Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

A right load of bollocks...

Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:09 am

Did anyone stop to observe the 1 minute silence on Thursday 14th June called to commemorate the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire?

I didn't and I don't know anyone who did. :dunno:

Yet there are calls for this to be remembered every year with the same reverence usually reserved for 'national disasters' or the casualties of wars fought for our country.

Of course this was a dreadful event and the loss of life was appallingly high for a peace time incident, those who were close to it will always remember but does that mean everyone needs reminding?

I think the whole affair has been milked until it's dry now, a year on and it's had it's day, move on like we've always done in the past, personally I'm sick of hearing about it now.
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35973
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am

Its lefties who wish to politisize the agony of victims for gain.

Vulgar imo.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:36 am

Most of them were illegal immigrants anyway
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby banana chewits » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 am

it's a grey area, marking the anniversary every year. aberfan was a bigger disaster wrt lives lost & most of them were children, but that's rarely mentioned unless it's a major anniversary like the 50th in 2016.

grenfell could be the 'lest we forget' of inadequate social housing maintenance, so you could argue it ought to be remembered every year for that reason.
User avatar
banana chewits
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 12:55 am

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:22 am

banana chewits wrote:it's a grey area, marking the anniversary every year. aberfan was a bigger disaster wrt lives lost & most of them were children, but that's rarely mentioned unless it's a major anniversary like the 50th in 2016.

grenfell could be the 'lest we forget' of inadequate social housing maintenance, so you could argue it ought to be remembered every year for that reason.


Aberfan was a truly 'national' disaster, 116 British children and 28 British adults swallowed up by a slurry mountain, yet as you say, forgotten unless it's a major anniversary - even then, it's never been a day of 'national' mourning.

What did happen though as a consequence was, it became the catalyst for the first written 'Health & Safety' laws which this country never had before then and all other Health & Safety acts since have come about because of that single national disaster, yet still it is largely forgotten.
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35973
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 am

In contrast, if you look at the list of victims of the Grenfell Tower fire, you could just as well be looking at the passenger manifest of a refugee boat which sank somehwere in the Med.

We don't hold vigils and have outpourings of national grief for those unfortunates, so why do some people think we should feel any different because they happened to have been living in a Tower block in London?

Grenfell was a tragic accident, one which could have happened anywhere - we were all suitably horrified at the time do we need to keep pouring salt on the wounds, which if we are honest is being done now mainly for political and financial reasons?
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35973
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Dimples » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40 am

I do think it's appropriate to mark the one year anniversary of such an appalling event - and to do so in a significant and meaningful manner. I think in subsequent years though, it's probably more fitting to confine such memorialisation to a more local audience, if they wish to do so.

We don't tend to go in for a designated period of x days of national mourning after a major tragedy, as happens in a lot of other countries though.
User avatar
Dimples
 
Posts: 13551
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 am
Location: Under his eye

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:42 am

Dimples wrote:I do think it's appropriate to mark the one year anniversary of such an appalling event - and to do so in a significant and meaningful manner. I think in subsequent years though, it's probably more fitting to confine such memorialisation to a more local audience, if they wish to do so.

We don't tend to go in for a designated period of x days of national mourning after a major tragedy, as happens in a lot of other countries though.


Did you stand quietly in thought for a minute on Thursday?
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35973
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Dimples » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:44 am

Trapper John wrote:In contrast, if you look at the list of victims of the Grenfell Tower fire, you could just as well be looking at the passenger manifest of a refugee boat which sank somehwere in the Med.

We don't hold vigils and have outpourings of national grief for those unfortunates, so why do some people think we should feel any different because they happened to have been living in a Tower block in London?

Grenfell was a tragic accident, one which could have happened anywhere - we were all suitably horrified at the time do we need to keep pouring salt on the wounds, which if we are honest is being done now mainly for political and financial reasons?


It doesn't matter. The unnecessary losses of their lives are just as significant. The marking of the loss of the lives at Grenfell takes place because they took place in British soil and presumably as some responsibility for their fate has to be borne by this country - albeit at a local level.
User avatar
Dimples
 
Posts: 13551
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 am
Location: Under his eye

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Dimples » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:51 am

Trapper John wrote:
Dimples wrote:I do think it's appropriate to mark the one year anniversary of such an appalling event - and to do so in a significant and meaningful manner. I think in subsequent years though, it's probably more fitting to confine such memorialisation to a more local audience, if they wish to do so.

We don't tend to go in for a designated period of x days of national mourning after a major tragedy, as happens in a lot of other countries though.


Did you stand quietly in thought for a minute on Thursday?


Well, I was here at home on my own so yes, I suppose I did - although I wasn't standing. I always have a bit of a reflective spell on 14 Jun anyway as it is the anniversary of my own father's death - now 16 years ago.

If I had been out and about in a public place where the minute's silence was being observed, then I would have stopped and participated, as I usually do. It does no harm.
User avatar
Dimples
 
Posts: 13551
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 am
Location: Under his eye

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 am

Dimples wrote:
Trapper John wrote:In contrast, if you look at the list of victims of the Grenfell Tower fire, you could just as well be looking at the passenger manifest of a refugee boat which sank somehwere in the Med.

We don't hold vigils and have outpourings of national grief for those unfortunates, so why do some people think we should feel any different because they happened to have been living in a Tower block in London?

Grenfell was a tragic accident, one which could have happened anywhere - we were all suitably horrified at the time do we need to keep pouring salt on the wounds, which if we are honest is being done now mainly for political and financial reasons?


It doesn't matter. The unnecessary losses of their lives are just as significant. The marking of the loss of the lives at Grenfell takes place because they took place in British soil and presumably as some responsibility for their fate has to be borne by this country - albeit at a local level.


Politicians should shoulder the blame for both types of tragedy, firstly for allowing the illusion to persist that this and other countries welcome immigrants and asylum seekers so they set out on the path they do and secondly, for allowing such huge quanitities of them to enter the country where there is no alternative but to house them in sub-standard properties.

Personally, I feel no more empathy for the victims and relatives of Grenfell than I would for anyone I didn't know personally and I suspect if most people were honest with themselves, neither do they. I certainly don't feel any guilt or have any thought of responsibilty for their deaths because they happened to be living in my country when they died.

I do however feel a great deal of resentment that public funds which I contribute to are being used to salve the consciences of politicians.
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35973
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:15 am

Dimples wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Dimples wrote:I do think it's appropriate to mark the one year anniversary of such an appalling event - and to do so in a significant and meaningful manner. I think in subsequent years though, it's probably more fitting to confine such memorialisation to a more local audience, if they wish to do so.

We don't tend to go in for a designated period of x days of national mourning after a major tragedy, as happens in a lot of other countries though.


Did you stand quietly in thought for a minute on Thursday?


Well, I was here at home on my own so yes, I suppose I did - although I wasn't standing. I always have a bit of a reflective spell on 14 Jun anyway as it is the anniversary of my own father's death - now 16 years ago.

If I had been out and about in a public place where the minute's silence was being observed, then I would have stopped and participated, as I usually do. It does no harm.


So you didn't specifically for the Grenfell victims, neither did I and I suspect we are not alone, despite what the media and interested parties would have us believe.
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35973
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Dimples » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am

Trapper John wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Dimples wrote:I do think it's appropriate to mark the one year anniversary of such an appalling event - and to do so in a significant and meaningful manner. I think in subsequent years though, it's probably more fitting to confine such memorialisation to a more local audience, if they wish to do so.

We don't tend to go in for a designated period of x days of national mourning after a major tragedy, as happens in a lot of other countries though.


Did you stand quietly in thought for a minute on Thursday?


Well, I was here at home on my own so yes, I suppose I did - although I wasn't standing. I always have a bit of a reflective spell on 14 Jun anyway as it is the anniversary of my own father's death - now 16 years ago.

If I had been out and about in a public place where the minute's silence was being observed, then I would have stopped and participated, as I usually do. It does no harm.


So you didn't specifically for the Grenfell victims, neither did I and I suspect we are not alone, despite what the media and interested parties would have us believe.


Well, I didn't actually remember that it had been scheduled for mid-day but it would be wrong to suggest that I had not thought about the Grenfell victims that day - not least because their fate is now, for me, forever linked to the loss of my own Dad. Like I say, if I had been in a place where the silence had been observed, I would certainly have done so too. Why would I not?
User avatar
Dimples
 
Posts: 13551
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 am
Location: Under his eye

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Rockstar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Dimples wrote: I always have a bit of a reflective spell on 14 Jun anyway as it is the anniversary of my own father's death - now 16 years ago.



((((((((Dimples))))))))))
User avatar
Rockstar
 
Posts: 12447
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Are these annual pity party's going to be part of the UK calendar for evermore now?
User avatar
Guest
 

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 29 guests