Friday Fight Fred

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Friday Fight Fred

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:I wouldn't have thought it possible to over water a tomato.

Everything can be over watered

And usually die.
But but you said it’s impossible to overwater?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:I wouldn't have thought it possible to over water a tomato.

And usually die.

No I didn't.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Omg, I can’t bear this conversation any longer! Yes they can be overwatered and they split when they are.

Call yourself a farmer?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 pm

jra wrote:
Billy Giggler wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Probably dead in this weather

Not dead but very slow to ripen.

Had a good couple of weeks though, dis, where I could pick about two ripe ones a day.

But it’s all over now baby blue.

I do love this time of year though, new beginnings etc...

Two tomatoes went out for a meal in the rain and decided to go Dutch.

eh?

Lady Murasaki wrote:*types joke into google translate* :scratch:

I know they say if you have to explain a joke it isn't funny, but anyway.

Dutch tomatoes have a reputation for being large as they are over-watered. That's where the rain bit comes in.

Going Dutch is going halves in terms of payment for a meal.

QED.

But an overwatered Dutch tomato wouldn’t be very tasty.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Dippy Docus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:

And usually die.

No I didn't.
How dare a Baghead try and correct a dinosaur’s memory! :grrrrr:
Dippy Docus

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Omg, I can’t bear this conversation any longer! Yes they can be overwatered and they split when they are.

Call yourself a farmer?

I meant as in overwatered and sold in the shops!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby No cigar spotter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Omg, I can’t bear this conversation any longer! Yes they can be overwatered and they split when they are.

Call yourself a farmer?

I meant as in overwatered and sold in the shops!
Nice try but massive FAIL!
Watering tomatoes in shops :pmsl:
I’ve not seen tomatoes getting hosed down in supermarkets :pmsl:
No cigar spotter

Postby jra » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Billy Giggler wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Not dead but very slow to ripen.

Had a good couple of weeks though, dis, where I could pick about two ripe ones a day.

But it’s all over now baby blue.

I do love this time of year though, new beginnings etc...

eh?

Dutch tomatoes have a reputation for being large as they are over-watered. That's where the rain bit comes in.

QED.

That's why they aren't very tasty. Not compared with the tomatoes that the next door farmer grew when I was a young one. Smaller tomatoes tend to have more flavour and Dutch tomatoes generally being large you are just being sold water.

If you want flavorsome food you need to go to small producers, grow it yourself or in the case of fish catch it yourself, not go to the supermarkets where most of it is mass produced at the sacrifice of flavor in many cases.

I've eaten home grown or by the next door farmer, strawberries, raspberries, loganberries, gooseberries, asparagus, potatoes, cabbage, turnip, lettuce, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts and caught my own plaice, mackerel, pollack, garfish, plus also rabbit, pheasant, pigeon, duck, goose, chicken of the land from the same farmer etc. You won't get any of the same quality at most retail outlets.

The worst thing to do to fish is freeze them or have them come into contact with ice. However, it is necessary for retail in order to keep them fresh, as fish in general go off very quickly. A fresh mackerel caught by yourself is as good as any trout you can get in a restaurant or fishmonger easy when you've hauled it out the water and it's in the frying pan in under half an hour after being gutted. I know because dad and have done this when sailing on his yacht. Same with plaice. I've caught them myself and they were eaten fresh within 2-3 hours. Not even the Start Bay Inn, Torcross, Devon can match that.

In a supermarket especially you get dumbed down fruit, vegetables and fish. Mass produced, produced for the masses, many of whom don't know any better.

Sorry if that sounds condescending, but that's the general reality of it. Convenience food doesn't just apply to takeaways or fast food restaurants.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 pm

One more try.
I wouldn't have thought over watered toms would be an item that were sold in shops. :ooer:
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Lord Brockett » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 pm

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Billy Giggler wrote:
jra wrote:

eh?

QED.

That's why they aren't very tasty. Not compared with the tomatoes that the next door farmer grew when I was a young one. Smaller tomatoes tend to have more flavour and Dutch tomatoes generally being large you are just being sold water.

If you want flavorsome food you need to go to small producers, grow it yourself or in the case of fish catch it yourself, not go to the supermarkets where most of it is mass produced at the sacrifice of flavor in many cases.

I've eaten home grown or by the next door farmer, strawberries, raspberries, loganberries, gooseberries, asparagus, potatoes, cabbage, turnip, lettuce, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts and caught my own plaice, mackerel, pollack, garfish, plus also rabbit, pheasant, pigeon, duck, goose, chicken of the land from the same farmer etc. You won't get any of the same quality at most retail outlets.

The worst thing to do to fish is freeze them or have them come into contact with ice. However, it is necessary for retail in order to keep them fresh, as fish in general go off very quickly. A fresh mackerel caught by yourself is as good as any trout you can get in a restaurant or fishmonger easy when you've hauled it out the water and it's in the frying pan in under half an hour after being gutted. I know because dad and have done this when sailing on his yacht. Same with plaice. I've caught them myself and they were eaten fresh within 2-3 hours. Not even the Start Bay Inn, Torcross, Devon can match that.

In a supermarket especially you get dumbed down fruit, vegetables and fish. Mass produced, produced for the masses, many of whom don't know any better.

Sorry if that sounds condescending, but that's the general reality of it. Convenience food doesn't just apply to takeaways or fast food restaurants.

So you live next to a farm on the coast near the yacht club where daddy’s yacht is moored and you only eat fresh fowl meat fish fruit and veg.
You are one seriously privileged individual!
Do you own a fleet of vintage classic cars and drive supercars for fun too?
Lord Brockett

Postby Stooo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:One more try.
I wouldn't have thought over watered toms would be an item that were sold in shops. :ooer:

They're not it's bullshit as anyone who has ever grown toms knows, over water the things and you will get tender fruit that's prone to split skins and takes ages to ripen.

The Danish probably have a species of tomato that just grows big, I've bought them in Lidl and they're pretty bland even at room temperature (never refrigerate your tomatoes viewers). I can't see what the fuss is about.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jack Cohen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:12 pm

But they’d be big and juicy, because just like water melons, marrows and all fruits they grow bigger through absorbing more water.
Jack Cohen

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Plum tomatoes from a can with full English breakfast are sublime and taste amazing when served that way.

Postby jra » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Lord Brockett wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Billy Giggler wrote:
eh?

QED.

So you live next to a farm on the coast near the yacht club where daddy’s yacht is moored and you only eat fresh fowl meat fish fruit and veg.
You are one seriously privileged individual!
Do you own a fleet of vintage classic cars and drive supercars for fun too?

I used to live there, i.e. south Devon, near the coast, not on the coast. But not now. As for Baron Brocket, he was done for insurance fraud. Nothing to do with me obviously and Brocket Hall is nowhere near the coast, being in the Welwyn Garden City/Hatfield area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Brocket
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocket_Hall

But no doubt for your trolling exercise, you chose that, as you know full well those two towns are near Luton.

They say crime doesn't pay, but it certainly did for Brocket in the long run.
jra

Postby jra » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Jack Cohen wrote:

But they’d be big and juicy, because just like water melons, marrows and all fruits they grow bigger through absorbing more water.

Big and juicy, but relatively flavourless.
jra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms