Scorchio!!

A right load of bollocks...

Scorchio!!

Postby measurer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:52 pm

There has been a warning issued to keep in the shade and hydrated, and not to sit in the sun between 11am - 3pm. Unfortunately, as the sun seldom shows itself or is this hot, people will get sunburnt.

They ask that people don't drink in it and if they do so, to do it moderately. Also giving advice on how to sleep in a heatwave! I kid you not! lol Have we really become so dumbed down that we need issued warnings about sitting in the sun?

Anyway, who's having the bbq???? :twirl: :hap:
measurer

Re: Scorchio!!

Postby banana chewits » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:55 pm

i saw a bald man totally sunburnt except for where his wide arm sunglasses had been.
banana chewits

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Pretty much spent most of yesterday at a World Cup BBQ. Managed to watch all 3 games, the kids all entertained themselves with their friends and water balloons so minimal childcare was involved, the OHs buggered off inside to have a natter after the England match and there was enough food and drink to feed a small army.

It was amaze. The UK is one of the greatest places to be when the sun shines.
Avon Barksdale

Postby measurer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:12 pm

I say that about Scotland all the time. Beauty on our doorsteps. People often ask me "Where do you see the things you photograph"? I tell them to open their eyes. Scotland would do well with overseas visitors if we could guarantee them this kind of weather, but unfortunately we need the rain to make it so green and lush, but a few weeks of this won't harm, but the midge count will be high as we had so much rain last weekend.
I love around the Lake District and Cotswolds in this weather. We do indeed live in a beautiful land.
measurer

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:18 pm

measurer wrote:I say that about Scotland all the time. Beauty on our doorsteps. People often ask me "Where do you see the things you photograph"? I tell them to open their eyes. Scotland would do well with overseas visitors if we could guarantee them this kind of weather, but unfortunately we need the rain to make it so green and lush, but a few weeks of this won't harm, but the midge count will be high as we had so much rain last weekend.
I love around the Lake District and Cotswolds in this weather. We do indeed live in a beautiful land.

I'm sure Scotland was rated as the most beautiful place in the entire world in a recent travel survey, despite the weather.

When I have friends and relatives come from overseas they all make a beeline to Scotland if they can. I'm like "why?" and they look at me as if I'm nuts.

You're right that we can take for granted just what we have here.
Avon Barksdale

Postby MG2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 pm

You're both right we do live in a beautiful country and I do try to appreciate how lucky I am most of the time.

This weather is incredible, just what I wanted. I'm reading stuff online, then pottering around the garden, which is full of birds. Then popping back in if I get too warm. I will nip to the beach later and watch the sun set there.

And I've got a curry on the go :mrgreen:
MG2

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:28 pm

MG2 wrote:You're both right we do live in a beautiful country and I do try to appreciate how lucky I am most of the time.

This weather is incredible, just what I wanted. I'm reading stuff online, then pottering around the garden, which is full of birds. Then popping back in if I get too warm. I will nip to the beach later and watch the sun set there.

Sounds like a perfect day.

Any day involving eating a curry is perfect.
Avon Barksdale

Postby measurer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Yes, they tend to always want to visit "EdinBORO". Though the castle and old streets are nice, it's a tourist trap, plus most Scots will tell you Edinburgh is up it's own arse - they are snobby. Glasgow is stating to make a comeback, and is a friendlier place to visit, plus you won't get tourist prices as much.
If I were a tourist here, I'd do the boat sailing through all the lovely islands, such as Iona and Skye. The beaches there are white and golden sands. I best stop, or I'll be booking us into a hotel in all this good weather!
measurer

Postby MG2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
MG2 wrote:You're both right we do live in a beautiful country and I do try to appreciate how lucky I am most of the time.

Sounds like a perfect day.

Any day involving eating a curry is perfect.

Absolutely but a good BBQ is hard to beat too.

@Mes you are so selling your country. I've always fancied Edinburgh to be honest, the history and quaintness appeal but better in winter maybe? But now the other places also. My Niece wants to go to Glasgow Uni to study.
MG2

Postby measurer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Our education is second to none, so she would be making a wise choice. Glasgow Uni is beautiful. I have photos somewhere.... I am equidistant between both Glasgow and Edinburgh, but because of the trams there in Edinburgh, it isn't easy to navigate these days, and is better to travel to by train. No such worries in Glasgow - I can always get parked, though like everywhere you have to check the charges.
If you ever come up here, do the sail from Gourock up to Oban, visiting some of the isles on your way up and back. I'd say June and May are the best months up here, but I did go to Edinburgh at Christmas, and it is lovely to see, but then again, so is Glasgow and it's lights. Edinburgh will have the Fest on soon - always big for the tourists, and the Military Tattoo as well.

Today I had a little run up to Lanark - where Wallace's wife came from and he lived. I went to the loch there. So gorgeous. I have added a picture in.
Attachments
36189335_10214230341085712_7466350462803902464_n.jpg
measurer

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Is it wrong that when you said Wallace I automatically thought of Wallace & Gromit
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby measurer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Hobbit wrote:Is it wrong that when you said Wallace I automatically thought of Wallace & Gromit

Eh, YES!! :slap:

:gigglesnshit:
measurer

Postby MG2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:56 pm

measurer wrote:Our education is second to none, so she would be making a wise choice. Glasgow Uni is beautiful. I have photos somewhere.... I am equidistant between both Glasgow and Edinburgh, but because of the trams there in Edinburgh, it isn't easy to navigate these days, and is better to travel to by train. No such worries in Glasgow - I can always get parked, though like everywhere you have to check the charges.
If you ever come up here, do the sail from Gourock up to Oban, visiting some of the isles on your way up and back. I'd say June and May are the best months up here, but I did go to Edinburgh at Christmas, and it is lovely to see, but then again, so is Glasgow and it's lights. Edinburgh will have the Fest on soon - always big for the tourists, and the Military Tattoo as well.

Today I had a little run up to Lanark - where Wallace's wife came from and he lived. I went to the loch there. So gorgeous. I have added a picture in.

I've seen some pics of the uni and it looks wonderful. I've also fancied seeing Arran a friend went there and loved it. And I will make a note of that trip. If she does get in I will be visiting for sure.

Hands up as another who thought of Wallace and Gromit. Oh the shame.
MG2

Postby measurer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:18 pm

I can see I shall have to edit it to WILLIAM WALLACE! pmsl
measurer

Postby dis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm

It’s lovely here today, braw and warm. I hope the weather lasts until the weekend, we are going to Pitlochry for a few nights.

I’ve had to give the dog a short hairdo, she was too hot.
dis

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms