Flu jab

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Flu jab

Postby Abs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 pm

I never used to get the flu shot and I never had the flu. But after getting cancer my oncologist said it's really important that I do get one. So I had one last week. No arm pain, feeling good. :)
Abs

Postby measurer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 pm

daniel deronda wrote:No-one carries a handkerchief anymore though.

Most women do carry paper hankies. Do you know the flu germ can live for - I believe - 10 minutes after you have touched something? It's why the washing of your hands is strongly advised when you get a chance to. This is partly why.
measurer

Postby Aaron_Silver » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 am

Had the vaccination for 25 years and have never had an issue with it, other than the expected few sniffles sometimes afterwards.
Aaron_Silver

Postby Gabby » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:51 am

It can’t give you flu, it’s not a live vaccine.... got mine next week!
Gabby

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:30 am

Flu like symptoms for a couple of days for some.

According to the CDC, mild side effects from the flu shot include soreness, redness or swelling at the injection site, low-grade fever and aches. Only about 1 percent to 2 percent of people who get a flu shot will have fever as a side effect, Schaffner said.

Postby guest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am

measurer wrote:I have never heard of anyone having the flu for 9 months and longer. After effects may have been a better choice of words, but looking at him? I believe there is more to his illness...

When I was 22 myself and an a friends friend of my mother's both caught the flu and had over 6 months of hell, we couldn't think straight we were tired all the time, living life through what seemed a window, I had 6 months of anti depressants and to be honest I never really recovered even to this day that day 20 years ago haunts me as I never had the same outlook on life and have struggled with depressive episodes.

I am now in a dilemma I work in a gp surgery and last year had the jab for the first time and 6 weeks after it, whether related or not, i got rashes all over my torso that the doctor could not diagnose.

I am now in a situation where I ask myself do I risk the jab again and have side effects or do I not get it and take the risks knowing what happened 20 years ago.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 am

guest wrote:
measurer wrote:I have never heard of anyone having the flu for 9 months and longer. After effects may have been a better choice of words, but looking at him? I believe there is more to his illness...

When I was 22 myself and an a friends friend of my mother's both caught the flu and had over 6 months of hell, we couldn't think straight we were tired all the time, living life through what seemed a window, I had 6 months of anti depressants and to be honest I never really recovered even to this day that day 20 years ago haunts me as I never had the same outlook on life and have struggled with depressive episodes.

I am now in a dilemma I work in a gp surgery and last year had the jab for the first time and 6 weeks after it, whether related or not, i got rashes all over my torso that the doctor could not diagnose.

I am now in a situation where I ask myself do I risk the jab again and have side effects or do I not get it and take the risks knowing what happened 20 years ago.

There is a site where you can put down adverse reactions and its all collated. Here it is - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/reporting-side-effects/
U may also find some answers when there. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Postby jra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am

Really.

Tissues spread diseases, as many people just leave them on the bar or even in ashtrays, open top bins, whereas you put a handkerchief back in your pocket. Also, many tissues tend to dissolve. Handkerchiefs are also much cheaper in the long run and should be washed regularly and bleached.
jra

Postby jra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:45 am

I've never had the flu AFAIK, so I don't bother with a jab. I haven't had a proper cold for about 30 years. I have some other health issues, but nothing to do with viruses.
jra

Postby Gabby » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:03 am

Proper hand hygiene plays a big part in infection control..... carry a pocket size hand gel when out and about coughing and sneezing etc.... and use it!! :thumbsup:
Gabby

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 am

Getting mine tomorrow. Hate getting the flu, it leaves you incapacitated for days and I don’t get it if I get the jab.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 am

jra wrote:

Really.

Tissues spread diseases, as many people just leave them on the bar or even in ashtrays, open top bins, whereas you put a handkerchief back in your pocket. Also, many tissues tend to dissolve. Handkerchiefs are also much cheaper in the long run and should be washed regularly and bleached.

trust you to make people want to throw up! :pukeup:

Postby Gabby » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:28 am

jra wrote:

Really.

You’d rather keep using and handling the same dirty old hanky out of your pocket? :yikes:...... also, I can’t think of anything more disgusting than having to wash a cotton hanky :pukeup: .. thank fuck for tissues!
Gabby

Postby Nucks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:53 am

guest wrote:

Are they sure it was the flu? Almost sounds like mono.
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am

Related to germs, how do you feel about the prolific use of antibacterial sprays, wipes, hand gel, etc? Are we overprotecting what should be our natural Immunities or do they fill a necessary gap?
Nucks

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms