Your Latest Purchase Which Is A Thread About Shopping.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Your Latest Purchase Which Is A Thread About Shopping.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 am

Booked an airport transfer through the hotel :shake head:

We arrive late though and will seek out a local taxi firm for the trip back :smilin:

Postby jra » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:23 am

Stooo wrote:
measurer wrote:
Nivarna wrote:Printer ink... Nearly fuckin' died at the price :yikes: :thud:

Snap! I need a new black refill. Why is ink so dear, when in comparison, pens are ten a penny? I now check out the ink prices if I need a new printer. I find HP are one of the most expensive to refill so I steer away from those printers.

Get a colour laser printer, I've had one for seven years. Sure they're more expensive but I get up to 2000 sheets out of each refill and I get after-market toner for £35 for all four, plus the black is bigger and lasts longer and as a bonus the print doesn't run if it gets wet.

I keep an ancient HP scanner/inkjet for scanning and printing photos but everything else goes through the laser printer.

That seems to be the biggest failing of laser printers, the printing of high quality colour images. Other than that they, IMO are better value for money in the long run.
jra

Postby jra » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:29 am

Aunt Bessie wrote:
jra wrote:
Aunt Bessie wrote:
measurer wrote:
Nivarna wrote:Printer ink... Nearly fuckin' died at the price :yikes: :thud:

Snap! I need a new black refill. Why is ink so dear, when in comparison, pens are ten a penny? I now check out the ink prices if I need a new printer. I find HP are one of the most expensive to refill so I steer away from those printers.

I used to go to a little shop in town and have my cartridges filled for me, much cheaper than buying new cartridges. i don't need a printer these days as I just email everything.

Might be worth looking into buying a laser printer, rather than an ink jet, especially if you're mainly going to print text only (black and white) documents.

That's why most offices (back in the day at least) had HP laser printers.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/printer ... ode=314AGJ

Thanks but I just email everything. :thumbsup:

Snap. I rarely need to print out documents. Sometimes I need to photocopy documents, so I go down the local shop for 10p a copy. The local library can print out a document for 15p (they say, or is that per sheet). Trouble is I've forgotten my PIN/ID so hopefully I can get that reset.
jra

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Sony WH-1000XM3 wireless headphones.

I decided to bite the bullet and get some wireless headphones to go with my new iPhone. I am currently using my Bose headphones with a 3.5mm adapter which was getting a little irritating.

These new headphones from Sony have been highly rated but I couldn't find them for love nor money as they seemed to be sold out everywhere. Amazon were showing stock being received in about 2-3 months so I thought it would simply be a case of sit and wait or buy an alternative. As a final shot I checked the Amazon warehouse et voila there was a single pair in silver left which was a return with damaged packaging. I have previously purchased a pair of Phillips Fidelio from the warehouse and they were basically as new save for the damaged box so I'm hoping this is a similar deal. Let's see when they turn up. The £30 off the list price was a nice little sweetener as well.

Little Miss Avon is getting the Boses if the Sonys turn out to be any good which she is very excited about (the spoilt little brat...)
Avon Barksdale

Postby jra » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:Sony WH-1000XM3 wireless headphones.

I decided to bite the bullet and get some wireless headphones to go with my new iPhone. I am currently using my Bose headphones with a 3.5mm adapter which was getting a little irritating.

These new headphones from Sony have been highly rated but I couldn't find them for love nor money as they seemed to be sold out everywhere. Amazon were showing stock being received in about 2-3 months so I thought it would simply be a case of sit and wait or buy an alternative. As a final shot I checked the Amazon warehouse et voila there was a single pair in silver left which was a return with damaged packaging. I have previously purchased a pair of Phillips Fidelio from the warehouse and they were basically as new save for the damaged box so I'm hoping this is a similar deal. Let's see when they turn up. The £30 off the list price was a nice little sweetener as well.

Little Miss Avon is getting the Boses if the Sonys turn out to be any good which she is very excited about (the spoilt little brat...)

Wireless headphones are unlikely to be as good as corded headphones, just like wireless connections for PCs are unlikely to be as good or reliable as wired connections.

Grado (one of the best headphone makes) don't make wireless models AFAIK as they compromise sound quality. That should tell you something.

http://grado.co.uk/headphones
jra

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:16 pm

jra wrote:

Wireless headphones are unlikely to be as good as corded headphones, just like wireless connections for PCs are unlikely to be as good or reliable as wired connections.

Grado (one of the best headphone makes) don't make wireless models AFAIK as they compromise sound quality. That should tell you something.

But it’s all subjective. My Wfi runs at around 200mbps download. Not as good as my wired, but more than enough for my needs.

Avon may not want or need the best possible sound. The conevenience of wireless with his iPhone is probably more important.
NastyNickers

Postby jra » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
jra wrote:

But it’s all subjective. My Wfi runs at around 200mbps download. Not as good as my wired, but more than enough for my needs.

Avon may not want or need the best possible sound. The conevenience of wireless with his iPhone is probably more important.

I know what you're saying. I've got an ancient pair of Sennheiser headphones (20+ years) that are out performed by headphones from the pound shop.

On the other hand, you may do better by buying a cheaper smartphone (Apple are renowned for being way overpriced) and a better pair of headphones for the same price.

There is no way I'm paying more than £100 for a smartphone, due to the risk factor of it being stolen and/or being mugged in the process. That unfortunately is a fact of life.
jra

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:56 pm

jra wrote:
I know what you're saying. I've got an ancient pair of Sennheiser headphones (20+ years) that are out performed by headphones from the pound shop.

On the other hand, you may do better by buying a cheaper smartphone (Apple are renowned for being way overpriced) and a better pair of headphones for the same price.

There is no way I'm paying more than £100 for a smartphone, due to the risk factor of it being stolen and/or being mugged in the process. That unfortunately is a fact of life.

I’d say it depends what you’re using it for. If I’m ever streaming music through my phone, it’s either in the car or on my wireless headphones. Wirleless because I only really use them when I’m at the gym, and it’s better than getting a stupid wire all caught on everything. And I’m not really overly fussed about sound quality there.

And Avon’s headphones aren’t really mid range. They are top range, expensive, with really good reviews.
NastyNickers

Postby Vam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:13 pm

jra wrote:[

I didn't even know you could buy a smartphone for under a £100 :ooer:

You're always such a frikkin killjoy though, jra. Why are you fussed about how people choose to spend their money? Each to their own, surely?
Vam

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:24 pm

NastyNickers wrote:

Pretty much.

I've avoided wireless headphones up until now due to sound quality and latency issues and will be sticking to a couple of wired cans I have for home use. However the Sonys are for being out and about and I've sacrificed some sound quality for convenience and the touch controls mean I don't have to be waving a £900 smartphone around for everyone to see on the regular (or drop it if I'm having a doofus moment.)

Also, if they get nicked then while I will be upset they are not ridiculously expensive so I can live with the risk.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Vam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

Pretty much.

I've avoided wireless headphones up until now due to sound quality and latency issues and will be sticking to a couple of wired cans I have for home use. However the Sonys are for being out and about and I've sacrificed some sound quality for convenience and the touch controls mean I don't have to be waving a £900 smartphone around for everyone to see on the regular (or drop it if I'm having a doofus moment.)

Also, if they get nicked then while I will be upset they are not ridiculously expensive so I can live with the risk.

I've been wireless for ages - could never go back to tangled! :wink:

How are you enjoying your new X?
Vam

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Vam wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

Pretty much.

It's certainly going to be a novelty!

Initially, I didn't like the Xs as I found it a little too big for my tastes (I've had roughly the same size smartphone since my first HTC through to the iPhone 6s) and the glass back miffed me a little as I had to put a case on it (something I don't ordinarily do with a phone although I always have a screen protector as I can be a bit of a klutz sometimes.)

Now I've had it for a bit I don't think I could go back. Face ID works really well, build quality is good, it's quick, the camera is amaze and so on...
Avon Barksdale

Postby Vam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Vam wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

Pretty much.

It's certainly going to be a novelty!

Initially, I didn't like the Xs as I found it a little too big for my tastes (I've had roughly the same size smartphone since my first HTC through to the iPhone 6s) and the glass back miffed me a little as I had to put a case on it (something I don't ordinarily do with a phone although I always have a screen protector as I can be a bit of a klutz sometimes.)

Now I've had it for a bit I don't think I could go back. Face ID works really well, build quality is good, it's quick, the camera is amaze and so on...

I knew you would :smilin:

Is little Miss Barky pestering you to get her hands on the latest updated Memoji stuff? I'm getting realllllllly creative faffing about with that :oops:
Vam

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Vam wrote:
Is little Miss Barky pestering you to get her hands on the latest updated Memoji stuff? I'm getting realllllllly creative faffing about with that :oops:

Little Miss Barky spends more time on it then I do! She's even set up an alternative Face ID on it so she can have a tinker when she wants.

I was in the park the other day with the little one and we sent her an Animoji by text to tell her we were going to the shops to get some sweets afterwards and did she want anything? I got an irrate text back from her saying I wasn't doing it right as I needed to move my facial features more so it could sync well with the audio.

Bloody kids...
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Christ on a bike!

I've just checked my saved Animojis and she's made a Memoji up for me and her! Wait till I get home!

To be fair though she showed me how to record myself inside the Millenium Falcon using Clips so I'll probably let her off as she has her uses.
Avon Barksdale

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms