The Science And Nature Thread #2

A right load of bollocks...

Re: The Science And Nature Thread #2

Postby MG2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Vam wrote:
Hobbit wrote:I've got some lovely butterfly pics from when the natural history museum had their butterfly exhibit outside a few years ago, I'll try to post them later

:smilin: That's where I got married, back in the days Dippy was in the main hall. The place was done up similar to this - except Dippy was all lit up and had flowers around his head and up his bum :gigglesnshit:

I didn't realise they did weddings. I've visited a good few times, love the place but what a fabulous venue.
MG2

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:08 pm

that is amazing Vam
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 pm

It sure was memorable :wink:

When we were receiving the guests, we had a bloke in a big 7-foot latex dino costume standing next to us. He mostly quietly just stood there, looking like a for real exhibit - Keyser would have been well impressed.

But every now and again, he'd suddenly surprise some guests by leaning across to try and "shake hands"! Seriously shocked faces all round.... :pmsl:
Vam

Postby Keyser » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Wow sounds wonderful Vam. :cuppaT:

How our brain rewires itself after amputation, a beautiful little animation of what goes on in our minds during depression and (incredibly) solar-powered nudibranchs.

https://www.seeker.com/videos/health/ar ... amputation

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/vide ... epression/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... line-news/

Keyser

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Vam wrote:It sure was memorable :wink:

When we were receiving the guests, we had a bloke in a big 7-foot latex dino costume standing next to us. He mostly quietly just stood there, looking like a for real exhibit - Keyser would have been well impressed.

But every now and again, he'd suddenly surprise some guests by leaning across to try and "shake hands"! Seriously shocked faces all round.... :pmsl:

I was going to get married in a really old gothic church, with my gargoyle fascination fully sated
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:07 pm

The super-ant Dinomyrmex gigas (formerly Camponotus gigas).

https://entomologysingapore.wordpress.c ... east-asia/

The incredible camouflage of the Pygmy seahorse.

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/oceans/o ... -seahorse/

Lingwulong shenqi.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... eontology/

Keyser

Postby Nucks » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:32 pm

My step-son just introduced me to this channel, informative but also funny/rude. :gigglesnshit:

Nucks

Postby LordRaven » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Lake(s) on Mars? How fantastic! If proven to be correct...
Researchers have found evidence of an existing body of liquid water on Mars.

What they believe to be a lake sits under the planet's south polar ice cap, and is about 20km (12 miles) across.

Previous research found possible signs of intermittent liquid water flowing on the martian surface, but this is the first sign of a persistent body of water on the planet in the present day.

Lake beds like those explored by Nasa's Curiosity rover show water was present on the surface of Mars in the past.

However, the planet's climate has since cooled due to its thin atmosphere, leaving most of its water locked up in ice.

The result is exciting because scientists have long searched for signs of present-day liquid water on Mars, but these have come up empty or yielded ambiguous findings. It will also interest those studying the possibilities for life beyond Earth - though it does not yet raise the stakes in the search for biology.

The discovery was made using Marsis, a radar instrument on board the European Space Agency's (Esa) Mars Express orbiter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44952710
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:03 pm

MG2 wrote:
Vam wrote:
Hobbit wrote:I've got some lovely butterfly pics from when the natural history museum had their butterfly exhibit outside a few years ago, I'll try to post them later

:smilin: That's where I got married, back in the days Dippy was in the main hall. The place was done up similar to this - except Dippy was all lit up and had flowers around his head and up his bum :gigglesnshit:

I didn't realise they did weddings. I've visited a good few times, love the place but what a fabulous venue.

My favourite building in London, and it it's always fantastic to walk around spending hours looking at all the exhibits.

But have a wedding there??? That must have been fanbloodytastic!!!
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:54 am

LordRaven wrote:Lake(s) on Mars? How fantastic! If proven to be correct...
Researchers have found evidence of an existing body of liquid water on Mars.

What they believe to be a lake sits under the planet's south polar ice cap, and is about 20km (12 miles) across.

Previous research found possible signs of intermittent liquid water flowing on the martian surface, but this is the first sign of a persistent body of water on the planet in the present day.

Lake beds like those explored by Nasa's Curiosity rover show water was present on the surface of Mars in the past.

However, the planet's climate has since cooled due to its thin atmosphere, leaving most of its water locked up in ice.

The result is exciting because scientists have long searched for signs of present-day liquid water on Mars, but these have come up empty or yielded ambiguous findings. It will also interest those studying the possibilities for life beyond Earth - though it does not yet raise the stakes in the search for biology.

The discovery was made using Marsis, a radar instrument on board the European Space Agency's (Esa) Mars Express orbiter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44952710

Like Lake Vostok below the antarctic ice shelf it seems Mars has a similar subsurface lake that could perhaps harbour primitive life.

Hurrah! Boffins finally discover liquid water sloshing around on Mars
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/2 ... ter_found/
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Vam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:37 am

LordRaven wrote:
MG2 wrote:
Vam wrote:

My favourite building in London, and it it's always fantastic to walk around spending hours looking at all the exhibits.

:wink: It's an awesome, magical place - a true "cathedral to nature".

Amazing exhibits aside, that Romanesque architecture is beautiful, and especially so when it's all lit up at night.

It was a bit of a challenge making our grand entrance down those stairs without falling arse over tit though! :oops: :gigglesnshit:
Vam

Postby Vam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:50 am

Hobbit wrote:
I was going to get married in a really old gothic church, with my gargoyle fascination fully sated

:wubbers:

Notre-Dame - gargoyles galore there! :trollface:
Vam

Postby LordRaven » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:35 pm

Vam wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
MG2 wrote:
Vam wrote:

Amazing exhibits aside, that Romanesque architecture is beautiful, and especially so when it's all lit up at night.

It was a bit of a challenge making our grand entrance down those stairs without falling arse over tit though! :oops: :gigglesnshit:

What a place for a wedding, great acoustics I would imagine.
Funnily enough I have never ventured into any of the other museums close at hand because I fell in love with The Natural History Museum and I've never tired of it since my first of numerous visits.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Keyser » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:43 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Vam wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
MG2 wrote:
Vam wrote:

What a place for a wedding, great acoustics I would imagine.
Funnily enough I have never ventured into any of the other museums close at hand because I fell in love with The Natural History Museum and I've never tired of it since my first of numerous visits.

How I wish I could visit so often - the place is truly what is what's best about our species. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Keyser » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:15 pm

The superb Stomatopods, the 'Ham Sandwich' theory and the incredible longevity of the Greenland shark.

https://theconversation.com/a-cooler-oc ... mithsonian

https://www.seeker.com/videos/astrophys ... -seriously

https://www.seeker.com/videos
Keyser

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms