mental advantage of ‘home turf’ over a physical advantage.

After England I’m rooting for Brazil, they have flair and style, except for when they’re diving and faking it. That puts me right off watching it.
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms