Random Stuff Part 22

Big Threads

Re: Random Stuff Part 22

Postby Bella » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Husband has an appointment at the hospital on friday 13, one of those you have to get within 2 weeks. Hopefully nothing but my stress levels are rising...so dreading it :ooer:
Last edited by Bella on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella

Postby Keyser » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Bella wrote:Husband has an appointment at the hospital on friday 13, one of those you have get within 2 weeks. Hopefully nothing but my stress levels are rising...so dreading it :ooer:

Best of luck to him Bella. (X)
Keyser

Postby Bella » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Keyser wrote:
Bella wrote:Husband has an appointment at the hospital on friday 13, one of those you have get within 2 weeks. Hopefully nothing but my stress levels are rising...so dreading it :ooer:

Best of luck to him Bella. (X)

Thanks, I'm in total stress mode but trying not to be :smilin:
Bella

Postby measurer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Bella wrote:Husband has an appointment at the hospital on friday 13, one of those you have to get within 2 weeks. Hopefully nothing but my stress levels are rising...so dreading it :ooer:

I can be flexible on dates.

I think it's going to make a massive difference for him, good luck when it comes.
measurer

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:Went to Silloth and looked at the sea. Pretty random I say.

Did the sea look back at you?

But, seriously, I do miss the seaside/coast at times to be honest.

Just stare at your avi.
Or get up off your lazy ass and travel to the coast.

I lived near the coast for nearly 21 years, south Devon. Seen it, done it, got the t-shirt, read the book. :snooty:

From here the easiest way is to go to Brighton by train. It's a direct service, but takes nearly 2 hours.

I nearly drowned in Brighton. Never again! :ooer:

Why didn’t you stay in Devon? It’s lovely round there.
Lady Murasaki

Postby guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Guest wrote:
measurer wrote:Yes my dear. Halves on hotel room and to catch the flight, it's either a 7 hour overlay in airport or I book a hotel in Luton- cheap enough, just hate the fact I'll probably not sleep for fear I'll miss the flight in the morning, as Glasgow flight gets in around 10pm night before. Then travel to hotel, sleep, eat and then get bus back over to the airport for 5am. Better to have company, but it's not the first I have went myself. I usually just stay in the airport.

You're thinking of over-nighting in Luton??
Have you thought about asking JRA to take you on a tour of the local dineries and wineries - he's quite the expert on that kind of thing, don'tcha know? :yikes:

I hear he does cheap rooms too.

Postby jra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:Went to Silloth and looked at the sea. Pretty random I say.

Did the sea look back at you?

But, seriously, I do miss the seaside/coast at times to be honest.

Just stare at your avi.
Or get up off your lazy ass and travel to the coast.

I lived near the coast for nearly 21 years, south Devon. Seen it, done it, got the t-shirt, read the book. :snooty:

From here the easiest way is to go to Brighton by train. It's a direct service, but takes nearly 2 hours.

That depends on where you are living.

It was lovely when you were a kid/teenager in those days, outside of the larger towns, not so good then and now when you're an adult, especially out of tourist season.

For example.

Places like the Torbay area (Torquay, Brixham, Paignton) are like any other large towns. Same with Plymouth and Exeter. IMO.

Outside of those areas, the house prices are generally extortionate, over-run with tourists in the summer (particularly July and August), the roads are gridlocked (Devon has a poor road infrastructure) in tourist season, in winter many places are like ghost towns (e.g. there are many empty second homes), the public transport infrastructure is poor, with many places having infrequent train/bus services or none at all.

I'm used to London bus frequencies during the day weekdays (not so good in the evening, Sundays), a 24/7 train service (other than Sunday mornings) to/from London and a 24/7 coach service to/from London (even on Christmas Day).

I ended up in the south east because of IT work, as wages were so much lower in the south west at the time. South Devon was a great place to have your childhood back in the day, now it is more a good place to retire, if you have got lots of money and want a (relatively) quiet life and can stand the tourist season traffic.

Many parts of Devon have been spoilt due to their own success.
jra

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:15 pm

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:

It was lovely when you were a kid/teenager in those days, outside of the larger towns, not so good then and now when you're an adult, especially out of tourist season.

For example.

Places like the Torbay area (Torquay, Brixham, Paignton) are like any other large towns. Same with Plymouth and Exeter. IMO.

Outside of those areas, the house prices are generally extortionate, over-run with tourists in the summer (particularly July and August), the roads are gridlocked (Devon has a poor road infrastructure) in tourist season, in winter many places are like ghost towns (e.g. there are many empty second homes), the public transport infrastructure is poor, with many places having infrequent train/bus services or none at all.

I'm used to London bus frequencies during the day weekdays (not so good in the evening, Sundays), a 24/7 train service (other than Sunday mornings) to/from London and a 24/7 coach service to/from London (even on Christmas Day).

I ended up in the south east because of IT work, as wages were so much lower in the south west at the time. South Devon was a great place to have your childhood back in the day, now it is more a good place to retire, if you have got lots of money and want a (relatively) quiet life and can stand the tourist season traffic.

You don’t drive? I can’t imagine having to rely on public transport in most places outside the main cities.
You could always retire there, or Cornwall, even better. Lots of fishing too! :Wiiiine!:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Rockstar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote: Lots of fishing too! :Wiiiine!:

Catfishing? :leer: :pmsl:
Rockstar

Postby jra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Rockstar wrote:

Trolling, what you're doing now, is also a fishing term, where you use a lure or eel to catch fish.
jra

Postby Rockstar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

jra wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Trolling, what you're doing now, is also a fishing term, where you use a lure or eel to catch fish.

Lure is a crazy name for a stripper... :ooer:
Rockstar

Postby HobbitFeet » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

I find eels quite nasty little creatures
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

jra wrote:

For example.

Torbay is separate towns linked by A roads, you might as well include Newton Abbot in the mix. Brixham is split between cow town and fish town and parts of it aren't ven in the Torbay constituency, it's mainly retirees, trawlermen and out of work youths, it's half the distance and twice the road time to Exeter for me. Paignton has industry and needles on the sandy beaches, the main drag is dead off season and there is a Plymouth Uni campus there. Torquay gets busier during the season but the main streets are shit, a lot of people commute to work. It's also a magnet for stag and hen parties.

Plymouth? Matelots, prostitutes and mental nights out. Exeter is slower and classier but all in all a really nice city.

You're from the Salcombe area IIRC?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:

For example.

You don’t drive? I can’t imagine having to rely on public transport in most places outside the main cities.
You could always retire there, or Cornwall, even better. Lots of fishing too! :Wiiiine!:

It may be a possible retirement, if I come into some serious money aka an inheritance. Sea fishing, done it. But, I wouldn't mind catching some bass or larger flatfish, e.g. Turbot, Brill.

I don't need to drive, as local public transport is good enough mostly, car parking is difficult locally, there is road congestion, cars are expensive to run and liable to be damaged/stolen or even set on fire around here. But, I can walk into the town centre 15-20 mins max, all taxis run 24/7 (if I really need one).

Whereas in south Devon a decent size house, where I want to live, is going to cost you upwards of least £400k, the bus service is going to be at best hourly any time (services ending early), let alone Sundays or late evenings.

And no. Sorry. Nobody is going to tell me Cornwall is a better place to live than Cornwall overall. Reasons being. The coastal scenery in Devon is on a par with Cornwall in many places. Cornwall has even worse public transport links than Devon IMO. Dartmouth is in Devon (big plus). Devon has two national parks, i.e. Dartmoor and Exmoor, rather than also ran Bodmin Moor (which isn't a national park anyway), so Devon inland scores better than Cornwall.
jra

Postby jra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:

For example.

Torbay is separate towns linked by A roads, you might as well include Newton Abbot in the mix. Brixham is split between cow town and fish town and parts of it aren't ven in the Torbay constituency, it's mainly retirees, trawlermen and out of work youths, it's half the distance and twice the road time to Exeter for me. Paignton has industry and needles on the sandy beaches, the main drag is dead off season and there is a Plymouth Uni campus there. Torquay gets busier during the season but the main streets are shit, a lot of people commute to work. It's also a magnet for stag and hen parties.

Plymouth? Matelots, prostitutes and mental nights out. Exeter is slower and classier but all in all a really nice city.

You're from the Salcombe area IIRC?

Well remembered stooo.
jra

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive