RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm

I'll still watch the final, and I won't hold anything against Croatia. They really picked up in the second half, and I don't think I could have watched it go to penalties anyway. :laughing:
Raggamuffin

Postby guest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:When was the last time Scotland even had a half-decent player?

When Gascoigne played for Rangers.

Postby Vam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Gareth Southgate is a Grade A class act, and his lads were totally up for it and massively proud to wear the England shirt.

I seriously doubt they would have come even half as far with a buffoon like, say, Sam Allardyce as manager.
Vam

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Architects of our own demise once again. My prediction of a 3-1 victory to England should have stood and would have if we had concentrated on finishing from open play instead of defending and set pieces.

When Southgte announced his squad I said it was woefully short of strikers and so it proved. A one trick pony in Vardy, a past it winger in Welbeck, a young striker in Rashford who got less games for United last season than Wilshere did for Arsenal and a world renowned hitman in Harry Kane who for some inexplicable reason, spent the last two most important games for England in 25 years playing in midfield and being largely anonymous. :dunno:

In my opinion Southgate concentrated far too much time working on set pieces and defending, completely forgetting about scoring from open play.

In tonights game we should have gone in at half time 3-0 up, instead we encouraged Croatia by not going in for the kill because we had no-one equipped to put the chances we had away. Kane should have but instead he or someone decided yet again to let Sterling run around the pitch like a headless chicken without purpose, whilst Kane waited for something to happen in between the goal and half way line, as incredible as making him our corner taker in the Euro's. :shake head:

I can almost guarantee that talk at half time centered on holding on to our slim lead, rely on the defence to do their job and hopefully pick out another goal from a set piece, a tactic which failed miserably. Not only because it means total concentration but because it gave Croatia hope that they could snatch an equaliser then go on the front foot, which is exactly what happened and we paid the price.

There is no way an aging team like Croatia should have beaten a young and athletic bunch of players in England shirts particularly as they'd played back to back 120 minute games so recently, so the fact remains that our game plan was flawed and the longer it went on the worse it got.

To be fair, Croatia should have been down to 10 men before half time if the ref had the guts or eyesight to have punished any 2 of Lovren's half dozen dirty yellow card challenges, instead he escaped them all.

Thats by the by now, in essence England failed to push home their advantage when the opportunities arose, in my opinion because of a flawed game plan with nothing to fall back on.

And whilst everyone congratulates themselves on reaching a world cup semi final it's worth remembering that we did it against some pretty inferior teams and when we met anyone half decent (Belgium and Croatia) we were defeated.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Gabby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm

I was gonna have a burger and beer night on Sunday hoping they’d make the final..... had loadsa texts asking if it’s now cancelled! :gigglesnshit: .... nah, it’s now on Saturday instead! :mrgreen:
Gabby

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Cleopatra wrote:Devastated! Those young lads played so well in the first half and then lost their nerve a bit in the second half. They put their hearts into it. Now, I'll be backing France against Croatia for the final.

On another depressing note, domestic violence soars whenever England lose a match. A sobering thought.

That old bollocks comes out every time England are in a competition - domestic violence rises or falls only by virtue of the amount of alcohol consumed.

If tennis had the scale and type of following football had, the figures would be just the same if Andy Murray was beaten at Wimbledon. Football, England or otherwise has fuck all to do with the levels of domestic violence - it's booze and a reason to get tanked up.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby calitom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:Devastated! Those young lads played so well in the first half and then lost their nerve a bit in the second half. They put their hearts into it. Now, I'll be backing France against Croatia for the final.

On another depressing note, domestic violence soars whenever England lose a match. A sobering thought.

That old bollocks comes out every time England are in a competition - domestic violence rises or falls only by virtue of the amount of alcohol consumed.

If tennis had the scale and type of following football had, the figures would be just the same if Andy Murray was beaten at Wimbledon. Football, England or otherwise has fuck all to do with the levels of domestic violence - it's booze and a reason to get tanked up.

yep--used as an excuse
calitom

Postby Cobs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Pissed up Federer fans have been keeping me up nights for donkeys!
Cobs

Postby jra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Trapper John wrote:Architects of our own demise once again. My prediction of a 3-1 victory to England should have stood and would have if we had concentrated on finishing from open play instead of defending and set pieces.

When Southgte announced his squad I said it was woefully short of strikers and so it proved. A one trick pony in Vardy, a past it winger in Welbeck, a young striker in Rashford who got less games for United last season than Wilshere did for Arsenal and a world renowned hitman in Harry Kane who for some inexplicable reason, spent the last two most important games for England in 25 years playing in midfield and being largely anonymous. :dunno:

In my opinion Southgate concentrated far too much time working on set pieces and defending, completely forgetting about scoring from open play.

In tonights game we should have gone in at half time 3-0 up, instead we encouraged Croatia by not going in for the kill because we had no-one equipped to put the chances we had away. Kane should have but instead he or someone decided yet again to let Sterling run around the pitch like a headless chicken without purpose, whilst Kane waited for something to happen in between the goal and half way line, as incredible as making him our corner taker in the Euro's. :shake head:

I can almost guarantee that talk at half time centered on holding on to our slim lead, rely on the defence to do their job and hopefully pick out another goal from a set piece, a tactic which failed miserably. Not only because it means total concentration but because it gave Croatia hope that they could snatch an equaliser then go on the front foot, which is exactly what happened and we paid the price.

There is no way an aging team like Croatia should have beaten a young and athletic bunch of players in England shirts particularly as they'd played back to back 120 minute games so recently, so the fact remains that our game plan was flawed and the longer it went on the worse it got.

To be fair, Croatia should have been down to 10 men before half time if the ref had the guts or eyesight to have punished any 2 of Lovren's half dozen dirty yellow card challenges, instead he escaped them all.

Thats by the by now, in essence England failed to push home their advantage when the opportunities arose, in my opinion because of a flawed game plan with nothing to fall back on.

And whilst everyone congratulates themselves on reaching a world cup semi final it's worth remembering that we did it against some pretty inferior teams and when we met anyone half decent (Belgium and Croatia) we were defeated.

Or summed up in four words 'England fucked it up'.
jra

Postby Cleopatra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Trapper John wrote:

I didn't bother to go into the reasons (thick, violent, inadequate blokes, alcohol, previous history etc ) as I thought it was blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. I just stated the fact. Thank goodness you were here to mansplain it all to us. Phew!
Cleopatra

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

I didn't bother to go into the reasons (thick, violent, inadequate blokes, alcohol, previous history etc ) as I thought it was blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. I just stated the fact. Thank goodness you were here to mansplain it all to us. Phew!

You needn't have said anything - why regurgitate that old shite about it being England football related if it is blatantly obvious that people punch the shit out of each other when they have an excuse to get pissed up, regardless of the occasion?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

BTW, it isn't just the preserve of men to get tanked up and lash out, plenty of your gender like nothing better. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Gabby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

A reminder for everyone that needs it tonight:
24 hour National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline
0808 2000 247
#ENGCRO

:ooer:
Gabby

Postby jra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

About a third of domestic violence is attributable to women according to the ONS, so not sure where 'inadequate blokes' comes into it. And mansplaining is off the scale when it comes to condescending/patronizing.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... stic-abuse
jra

Postby Cleopatra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

You needn't have said anything - why regurgitate that old shite about it being England football related if it is blatantly obvious that people punch the shit out of each other when they have an excuse to get pissed up, regardless of the occasion?

I will say whatever the hell I like. You don't intimidate me. I'm not your ex-wife. Pour yourself into bed, mate.
Cleopatra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms