Take the Political Compass test

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby McAz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:75% are happy with zero hours contracts because they're mainly students who want flexibility.


No they are not.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 31341
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby Punk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Guest wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:25.3% of people on a zero-hours contract want more hours.

Where's the lie?

That's a quater not earning enough to live on. Which is pretty disgusting. Meanwhile someone is getting rich from their slogging

Do you agree that everyone should all be on a living wage for the work they do?


I'm sure there are plenty of people working part-time who are not on zero hours contracts who want more hours as well though.

You've have to survey them and see how many of them want more hours.

75% are happy with zero hours contracts because they're mainly students who want flexibility.


What a crock. Maybe 75% of that survey but certainly none of the people on zero hours I know, want to be on zero hours at all. Seriously, where do you get your information from? :shake head:
User avatar
Punk
 
Posts: 6888
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Upper Sydenham

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby McAz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Punk wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Guest wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:25.3% of people on a zero-hours contract want more hours.

Where's the lie?

That's a quater not earning enough to live on. Which is pretty disgusting. Meanwhile someone is getting rich from their slogging

Do you agree that everyone should all be on a living wage for the work they do?


I'm sure there are plenty of people working part-time who are not on zero hours contracts who want more hours as well though.

You've have to survey them and see how many of them want more hours.

75% are happy with zero hours contracts because they're mainly students who want flexibility.


What a crock. Maybe 75% of that survey but certainly none of the people on zero hours I know, want to be on zero hours at all. Seriously, where do you get your information from? :shake head:


A survey commissioned by the TUC (the only large-scale survey of workers on such contracts that I'm aware of) put the figure of those who were content with zero hours contracts at 25%.
Last edited by McAz on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 31341
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby Punk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 pm

McAz wrote:
Punk wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Guest wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:25.3% of people on a zero-hours contract want more hours.

Where's the lie?

That's a quater not earning enough to live on. Which is pretty disgusting. Meanwhile someone is getting rich from their slogging

Do you agree that everyone should all be on a living wage for the work they do?


I'm sure there are plenty of people working part-time who are not on zero hours contracts who want more hours as well though.

You've have to survey them and see how many of them want more hours.

75% are happy with zero hours contracts because they're mainly students who want flexibility.


What a crock. Maybe 75% of that survey but certainly none of the people on zero hours I know, want to be on zero hours at all. Seriously, where do you get your information from? :shake head:


A large survey commissioned by the TUC (the only survey of workers on such contract that I'm aware of) put the figure who were content with zero hours contracts at 25%.


I'm sure that it works in some cases for some people and some companies but for the vast majority it is a disaster to be mandatorily placed on a zero hours contract.
User avatar
Punk
 
Posts: 6888
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Upper Sydenham

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby McAz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Punk wrote:
McAz wrote:A large survey commissioned by the TUC (the only survey of workers on such contract that I'm aware of) put the figure who were content with zero hours contracts at 25%.


I'm sure that it works in some cases for some people and some companies but for the vast majority it is a disaster to be mandatorily placed on a zero hours contract.


The 25% is probably those who traditionally prefer casual work - and it should be borne in mind that 18% of people on such contracts are in full-time education (Ray's point, though wildly inaccurate). The fact remains that three-quarters of the 1 million or so on ZHCs are far from happy.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 31341
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am


Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby Punk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/articles/contractsthatdonotguaranteeaminimumnumberofhours/april2018


What's the first word of the summary? I though you didn't believe anything the ONS published. :whistle: Out of a maximum 40,000 people surveyed, in other words like all polls this is only relevant to those surveyed. :thumbsup:
User avatar
Punk
 
Posts: 6888
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Upper Sydenham

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby Cobs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Did this last time around, it looks different.
They say you shouldn't get your feet measured in the afternoon.
Image
User avatar
Cobs
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby jra » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:24 am

Punk wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Guest wrote:
....Probably the Tory bible of ignorance and hate, the Daily Mail or the Sun.

The scum of the earth subscribe to that, the Tory supporters and right wing who are devoid of any empathy for others, selfish cunts who only care about themselves.

Change is coming and that will wipe the smile off their self serving mugs.

:shoot:


Well at least you didn't call it the Daily Fail or Daily Heil I'll give you that but no I don't read that as I'm not really interested in celebrity gossip.

Their readership is mainly middle-class women.

Don't read any paper actually, can get the news easy enough on my phone/ laptop.

I know you lot want to go back to the 70s but it's 2018 dude, no way back.


Ahhh 1978 when inflation was at its lowest for a decade the EEC's happiness rating was at its highest, no Neo-Liberalism, no Thatcher, no 2 million unemployed,such a disaster for the country. :cronos:

As for my rent, in London I pay £120 a week for a 3 bed flat. :thumbsup:


1978-79 was a low point in UK political history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_Discontent
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13245
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Take the Political Compass test

Postby Punk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:38 am

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... discontent

Letters (22 April) invoking the bogey of "union power" to justify Thatcherite scorched-earth policies, derive from highly selective social memories, largely created by tendentious histories and media depictions. Academic research has shown there was no monolithic union power that inflicted the "winter of discontent" on a victimised British population. The industrial actions were largely initiated by local and rank-and-file unionists, frustrated with pay restraint policies that had reduced real wages by 13% between 1975 and 1978. The TUC and other much-maligned union "barons" tried to restrain grassroots actions.

The (separate) tanker and delivery drivers' strikes may have been perceived as besieging a reader's community in Stoke, but impacts were actually patchy and temporary. West Midlands TGWU regional officials kept deliveries there going for much of the strike. The official stoppage lasted just three weeks and affected only around 20% of the haulage industry, with negligible national impacts on foodstuffs and daily necessities. The image of callous local authority gravediggers' strikes came from unofficial actions occurring only in Liverpool and Tameside for just two weeks. (Gravediggers in the free-enterprise heaven of 1990s Chicago went on strike for six weeks.)


As former Fleet Street editor Derek Jameson later recalled of press coverage of the "crisis", "we pulled every dirty trick in the book; we made it look like it was general, universal and eternal, when it was in reality scattered, here and there, and no great problem".
Dr Bryn Jones
University of Bath

Plus the winter was at the end of the year.... Plus I suggest you read the most recent book on the subject by Tara Lopez, who dissects every myth that the tax avoiding Conservative media published. :whistle:
User avatar
Punk
 
Posts: 6888
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Upper Sydenham

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests