Monday Madness!

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby jra » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:34 am

Guest wrote:
jra wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:15 x zoom is not that great these days either, even some of the cheap compact zooms do 20 x and they're nowhere near as chunky so you can put them in a jeans pocket.

I think you need an upgrade!


Above 10x you can't really hold the camera still enough without a tripod or resting it on a flat surface, just like with binoculars.


Really?


Yes.

You might be OK with image stabilization.

That's why you should take multiple pictures of the same scene, landscape in my case and discard the worst.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13199
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 am

jra wrote:
Guest wrote:
jra wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:15 x zoom is not that great these days either, even some of the cheap compact zooms do 20 x and they're nowhere near as chunky so you can put them in a jeans pocket.

I think you need an upgrade!


Above 10x you can't really hold the camera still enough without a tripod or resting it on a flat surface, just like with binoculars.


Really?


Yes.

You might be OK with image stabilization.

That's why you should take multiple pictures of the same scene, landscape in my case and discard the worst.


If you're having to take multiple pics of the same scene to guarantee a decent pic then there's something wrong with your technique/camera knowledge or your camera-lens combi. :dunno:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby jra » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 am

Guest wrote:
jra wrote:
Guest wrote:
jra wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:You keep saying that but most bridge cameras, like yours, are just small sensor compacts styled to look like DSLRs.

The Huawei P20 Pro has a bigger sensor and a better lens than your bridge camera.


I doubt it, regarding the lens. It's no doubt too small for decent light gathering in difficult photography conditions.

And I told you before IIRC, a camera isn't just about how good the sensor is. There is more to it than just megapixels. Like the quality and size of the lens aperture, the amount of flexibility e.g. auto, manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, plus the ability to use a proper tripod, have a decent camera grip etc.

You won't see a professional photographer using a smartphone to take decent photographs. Smartphones are generally for bog standard photos and selfies.


Depends on how serious you are regarding quality of your pics. I would say the size of the sensor is one of the most important factors when choosing a camera, affects so much - dynamic range, diffraction etc.


Well, I didn't want to make a career out of it.

My general experience is the average photo taken by a bridge camera/DSLR is usually better than one by a smartphone, aside from it being difficult to justify spending £500-1000 on what is essentially a phone. The clue is in the name 'smartphone', not 'smartcamera'.


Nobody mentioned a career. You don't need to have pro aspirations to want good quality photos. I was addressing your opinion regarding sensor, which I disagreed with.


You've never heard the expression 'making a career out of something', i.e. not wanting to go into too many technical details. Photography is an art form, not an exact science.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13199
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:43 am

jra wrote:
Yes.

You might be OK with image stabilization.

That's why you should take multiple pictures of the same scene, landscape in my case and discard the worst.


I've got a Sony 50x bridge camera I use to take pictures of birds and the image stabilisation is pretty good, don't need a tripod if I lean against something.
User avatar
Ray of Sunshine
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:48 am

Regarding sensors, with a bigger sensor you get better low light performance and a wider dynamic range and therefore better pictures.

If you look at the DxO ratings medium format cameras which have the biggest sensors have the highest ratings, then full frame which have the next biggest.
User avatar
Ray of Sunshine
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:56 am

jra wrote:
Guest wrote:
jra wrote:
Guest wrote:
jra wrote:
I doubt it, regarding the lens. It's no doubt too small for decent light gathering in difficult photography conditions.

And I told you before IIRC, a camera isn't just about how good the sensor is. There is more to it than just megapixels. Like the quality and size of the lens aperture, the amount of flexibility e.g. auto, manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, plus the ability to use a proper tripod, have a decent camera grip etc.

You won't see a professional photographer using a smartphone to take decent photographs. Smartphones are generally for bog standard photos and selfies.


Depends on how serious you are regarding quality of your pics. I would say the size of the sensor is one of the most important factors when choosing a camera, affects so much - dynamic range, diffraction etc.


Well, I didn't want to make a career out of it.

My general experience is the average photo taken by a bridge camera/DSLR is usually better than one by a smartphone, aside from it being difficult to justify spending £500-1000 on what is essentially a phone. The clue is in the name 'smartphone', not 'smartcamera'.


Nobody mentioned a career. You don't need to have pro aspirations to want good quality photos. I was addressing your opinion regarding sensor, which I disagreed with.


You've never heard the expression 'making a career out of something', i.e. not wanting to go into too many technical details. Photography is an art form, not an exact science.


Like I said I was addressing your sensor comment.

You don't need to know too many tech details to get a decent image. I don't know many techie details about my DSLRs but get pretty good images.

I also don't have to take multiple images in the hope of getting one decent shot. I don't personally know anyone else who does either.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
jra wrote:
Yes.

You might be OK with image stabilization.

That's why you should take multiple pictures of the same scene, landscape in my case and discard the worst.


I've got a Sony 50x bridge camera I use to take pictures of birds and the image stabilisation is pretty good, don't need a tripod if I lean against something.


Lens IS is a great aid, helps me out when using a heavy long lens and (full frame) camera.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:07 pm

How about you guys start a new thread about cameras and lenses etc? This thread is getting boring.
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6526
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Dean » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Have a civil conversation... Get told off

Have an argument... Get told off
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 35736
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Dean wrote:Have a civil conversation... Get told off

Have an argument... Get told off


Oh fuck off you hypocrite...are you suddenly OK wit jra's posts? If so, don't get me wrong, I'm rather delighted. I'm glad you can be reasonable. I don't mind him and co talking about cameras at all but I would rather they have a separate thread...what's wrong with that?
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6526
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Dean » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Holly wrote:
Dean wrote:Have a civil conversation... Get told off

Have an argument... Get told off


Oh fuck off you hypocrite...are you suddenly OK wit jra's posts? If so, don't get me wrong, I'm rather delighted. I'm glad you can be reasonable. I don't mind him and co talking about cameras at all but I would rather they have a separate thread...what's wrong with that?


Mixed signals.
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 35736
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Dean wrote:
Holly wrote:
Dean wrote:Have a civil conversation... Get told off

Have an argument... Get told off


Oh fuck off you hypocrite...are you suddenly OK wit jra's posts? If so, don't get me wrong, I'm rather delighted. I'm glad you can be reasonable. I don't mind him and co talking about cameras at all but I would rather they have a separate thread...what's wrong with that?


Mixed signals.

Eh? How?
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6526
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Dean » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Nevermind, it’s not important...
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 35736
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Dean wrote:Nevermind, it’s not important...


Didn't think so :woteva:
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6526
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: Monday Madness!

Postby jra » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:18 am

Holly wrote:How about you guys start a new thread about cameras and lenses etc? This thread is getting boring.


No problem with that.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13199
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests