Medicinal Cannabis In The UK

A right load of bollocks...

Medicinal Cannabis In The UK

Postby Stooo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:56 pm

A severely epileptic boy has been given back medicinal cannabis oil that was confiscated from his mother at customs, the home secretary has said.

Billy Caldwell, 12, received the oil after doctors made clear it was a "medical emergency", Sajid Javid said.

Billy's mother, Charlotte Caldwell, from County Tyrone, said they had "achieved the impossible" but called for the oil to be freely available.

Billy began using cannabis oil in 2016 to control his seizures.

The cannabis oil, which contains a substance called Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is illegal in the UK but available elsewhere.

Billy's most recent supply - which Ms Caldwell had tried to bring into the UK from Canada - was confiscated at Heathrow Airport on Monday and he was admitted to hospital before Mr Javid said it would be returned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44507135

When you dial in the fact that the Drugs Minister's husband is head of British Sugar (a company that provides medicinal cannabis to the rest of the world) and that the Prime Minister's husband is a major financier to that company, it draws into doubt as to whether this product should not be offered to suffering people in it's place of origin.

Is this the end of the wedge, how long before we have Amsterdam style coffee shops in our high (lol) streets?
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: Medicinal Cannabis In The UK

Postby McAz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Not sure about the coffee shops - but with many US states (and some European countries) decriminalising or legalising it is becoming increasingly difficult to hold back the tide. And in fact, the current anti-cannabis laws are only really used as a "sus law" as evidenced by the overwhelming number of cannabis "criminals" simply being ticketed.
McAz

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:04 pm

I was talking to my friend about this last night. And it’s about fucking time.
NastyNickers

Postby Cleopatra » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:13 pm

McAz wrote:Not sure about the coffee shops - but with many US states (and some European countries) decriminalising or legalising it is becoming increasingly difficult to hold back the tide. And in fact, the current anti-cannabis laws are only really used as a "sus law" as evidenced by the overwhelming number of cannabis "criminals" simply being ticketed.

The "cannabis" sold on the streets today has no resemblance to the original, natural stuff. It is full of crap and amphetamines etc. It can and does, do serious damage, especially to youngsters.
Cleopatra

Postby McAz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
McAz wrote:Not sure about the coffee shops - but with many US states (and some European countries) decriminalising or legalising it is becoming increasingly difficult to hold back the tide. And in fact, the current anti-cannabis laws are only really used as a "sus law" as evidenced by the overwhelming number of cannabis "criminals" simply being ticketed.

The "cannabis" sold on the streets today has no resemblance to the original, natural stuff. It is full of crap and amphetamines etc. It can and does, do serious damage, especially to youngsters.

I've smoked it for almost half a century - the stuff I buy is little different than it was, and it certainly contains no speed. But regardless, legalising means greater purity and safer recreational drugs by removing criminals from the equation.
McAz

Postby Cleopatra » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:24 pm

McAz wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:

I've smoked it for almost half a century - the stuff I buy is little different than it was, and it certainly contains no speed. But regardless, legalising means greater purity and safer recreational drugs by removing criminals from the equation.

You must have a good supplier :mrgreen: Seriously, drug testing/safe spaces should be next on the list to help protect youngsters. Hospitals are full of them every weekend and some end up in the morgue. Just say No and if you cant, at least be sure of what you are ingesting.
Cleopatra

Postby Goodwife » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Just logged in purely to post on this thread. I meant to start one the other week and Rollup was going to give me some info on it.

I knind of saw the headline in the paper yesterday but didn't read the story (still haven't)

But surely he should only be given medicine that has evidence it works.

Its all good and well people giving/taking illegal drugs, it might help relieve some syptoms but without medical trials who knows what other damage it is doing.

I am in two minds as to whether I agree with this or not. i think the government are wrong to allow illegal drugs to be given back. If they make an allowance for one then they have to make an allowance for all which makes a mockery of it being ilegal
Goodwife

Postby Dean » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Goodwife wrote:Just logged in purely to post on this thread. I meant to start one the other week and Rollup was going to give me some info on it.

I knind of saw the headline in the paper yesterday but didn't read the story (still haven't)

Its all good and well people giving/taking illegal drugs, it might help relieve some syptoms but without medical trials who knows what other damage it is doing.

I am in two minds as to whether I agree with this or not. i think the government are wrong to allow illegal drugs to be given back. If they make an allowance for one then they have to make an allowance for all which makes a mockery of it being ilegal

Let’s just let the poor kid die then, eh? :off head:
Dean

Postby Stooo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Goodwife wrote:Just logged in purely to post on this thread. I meant to start one the other week and Rollup was going to give me some info on it.

I understand that his GP made the request.

What do you see as a problem with legalisation?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
McAz wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:

You must have a good supplier :mrgreen: Seriously, drug testing/safe spaces should be next on the list to help protect youngsters. Hospitals are full of them every weekend and some end up in the morgue. Just say No and if you cant, at least be sure of what you are ingesting.

Imagine that alcohol was unregulated and in the hands of criminal gangs - imagine how much worse the alcohol problem (and those allied to it) would be. Well, that's the situation with other recreational drugs. Legalising and regulation of drugs is the only way forward because no-one has yet found a way to persuade people not to get off their face. Drugs are fun for the overwhelming majority of people who use them.
McAz

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:38 pm

It was legally prescribed to the boy in Canada. There have been clinical trials. It’s far less damaging than opioids and such.
It has been allowed anyway on the advice of top clinicians.

It’s ridiculous that it is illegal still in this country.
NastyNickers

Postby Goodwife » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Stooo wrote:

Well currently its illegal. Now thehome secretary has allowed confiscated drugs to be given back.

The next time someone has the same drugs conviscated they have a case for them to be given back.

The government have surely now put them in a situation where they are going to have to make it a legal drug but have done so before proper testing can be done.
Goodwife

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Goodwife wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Well currently its illegal. Now thehome secretary has allowed confiscated drugs to be given back.

The next time someone has the same drugs conviscated they have a case for them to be given back.

The government have surely now put them in a situation where they are going to have to make it a legal drug but have done so before proper testing can be done.

The little boy is in a serious condition in hospital after repeated seizures. Unless equally serious, I doubt they are going to be handing back confiscated cannabis products willy nilly.
NastyNickers

Postby Goodwife » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 pm

NastyNickers wrote:

It was legally prescribed to the boy in Canada. There have been clinical trials. It’s far less damaging than opioids and such.
It has been allowed anyway on the advice of top clinicians.

It’s ridiculous that it is illegal still in this country.

Is there not a woman in Saudi or somewhere in prison because she took into the country precibed and legal drugs into another country that were ilegal there?

Same difference not all drugs are legal in all countries.
Goodwife

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 pm

McAz wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:
McAz wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:

Imagine that alcohol was unregulated and in the hands of criminal gangs - imagine how much worse the alcohol problem (and those allied to it) would be. Well, that's the situation with other recreational drugs. Legalising and regulation of drugs is the only way forward because no-one has yet found a way to persuade people not to get off their face. Drugs are fun for the overwhelming majority of people who use them.

I’m pretty sure you can go get your drugs tested for purity and shit at festivals these days.

We’re heading in the right direction. It’s just frustratingly slow.
NastyNickers

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms