ACCENTS....

A right load of bollocks...

Re: ACCENTS....

Postby calitom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:33 am

jra wrote:One thing that has always puzzled me is that some people pick up accents when they move around to live there for a while, but I never really have. If you're really on the ball, you might click I've got a very very slight Devonian accent, but most people assume I have a standard southern accent. By all rights I should have had a Mancunian, Welsh, full Devonian accents in the past.

And tbh Brummie, Geordie, Glaswegian and Liverpudlian are accents I don't want to pick up. Sorry.

some do some dont.......but i think part of your post reveals why---you said u didnt want to pick up some of those accents. i think those who like the accent of the place they move to tend to pick them up more readily.

I grew up in Buiffalo and certainly still have the accent--But it is modified by the softer california accent.I have livd in california for almost 35 yrs now.
Im about half buffalo/half bland california.i havent really tried to avoid or adopt either accent
calitom

Postby jra » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 am

calitom wrote:
jra wrote:One thing that has always puzzled me is that some people pick up accents when they move around to live there for a while, but I never really have. If you're really on the ball, you might click I've got a very very slight Devonian accent, but most people assume I have a standard southern accent. By all rights I should have had a Mancunian, Welsh, full Devonian accents in the past.

And tbh Brummie, Geordie, Glaswegian and Liverpudlian are accents I don't want to pick up. Sorry.

some do some dont.......but i think part of your post reveals why---you said u didnt want to pick up some of those accents. i think those who like the accent of the place they move to tend to pick them up more readily.

I grew up in Buiffalo and certainly still have the accent--But it is modified by the softer california accent.I have livd in california for almost 35 yrs now.
Im about half buffalo/half bland california.i havent really tried to avoid or adopt either accent

By that definition I should have had a Devonian accent. IMO, it's nothing to do with liking the places you live in. Some people just don't seem to pick up accents.

I've never lived in those places, I just don't like the local traditional accents particularly.

Some Glaswegian and Geordie accents are so strong many outsiders cannot understand what these people are saying. However, I think it's more a case of speaking clearly (many people don't, i.e. mumble) rather than what accent you've got. Rab C. Nesbitt made a living out of it, though IRL he speaks with a 'posh' accent.
jra

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am

I don't think any of us hear our own accents in the way that other people do, so what you might think of as being a gentle touch of an accent could mean you actually sound like Ian Paisley
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby jra » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:I don't think any of us hear our own accents in the way that other people do, so what you might think of as being a gentle touch of an accent could mean you actually sound like Ian Paisley

I hope not. Shouty man as I used to call him. Actually more like a gobshite that made my ears bleed.
jra

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms