Modesty culture

A right load of bollocks...

Modesty culture

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:57 pm

https://www.indy100.com/article/marks-a ... 1539359477

Retail clothing giant M & S are in the centre of controversy after they released a school uniform line that included a hijab for young Muslim girls.

The piece of religious attire is used to cover the hair of Muslim girls and it has been made available to purchase online for the first time as a result of popular demand.

The decision is being heavily criticised by parents and campaigners, who say it’s a form of oppression, whilst others accuse it of sexualising young girls.

Marks and Spencers works with 250 schools as their uniform supplier and they get requests for a wide range of clothes including trousers, skirts and shirts.

The hijabs, which can be found under the school uniform section for girls, is being sold for £6 and is designed to fit girls over the age of nine. However, a Twitter user who was testing M&S asked if it would fit his “three year old twins.” M&S responded that a medium would.
Bella

Re: Modesty culture

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Not a fan of this by the way...
Bella

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Bella

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Bella

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:17 pm

He was really torn up about it today, I understand because of his background but he was savage. I'm not sure what to make of it.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Wtf?
What are they playing at?
Do they think this makes them look progressive?
Arseholes.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:34 pm

Stooo wrote:

He was really torn up about it today, I understand because of his background but he was savage. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Do you think little girls should hide their hair ?
Bella

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Bella wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Do you think little girls should hide their hair ?

If they want to, the same as dressing up as princesses and playing with turtles; they're little kids and mad as fuck.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:49 pm

It’s not the same as dressing up. It’s about getting young girls used to being ashamed of their hair because it may turn a male on.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:It’s not the same as dressing up. It’s about getting young girls used to being ashamed of their hair because it may turn a male on.

Yes!
Bella

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:54 pm

One of the books I studied during my degree was about how Muslim women are shrugging off Western values and excesses and choosing to wear the veil (behind the veil iirc)

and that is what it boils down to, free choice, we no more have the right to tell them what not to wear than a religion/patriarchy has to tell them what to wear

funny how when it bucks Western norms it sudenly becomes something that shouldn't be tolerated EVER, that's no more than racism dressed up prettily because it's instigated by the middle clases

but hey it demonstrates how Tommy Robinson and his ilk aren't really any different to those sat on their high horses
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:57 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:One of the books I studied during my degree was about how Muslim women are shrugging off Western values and excesses and choosing to wear the veil (behind the veil iirc)

and that is what it boils down to, free choice, we no more have the right to tell them what not to wear than a religion/patriarchy has to tell them what to wear

funny how when it bucks Western norms it sudenly becomes something that shouldn't be tolerated EVER, that's no more than racism dressed up prettily because it's instigated by the middle clases

but hey it demonstrates how Tommy Robinson and his ilk aren't really any different to those sat on their high horses

How high is your horse ?
Bella

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Bella wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:One of the books I studied during my degree was about how Muslim women are shrugging off Western values and excesses and choosing to wear the veil (behind the veil iirc)

How high is your horse ?

15 2, so not so high

and I have leather riding boots

your point?
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:03 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Bella wrote:

How high is your horse ?

15 2, so not so high

and I have leather riding boots

your point?

You had a choice to wear your boots or whatever, lucky you!
Bella

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Reading books isn’t quite the same as actual experience of cultural oppression.
Always sounds dead intellectual though.
Lady Murasaki

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms