RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

Postby VelvetCat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:Of the 10 WCs played in Europe, European countries have won 9 of them. Of the 7 WCs played in South America, South American teams have won 6 of them

The exceptions to winning in your own neck of the woods, were Germany last time in Brazil, and Brazil in Sweden in 1958.

So for whatever reason, playing on your own continent seems to be quite an advantage.

I would say the kind of climate you’re used to playing in puts you at a physical advantage but as most professional players play all around the world now, less so in their country of origin, that theory doesn’t hold up.
So it’s a mental advantage of ‘home turf’ over a physical advantage.

After England I’m rooting for Brazil, they have flair and style, except for when they’re diving and faking it. That puts me right off watching it.

Yes, when Brazil actually play football, they are a pleasure to watch. Pity in recent years they've resorted to the diving and faking.

I just have a funny feeling that England will do well this time, not sure why, just think they will, hope so anyway.
VelvetCat

Location: The Hawthorns, loaned to the Championship for another season!

Postby Star » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 pm

St Swithin wrote:
Star wrote:When does it finish

July 15th

Bloody hell :grrrrr:
Star

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:01 pm

VelvetCat wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:Of the 10 WCs played in Europe, European countries have won 9 of them. Of the 7 WCs played in South America, South American teams have won 6 of them

The exceptions to winning in your own neck of the woods, were Germany last time in Brazil, and Brazil in Sweden in 1958.

So for whatever reason, playing on your own continent seems to be quite an advantage.

I would say the kind of climate you’re used to playing in puts you at a physical advantage but as most professional players play all around the world now, less so in their country of origin, that theory doesn’t hold up.

After England I’m rooting for Brazil, they have flair and style, except for when they’re diving and faking it. That puts me right off watching it.

Yes, when Brazil actually play football, they are a pleasure to watch. Pity in recent years they've resorted to the diving and faking.

I just have a funny feeling that England will do well this time, not sure why, just think they will, hope so anyway.

I agree, on both points.
I always hold out hope for England, while watching from behind a cushion!
:scared:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Keyser » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:02 pm

VelvetCat wrote:Yes, when Brazil actually play football, they are a pleasure to watch. Pity in recent years they've resorted to the diving and faking.

It would be about bloody time - we have performed well only twice in the cup's history (winning in '66 and the semis in'90).

I think realistically we are only ever a quarter final type tournament team - but I am glad in recent years the tabloiud press have not been making us out to be something we are not (as good as Brazil/Germany).
Keyser

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:59 am

So England won their first pre WC friendly with a 2-1 victory over Nigeria at Wembley yesterday.

Nigeria are no mugs but they were very poor first half with many players looking clueless about what they were supposed to be doing. England took advantage of that despite some players being out of their club comfort zones a touch and the 2-0 lead at half time courtesy of Gary Cahill (Chelsea) and Harry Kane (Spurs) should have been double that.

To be fair, Nigeria came out with a changed formation and with some substitutions, pulled one back shortly after the restart after a shot rebounded off the post and Alex Iwobi (Arsenal) converted as England struggled to adapt to the opponents new system.

The result remained 2-1 at full time giving Southgate and the players much to think about. The first order of today will be to tell Raheem Sterling that if he pulls off any more of those outrageous diving stunts at the WC proper, we are likely to be down to 10 men and if he thought the tattoo saga was a pain, it'll be nothing compared to hiding he'll get as the 2018 David Beckham.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:18 am

Not much else to say about the other friendlies from yesterday, Belgium & Portugal bored out a 0-0 draw as did Sweden and Denmark and the RoI beat the USA 2-1.

Also, read nothing into Germany's 2-1 defeat by Austria, they make a habit of losing pre competition friendlies which is usually the precursor to them having a storming tournament.

A few games today finish the first round of warm up's. Mexico beat Scotland 1-0 before they fly in for the tournament, Thursday's England opponents Costa Rica will play Northern Ireland later today and I suppose all eyes will be on Spain later tonight as they take on Switzerland.

Just for our few antipodean readers, if it hasn't been mentioned already - Australia beat the Czech Republic 4-0 on Friday night.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:34 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:

Very astute of you, you've been coached. Where Brazil are concerned they have had many players who have carved out at least part of a career in Russian football, they seem to adapt well for the most part.

Willian now of Chelsea played in the Russain Premier league and Givanildo Vieira de Sousa (Hulk) being two examples of the almost 40 Brazillians who plied their trade in the cold climes of Russia.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 am

banana chewits wrote:what's your prediction, tj?

I can't see past Germany I'm afraid, with maybe France giving them a run for their money.

Belgium should on paper walk the thing being packed to the gunwales with top class players but unless Roberto Martinez and Thierry Henry have been working miracles in secret, those great players have never been able to gel into a 'team'. :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:13 am

The Belgian Squad reads like a who's who of Premier League and European football, you'd think a team picked from a squad like that would steamroller any opposition but they haven't done as yet, been very disappointing for the most part.

Maybe this is their time, who knows. :dunno:

Koen Casteels, Thibaut Courtois, Simon Mignolet, Matz Sels; Toby Alderweireld, Dedryck Boyata, Laurent Ciman, Christian Kabasele, Vincent Kompany, Jordan Lukaku, Thomas Meunier, Thomas Vermaelen, Jan Vertonghen; Nacer Chadli, Kevin De Bruyne, Mousa Dembele, Leander Dendoncker, Marouane Fellaini, Youri Tielemans, Axel Witsel; Michy Batshuayi, Christian Benteke, Yannick Carrasco, Eden Hazard, Thorgan Hazard, Adnan Januzaj, Romelu Lukaku, Dries Mertens.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:07 am

Jobless Oddball. wrote:England will do good as the team have many spurs and ex-spurs players in the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed it for you! :thumbsup:

:mrgreen:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:27 am

Yesterday's pre world cup friendlies saw Brazil beat Croatia 2-0 and Spain v Switzerland ended in a 1-1 draw. England's opponents in the second friendly on Thursday, Costa Rica, beat Northern Ireland 3-0.

Tonight will see a match between Italy and Holland. When the friendlies were planned it was no doubt expected that both teams would be warming up for Russia instead it's even more meanlingless than any normal friendly would be, both sides having failed to make the cut for the finals.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:47 am

Why are they bothering then?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Why are they bothering then?

It's a FIFA rule, a set amount of friendly games per season are allowed and have to be arranged and played, regardless of whether there is a tournament in the offing or not.

It's supposed to give national team managers time with their players and of course creates revenue for the national Football Associations.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:59 am

Trapper John wrote:

It's a FIFA rule, a set amount of friendly games per season are allowed and have to be arranged and played, regardless of whether there is a tournament in the offing or not.

It's supposed to give national team managers time with their players and of course creates revenue for the national Football Associations.

That’s ok then. It’s not all about the World Cup. And the fans might enjoy it as their teams aren’t through, then again they might be seething if they play well. Seems the old greats aren’t cutting it as well as they used to.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:19 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

That’s ok then. It’s not all about the World Cup. And the fans might enjoy it as their teams aren’t through, then again they might be seething if they play well. Seems the old greats aren’t cutting it as well as they used to.

Nope, it's a sad day when such International giants as Italy and Holland don't make the grade. At least they have the Euro's in two years time to plan for.
Trapper John
Gunner.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms