poppies

A right load of bollocks...

Re: poppies

Postby HobbitFeet » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:58 pm

there's estimated to be between 7 and 13 thousand ex-military on the streets, many with mental health issues, and many with service stretching back to the Falklands

it's a national disgrace and I'm more than happy for my poppy money to go towards picking up the pieces that politics leaves behind

(in the 90's it was estimated that something like 20% of homeless males in London had a service background)
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Isn't the welfare of ex-servicemen (such as myself and others on here) a matter for the government and the country they served? Not left to charity, surely?
McAz

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:16 pm

WGAF? wrote:
Kranek wrote:Okay, I'm going to get flamed for this but...

I don't see the point? If the money was going directly to the veterans who fought in the World Wars then I'd happily donate. They're the ones who fought for our freedom.

Today's veterans? They're cannon fodder for the politicians fighting wars that, win or lose, are going to make no difference to the world. Terrorism will never disappear, and arguably, the meddling of UK military has made things worse. The old line of fighting for my freedom is a load of bollocks - they're used to protect the interests of politicians.

I like the Swiss idea of military neutrality. Only getting involved in matters that directly affect their interests. I've yet to see their rights and freedom at risk.

So, no - no interest in the poppy. I don't need one to respect or remember what happened over 70 years ago. Nowadays, people sign up willingly to the armed forces and I think it's up to them and all others in the services to be charitable towards one another. Should they actually ever have to really fight for my freedom I'd give them anything I could.

You make a sound point which caused me to Google where the poppy money goes. I found this "By buying a red poppy each year you are supporting a new generation of veterans and armed forces personnel."

I will be reviewing my position next year, I don't want to support a new generation of people engaged in killing.

Wasn't there a bit of controversy about that a couple of years ago? I'm sure I remember an article in the media on the current publicity campaign which had photos of young kids wearing T-shirts with "Future Soldier" or something like that on them? Didn't it receive a lot of criticism for militarising and politicising the poppy?

Postby Fletch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm

McAz wrote:Isn't the welfare of ex-servicemen (such as myself and others on here) a matter for the government and the country they served? Not left to charity, surely?

It should be but neoliberalism over the last 40 plus years has conditioned people to believe public services are bad. Charity for the poorest, private for the rest. :shake head:
Fletch

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Fletch wrote:
McAz wrote:Isn't the welfare of ex-servicemen (such as myself and others on here) a matter for the government and the country they served? Not left to charity, surely?

It should be but neoliberalism over the last 40 plus years has conditioned people to believe public services are bad. Charity for the poorest, private for the rest. :shake head:

Quite so, Fletch, though as you know the very rich get "welfare" from the rest of us by way of tax breaks etc.
McAz

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Middens wrote:
BUDGIE wrote:I'm wearing two at the moment, to remember both my grandads who died before they met my grandmothers.

Are you wearing one?

If not, why not, you Nazi supporting c**t?

Anyone who declares they don't have a poppy on this thread, is persona non grata to me...

How about a swastika tattoo and a poppy? :yikes:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sund ... 41173.html
Oh Princess, shouldn't have said that. Do You cellebrate armistice on the 25/12 every year? In fact do You go out at the raising and lowering of the flag each day and remember. Did Your Grandmothers or Mother not teach You to refrain from speaking ill of the dead? Do You know why the poppy is worn? And why the fk do I need to proove to the world if I make a donation? Grow some real poppies and wear them instead of feeling the need to get something every time you exchange money. There is enough plastic floating in Our Oceans as it is. consistency People, be consistent! Tell me, what do You know of war?
art0hur0moh

Postby WGAF? » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:05 am

We should commemorate peace not war. 20 million people gave their lives in the war to end all wars. It ended nothing.
WGAF?

Postby LordRaven » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:35 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:there's estimated to be between 7 and 13 thousand ex-military on the streets, many with mental health issues, and many with service stretching back to the Falklands

it's a national disgrace and I'm more than happy for my poppy money to go towards picking up the pieces that politics leaves behind

(in the 90's it was estimated that something like 20% of homeless males in London had a service background)

I took my mate, who was in charge of stretcher bearers on Mount Tumbledown, out for drinks recently. I did my bit.
And I bought a poppy --well picked one up and dropped £2 into the donation box.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Dean » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm

LordRaven wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:there's estimated to be between 7 and 13 thousand ex-military on the streets, many with mental health issues, and many with service stretching back to the Falklands

I took my mate, who was in charge of stretcher bearers on Mount Tumbledown, out for drinks recently. I did my bit.

You have a mate that relates to the topic of the thread, and seen him recently? What a fucking shock!!!
Dean

Postby LordRaven » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:37 pm

WGAF? wrote:We should commemorate peace not war. 20 million people gave their lives in the war to end all wars. It ended nothing.

Surely it was more than that? Worldwide I mean.

That nasty Spanish Flu killed far more people thereafter though...

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet's population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans.12 Oct 2010
Spanish Flu - HISTORY
https://www.history.com/topics/world-wa ... u-pandemic
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Dean wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

You have a mate that relates to the topic of the thread, and seen him recently? What a fucking shock!!!

Lots actually Dean, I was in for 12 years and my battalion went up Mount Tumbledown and a few got killed and many were wounded in life changing ways.

Being a war dodger, on an extra regimental posting for a period of two years, I never went myself --something I regretted at the time but today I am no longer bothered.

On Saturday I was getting lots of calls and text messages to go and join them all in Wellington Barracks but my days of marching are long gone.
Last edited by LordRaven on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 pm

The latter I feel, based purely on my own experiences of old comrades
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:59 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Dean wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Lots actually Dean, I was in for 12 years and my battalion went up Mount Tumbledown and a few got killed and many were wounded in life changing ways.

Being a war dodger, on an extra regimental posting for a period of two years, I never went myself --something I regretted at the time but today I am no longer bothered.

On Saturday I was getting lots of calls and text messages to go and join them all in Wellington Barracks but my days of marching are long gone.

Amazing to think this went to number one in the charts post falklands conflict....

The guy who wrote it has passed away.

Argentine Marines (professionals -not conscripts) defended that. First bayonet charge since WW2 too.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Dean » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Nurse! He’s escaped again!
Dean

Postby Gabby » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:31 pm

I hope you all wore your poppy with the leaf pointing to 11 o’ clock? :snooty:
Gabby

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms