What you up to today? #3

Big Threads

Re: What you up to today? #3

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Vam wrote:
Guest wrote:I had an interview for a position I really, really want. I did terrible in it. My mind kept going blank because I was so tense and am sure I came across a bit thick. My application in writing was very good and yet because of nerves or something ( I just felt tense) I didn't come across very well at all!

They'd fire a question at me and half way through the sentence I forgot how it ended. I knew the answers but just couldn't organise my brain to get them out through my lips. Disaster.

Aww... you must be kicking yourself for feeling a bit overwhelmed and 'freezing up' like that, especially as you knew the answers you should have been giving.

Maybe the interviewer/s could see you were nervous, and made allowances for that?

Hope you get another shot :smilin:

Thanks Vam. If I do ever get another shot I shall be better prepared. For hours and hours last night my brain kept going over the interview and thinking I forgot that. I should have said This etc...

I hate the dreaded question at the end where they say so..... Why you?

And I'm thinking.. How can I answer that when I don't know who the others are? I meet all the criteria. Why not me? I know I can do this or I wouldn't have applied. But obviously I can't say that without looking an arse.

Postby Niv » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Guest wrote:
Vam wrote:
Guest wrote:I had an interview for a position I really, really want. I did terrible in it. My mind kept going blank because I was so tense and am sure I came across a bit thick. My application in writing was very good and yet because of nerves or something ( I just felt tense) I didn't come across very well at all!

They'd fire a question at me and half way through the sentence I forgot how it ended. I knew the answers but just couldn't organise my brain to get them out through my lips. Disaster.

Aww... you must be kicking yourself for feeling a bit overwhelmed and 'freezing up' like that, especially as you knew the answers you should have been giving.

Maybe the interviewer/s could see you were nervous, and made allowances for that?

Thanks Vam. If I do ever get another shot I shall be better prepared. For hours and hours last night my brain kept going over the interview and thinking I forgot that. I should have said This etc...

And I'm thinking.. How can I answer that when I don't know who the others are? I meet all the criteria. Why not me? I know I can do this or I wouldn't have applied. But obviously I can't say that without looking an arse.

Ah, don't beat yourself up over it. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but what's done is done. Is this the first interview you've had in a while? If so, use it as a test run. As you say, if there's a second stage interview in the offing... You'll try to be better prepared.

When they ask things like why you?... They are wanting you to 'sell' yourself to them, highlighting all of the skills, and achievements you have in order to work within that company, and take it forward with their ethos and branding as a team member. If you meet all of their chosen criteria, then say that... You'd be surprised that what you may seem as looking like an arse is probably just what they are wanting to hear. You know you can do the job, you have their chosen criteria,and you want the chance, to prove you can do the job to the best of your ability within that company.

Going over, and over it will just make you feel worth, give it some breathing space. Fingers crossed for you, that you get a second interview. Many take nerves into account. Good luck! :smilin:
Niv

Postby Goodwife » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Guest wrote:
Vam wrote:

Do you get asked that alot guesty? Not something I have ever been asked in an interview to be honest. Is it/was it a job in an area you do or don't have much experience?. As nirvana says selling yourself & experience is probably what they want but everyone will say pretty much the same so you need something outside the box to set you apart. You can pretty much guarantee that all being interviewed will be pretty similar.

I was going to reply this morn to your first post but was in a hurry. Interview tip for you, if the offer you a drink before you start ask for a glass of water, then if you find yourself struggling for an answer or panicking, take a sip of the water and compose yourself. Taking the drink hides your 'pause'.
Goodwife

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm not beating myself up over it tonight Nirvana. I'm just reflecting on how I felt last night. I know the feeling of angst comes from trying to give answers they were looking for instead of just being more relaxed and myself.

My written application stated skills and experience. Yet during the interview they talked about how I might cope with the role and family life. So when it came to to why you? I talked about how my children are grown and their worries of me coping do not apply to me and how this is "My time" to do what I want. I didn't even mention my skills because I had been thrown of by that.

But next time I will. When you say they are looking for you to really sell yourself. I'm not applying to be a bloody sales person! And the whole thing feels like grovelling. Anyone that tries to sell me something. I don't buy.

Obviously I shall adapt my thinking in order to achieve if I don't get to second interview.

Postby Niv » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Guest wrote:I'm not beating myself up over it tonight Nirvana. I'm just reflecting on how I felt last night. I know the feeling of angst comes from trying to give answers they were looking for instead of just being more relaxed and myself.

My written application stated skills and experience. Yet during the interview they talked about how I might cope with the role and family life. So when it came to to why you? I talked about how my children are grown and their worries of me coping do not apply to me and how this is "My time" to do what I want. I didn't even mention my skills because I had been thrown of by that.

But next time I will. When you say they are looking for you to really sell yourself. I'm not applying to be a bloody sales person! And the whole thing feels like grovelling. Anyone that tries to sell me something. I don't buy.

Obviously I shall adapt my thinking in order to achieve if I don't get to second interview.

As I said hindsight is a wonderful thing. It sounds like you did OK in many respects. Taking about raising a family,and now being in the position to be able to focus on yourself, and your goals.

I'm afraid what you perseve as grovelling, and selling yourself ( I know you're not a salesperson or applying to be one) is what you have to do, if you want the job. It's not grovelling, or selling yourself literally... It's making yourself stand out from all the rest. I guess how much you're prepared to put in depends on how much you want the job. As you say, you'll give it some thought, and that's a good start. Good Luck! :smilin:
Niv

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Goodwife wrote:
Guest wrote:
Vam wrote:

Do you get asked that alot guesty? Not something I have ever been asked in an interview to be honest. Is it/was it a job in an area you do or don't have much experience?. As nirvana says selling yourself & experience is probably what they want but everyone will say pretty much the same so you need something outside the box to set you apart. You can pretty much guarantee that all being interviewed will be pretty similar.

I was going to reply this morn to your first post but was in a hurry. Interview tip for you, if the offer you a drink before you start ask for a glass of water, then if you find yourself struggling for an answer or panicking, take a sip of the water and compose yourself. Taking the drink hides your 'pause'.

No I don't because I haven't had an interview in a few years. But the last time I had an interview it felt more relaxed and I connected with the interviewees. This just felt very. Heads down on paper reading from a script. No connection.

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:47 pm

repost that last one guest, if you like, I didn't approve it as you'd answered within the nest of quotes rather than at the bottom
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 pm

I haven't had an interview in donkey's years so take this advice with a pinch of salt but apparently one of the best interview techniques is, before the questioning of your CV / experience begins, to ask the interviewers something along the lines of "the reason you called me for an interview is because my experience is right for your company. So what makes you think I'm great for this role?"

This reframes the interview as a conversation rather than a grilling, starts off the interview by compelling the interviewers to form positive associations of you from the start (you know the people who say first impressions don't matter? They're idiots) and reasons why it would be in their interests rather than yours to give you the job.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:53 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:repost that last one guest, if you like, I didn't approve it as you'd answered within the nest of quotes rather than at the bottom

I think you mean my post of saying Thankyou to Nirvana for replying and giving good advice.

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Guest wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:repost that last one guest, if you like, I didn't approve it as you'd answered within the nest of quotes rather than at the bottom

I think you mean my post of saying Thankyou to Nirvana for replying and giving good advice.

I did, but you'd stuck it in the middle - s'ok we all do it, but guests don't have the luxury of an edit after they have posted
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:I haven't had an interview in donkey's years so take this advice with a pinch of salt but apparently one of the best interview techniques is, before the questioning of your CV / experience begins, to ask the interviewers something along the lines of "the reason you called me for an interview is because my experience is right for your company. So what makes you think I'm great for this role?"

This reframes the interview as a conversation rather than a grilling, starts off the interview by compelling the interviewers to form positive associations of you from the start (you know the people who say first impressions don't matter? They're idiots) and reasons why it would be in their interests rather than yours to give you the job.

If I was interviewing you that would piss me off enough to give you the heave ho! :mrgreen: :shoot:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Goodwife » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Guest wrote:

No I don't because I haven't had an interview in a few years. But the last time I had an interview it felt more relaxed and I connected with the interviewees. This just felt very. Heads down on paper reading from a script. No connection.

Ahh I see, no wonder you were nervous. sounds like the interviewers were not welcoming. It reflects the people who work there so would you want a manager like that?

Just keep going, apply for stuff you might not really want just so you can get interview experience, more you do the less nervous you will feel. You will know when you find the connection because you are right thats how it should be.

Good luck with it all :mrgreen:
Goodwife

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:I haven't had an interview in donkey's years so take this advice with a pinch of salt but apparently one of the best interview techniques is, before the questioning of your CV / experience begins, to ask the interviewers something along the lines of "the reason you called me for an interview is because my experience is right for your company. So what makes you think I'm great for this role?"

If I was interviewing you that would piss me off enough to give you the heave ho! :mrgreen: :shoot:

Yes, because that's likely to happen.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Yes, because that's likely to happen.

:gigglesnshit: Yeah, like you’d ever get to an interview stage.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Goodwife » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 pm

You get grilled in interviews :yikes:
Goodwife

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive