Sober for October

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Sober for October

Postby Gabby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:02 pm

measurer wrote:
Gabby wrote:Giving to charity is great, and I regularly donate one way or another.... there’s more ways of donating than being seen to be a martyr by giving up summat you enjoy for a month! :dunno:

Guessing you don't do Lent?

No, do you?
Gabby

Postby measurer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:13 pm

No, I'm Protestant.
measurer

Postby Dean » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 am

measurer wrote:
Gabby wrote:Giving to charity is great, and I regularly donate one way or another.... there’s more ways of donating than being seen to be a martyr by giving up summat you enjoy for a month! :dunno:

Lent is a religious thing. Fuck knows where sober for October comes from. Unless you’re getting sponsorship for doing it, what’s the point? I’d rather sponsor someone for doing a fun run or the like than not having a drink. It’s a load of bollocks...
Dean

Postby George » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 am

Dean wrote:
measurer wrote:

Lent is a religious thing. Fuck knows where sober for October comes from. Unless you’re getting sponsorship for doing it, what’s the point? I’d rather sponsor someone for doing a fun run or the like than not having a drink. It’s a load of bollocks...

I think many people see it as personal challenge and there is a sense of support if others are doing it. I lasted until the 2nd October :oops:
George

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:10 am

isn't it also because alcohol is linked to various cancers?
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Nucks » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:25 am

Dean wrote:
measurer wrote:

It’s probably nothing more than groups putting pressure on being healthier, although doing it for a month and then going back to drinking heavily (if that’s what some do) isn’t going to make much difference. It would be like dieting for a month, then returning to eating junk. The gov’t (NHS) sponsored change4life campaign is another load of bollocks. They hardly want us to give up alcohol, it’s a huge cash cow for them in tax revenue. It’s an exercise in PC.
Nucks

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 am

I don’t drink enough to stop for a month.
Maybe I’ll stop baking and eating cakes, September was a big birthday month so I need to abstain for a month.
Lady Murasaki

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms