Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Over Egging the 'National Disaster' Pudding?

Postby Stooo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Trapper John wrote:Did anyone stop to observe the 1 minute silence on Thursday 14th June called to commemorate the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire?

I didn't and I don't know anyone who did. :dunno:

Yet there are calls for this to be remembered every year with the same reverence usually reserved for 'national disasters' or the casualties of wars fought for our country.

Of course this was a dreadful event and the loss of life was appallingly high for a peace time incident, those who were close to it will always remember but does that mean everyone needs reminding?

I think the whole affair has been milked until it's dry now, a year on and it's had it's day, move on like we've always done in the past, personally I'm sick of hearing about it now.

Yeah I did, life carried on around me though but that's what happens when you listen to LBC. It's a year on and still families directly affected are not housed properly and that's bad.

However, it's not had a huge impact on the rest of the country other than affirm the affect of Thatcher's 'bonfire on regulation' (pun not intended). You're not going to get a minutes silence every year and it will probably be observed by those directly concerned in prayer vigils and small meetings in years to come.

Let them get on with it.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Punk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Stooo wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Did anyone stop to observe the 1 minute silence on Thursday 14th June called to commemorate the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire?

Yet there are calls for this to be remembered every year with the same reverence usually reserved for 'national disasters' or the casualties of wars fought for our country.

Of course this was a dreadful event and the loss of life was appallingly high for a peace time incident, those who were close to it will always remember but does that mean everyone needs reminding?

I think the whole affair has been milked until it's dry now, a year on and it's had it's day, move on like we've always done in the past, personally I'm sick of hearing about it now.

Yeah I did, life carried on around me though but that's what happens when you listen to LBC. It's a year on and still families directly affected are not housed properly and that's bad.

However, it's not had a huge impact on the rest of the country other than affirm the affect of Thatcher's 'bonfire on regulation' (pun not intended). You're not going to get a minutes silence every year and it will probably be observed by those directly concerned in prayer vigils and small meetings in years to come.

Let them get on with it.

There was a similar minutes silence a year after the Kings Cross fire. :bawlin:
Punk

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Some tragedies suit the liberal establishment agenda and some they'd rather forget as quickly as possible.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby McAz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Some tragedies suit the liberal establishment agenda and some they'd rather forget as quickly as possible.

I would have thought burning people alive was cross-party tbh. :dunno:
McAz

Postby Punk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Some tragedies suit the liberal establishment agenda and some they'd rather forget as quickly as possible.

Our establishment is Right Wing Conservative. How Far Right are you if you think Conservatives are Liberal?
Punk

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Punk wrote:

Our establishment is Right Wing Conservative. How Far Right are you if you think Conservatives are Liberal?

Have to disagree on that one.

And on who the establishment are.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby McAz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm

The Establishment:

"The Establishment generally denotes a dominant group or elite that holds power or authority in a nation or organisation." (Wiki)
McAz

Postby BUDGIE » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:24 pm

We had a minutes silence for 9/11 for years. I'm pretty sure at work we did it for 5 years on the trot, maybe more. And on the 10th anniversary definitely.

I tended to not want to commemorate it after thousands of innocent Afghanis and Iraqis were slaughtered in the aftermath over the years. Wholesale murder for oil.

Why shouldn't Grenfell be commemorated? It was a tragedy. Not a terrorist act and people died horribly.
BUDGIE
What the fuck?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Punk wrote:

Have to disagree on that one.

And on who the establishment are.

Who do you think they are then?

Lizards? :gigglesnshit:

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:08 pm

McAz wrote:

It's a KKK thing, surely....?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:21 pm

You sound like you might be into conspiracy theories? :dunno:

Are you a David Icke devotee? :off head:

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 pm

The establishment don't get elected.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:

....Or something to do with witchcraft :ooer:

Postby McAz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:

If it had been Parliament burned alive we would have an annual anniversary for centuries...

...oh wait, we do just for one feeble attempt.
McAz

Postby Dean » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:29 pm

Penny for the guy!
Dean

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms