Fairy tales...good or bad?

A right load of bollocks...

Fairy tales...good or bad?

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:17 am

Kristen Bell blasts Prince Charming for kissing Snow White 'without her permission'

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ng-snow-w/

Keira Knightley has banned her daughter from watching 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Cinderella'

As she explained on the latest episode of 'Ellen', Knightley has a strict ban in her household on 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Cinderella' because neither one of them have a particularly progressive message for women. 'Cinderella', according to Knightley, is banned because "she waits around for a rich guy to rescue her. Don't. Rescue yourself, obviously."

It's the same bit with 'The Little Mermaid', as Knightley explains that Ariel gives her up voice to please a man. "I mean, the songs are great - but do not give your voice up for a man. But, 'The Little Mermaid', I love that one, but it's a tricky one and I'm sticking to it.

http://entertainment.ie/celebrity-gossi ... 409142.htm

Are Fairy Tales Sexist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs_axfvhipc

It would be great to 'hear' other peoples view on that subject...I personally think it's just ridiculous and sad . Many of us grew up with those stories and enjoyed them immensely.
Holly
Site Admin

Re: Fairy tales...good or bad?

Postby Guesticle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:11 am

Holly wrote:Kristen Bell blasts Prince Charming for kissing Snow White 'without her permission'

Keira Knightley has banned her daughter from watching 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Cinderella'

As she explained on the latest episode of 'Ellen', Knightley has a strict ban in her household on 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Cinderella' because neither one of them have a particularly progressive message for women. 'Cinderella', according to Knightley, is banned because "she waits around for a rich guy to rescue her. Don't. Rescue yourself, obviously."

It's the same bit with 'The Little Mermaid', as Knightley explains that Ariel gives her up voice to please a man. "I mean, the songs are great - but do not give your voice up for a man. But, 'The Little Mermaid', I love that one, but it's a tricky one and I'm sticking to it.

Are Fairy Tales Sexist?

It would be great to 'hear' other peoples view on that subject...I personally think it's just ridiculous and sad . Many of us grew up with those stories and enjoyed them immensely.

Good thread Holls :smilin:

They may be deemed 'sexist' when viewed through the lens of contemporary identity politics, but I don't agree with banning them.

There's definitely a conversation to be had about consent and representation of traditional male and female roles, but I'd much rather have that conversation then let people watch what they want. Banning any art is utterly facile imo (unless it's inciting violence or genuinely hateful / racist etc).

The permission thing is interesting. I've never had explicit 'permission' from anyone I've kissed. You just have to use your judgement in the moment. Pretty sure most people can tell when someone is up for a smooch or not. Why not just let people watch the film and have a chat after about how kissing someone when they're asleep could be inappropriate? With banning the films, there's no conversation and no education. Surely banning is just reinforcing one world view in the same that older media can be said to, in terms of representation of female roles.

Also who's to say the current thinking on identity politics is it and society will never change it's mind again and suddenly deem heavy-handed garbage like A Wrinkle in Time or The Hate You Give to be patronising and divisive? The fickleness of what terms are deemed pc tells me that we will indeed shift and what's currently seen as progressive will be deemed offensive at some point.

Tbh I feel identity politics in general infantilises society and has caused more division and resentment than any good it's done.
Guesticle

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am

It's called imagination and when I was a kid I loved Enid Blyton books.
I remember quite clearly the images in my head of gingerbread houses.
Giants inhabited dark corners.
Seven midgets sleeping with a woman and so on.
All good stuff.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Niv » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:30 am

I personally think all this PC crap is just that. These stories have been around for years. Lots of little girls grew up up loving these fairy tales. It wouldn't enter their heads to even question the so-called 'issues' that these nutty people think up. All it is doing is making children aware of these 'issues' which in turn means they grow up with issues.Children should be allowed to be children, but more and more things are being turned into PC minefields. It's crazy!
Niv

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:It's called imagination and when I was a kid I loved Enid Blyton books.
I remember quite clearly the images in my head of gingerbread houses.
Giants inhabited dark corners.
Seven midgets sleeping with a woman and so on.
All good stuff.

I get it, I would listen to my Mum reading me my fairy tale bed time stories with great excitement...never did I as a child connect any of the stories with any sexism, homosexuality, violence or politically incorrectness :roll: I just enjoyed the story and I'm pretty sure that none of those stories screwed me up for life . I seriously think the human brain is deteriorating.
Lets not have jungle gyms in play grounds cos kids could hurt themselves, lets not allow them to climb trees, they could fall off, lets not tell them fairy tales, it could poison their mind, lets not let them play in dirt, it could kill them OMG...WTF next? What week and soft next generation are we raising???
Holly
Site Admin

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:45 am

I think it's all about balance

no harm in fairytales but as a parent we should also instill a balance to that

it's fine waiting for your prince to come, as long as you realise that when he does it will probably be all over your face

(probably prudent not to explain it that brutally)
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:48 am

Nivarna wrote:I personally think all this PC crap is just that. These stories have been around for years. Lots of little girls grew up up loving these fairy tales. It wouldn't enter their heads to even question the so-called 'issues' that these nutty people think up. All it is doing is making children aware of these 'issues' which in turn means they grow up with issues.Children should be allowed to be children, but more and more things are being turned into PC minefields. It's crazy!

I grew up with stories like Pinocchio...did it ever occur to me that that bloke who created him might be gay? Of course not :roll: Nobody cared. It's those sick arsehole who want to save the vulnerable children. None of us kids even gave it a thought.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:49 am

Nah. It’s daft.

You should be teaching little girls that they don’t need a prince, and boundaries and consent. A fairytale should have no bearing on that.
NastyNickers

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 am

When we think about Sleeping Beauty...wasn't it the Prince's kiss that rescued her from a long sleep? How the fuck would she have been able to give consent?
If a person is unconscious, is the would be rescuer who wants to giver her mouth to mouth (as in first aid) supposed to ask for her consent first before he puts his lips on hers to save her life?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 am

Nivarna wrote:I personally think all this PC crap is just that. These stories have been around for years. Lots of little girls grew up up loving these fairy tales. It wouldn't enter their heads to even question the so-called 'issues' that these nutty people think up. All it is doing is making children aware of these 'issues' which in turn means they grow up with issues.Children should be allowed to be children, but more and more things are being turned into PC minefields. It's crazy!

Pretty much, this ^^^ :thumbsup:

Why try to fix what ain't 'broke'...? :dunno:
Vam

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:58 am

Holly wrote:When we think about Sleeping Beauty...wasn't it the Prince's kiss that rescued her from a long sleep? How the fuck would she have been able to give consent?
If a person is unconscious, is the would be rescuer who wants to giver her mouth to mouth (as in first aid) supposed to ask for her consent first before he puts his lips on hers to save her life?

Children know it's not real, the animation gives that away, as long as they know in real life that we don't paw at unconscious people then there is no issue - the two things aren't even connected in most people's minds

Parents teach morals and values, and boring stuff, fairytales are part of a childs escape from that reality
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 am

Vam wrote:

Pretty much, this ^^^ :thumbsup:

Why try to fix what ain't 'broke'...? :dunno:

Exactly! I don't think anyone has ever been able to prove that fairy tales are damaging, they're just that "imaginary fairy tales" and I think most children as they grow up can differentiate between real and "fairy tale"
I think many of the Xbox/PS games are much more damaging than old fashion fairy tales.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 am

HobbitFeet wrote:
Holly wrote:When we think about Sleeping Beauty...wasn't it the Prince's kiss that rescued her from a long sleep? How the fuck would she have been able to give consent?

Children know it's not real, the animation gives that away, as long as they know in real life that we don't paw at unconscious people then there is no issue - the two things aren't even connected in most people's minds

Parents teach morals and values, and boring stuff, fairytales are part of a childs escape from that reality

Yup. I totally agree with that...It is up to the parent to explain to the child that the story told was/is just that...a story, not real, just a fantasy to have fun with...most kids get it.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby LordRaven » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:19 am

Holly wrote:Kristen Bell blasts Prince Charming for kissing Snow White 'without her permission'

Are Fairy Tales Sexist?

PC madness! Let kids be kids and don't do away with thousands of years of tradition. What next? Ban little girls playing with dolls?
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 am

Why does she feel the need to tell the world?

Sick of stupid SJW actors why think their opinions are so important.
Ray of Sunshine

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms