Time to end this fiasco - time for a second vote!

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Time to end this fiasco - time for a second vote!

Postby Goodwife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:44 pm

McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:
McAz wrote:Ah, you favour the extremist's position - so no compassion or care for the millions who will suffer.

As Stooo explained our treaty obligations don't allow for what you propose - and if we unilaterally break our international treaties and renege on our existing deals why should anyone trust us when negotiating new trade deals etc?

It may seem extreme but with all negiotiations you both start poles apart & work towards satisfying both sides or you walk away. The goverment pretty much started over the halfway line then continued to concede. The EU has barely had to bend. Brexit in the way they are proposing is ridiculous & a big fat joke

Do the treaties really say we should discuss every step & comment we make in the press & in the commons? Surely instead of it all being pointlessly debated. I think Labour & the petty point scoring helped the mess we are in. Surely they could have set up a task force to negiotiate with the EU?

Leaving with no deal is extreme, it doesn't just seem it. Those who advocate it do so for sinister nationalistic reasons, financial gain or personal power.

I do agree though that Corbyn could have done better - especially before the referendum.

But if you play the game properly it shouldn't be the end result & that'sthe point. The EU have played hardball we played softball :gigglesnshit: people seem to forget that the EU will lose out if there is no deal & so should be wanting to avoid that

Our starting position should have been more extreme & the threat of no deal should be a real thing to force the EU to play our game & not theirs
Goodwife

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 pm

none of you botherd trying to understand exactly what was asked of the electorate, pro or anti! and now the pro europeans want to ignore a democratic vote that I seriously doubt was ever ligitimate. for once could the People just suck it up and provide solutions that don't involve changing the decision of the ruling mob? I don't even watch tv, and rarely listen to the radio.

"there are no problems, only solutions."
art0hur0moh

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Goodwife wrote:
McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:
McAz wrote:Ah, you favour the extremist's position - so no compassion or care for the millions who will suffer.

As Stooo explained our treaty obligations don't allow for what you propose - and if we unilaterally break our international treaties and renege on our existing deals why should anyone trust us when negotiating new trade deals etc?

It may seem extreme but with all negiotiations you both start poles apart & work towards satisfying both sides or you walk away. The goverment pretty much started over the halfway line then continued to concede. The EU has barely had to bend. Brexit in the way they are proposing is ridiculous & a big fat joke

Do the treaties really say we should discuss every step & comment we make in the press & in the commons? Surely instead of it all being pointlessly debated. I think Labour & the petty point scoring helped the mess we are in. Surely they could have set up a task force to negiotiate with the EU?

Leaving with no deal is extreme, it doesn't just seem it. Those who advocate it do so for sinister nationalistic reasons, financial gain or personal power.

I do agree though that Corbyn could have done better - especially before the referendum.

But if you play the game properly it shouldn't be the end result & that'sthe point. The EU have played hardball we played softball :gigglesnshit: people seem to forget that the EU will lose out if there is no deal & so should be wanting to avoid that

Our starting position should have been more extreme & the threat of no deal should be a real thing to force the EU to play our game & not theirs

What it should have been is polluted water under the bridge - it's the present we must deal with. And the present gives us the option of crashing out, the deal, or staying in. Staying in is the most sensible of course.
McAz

Postby Goodwife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 pm

McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:
McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:

What it should have been is polluted water under the bridge - it's the present we must deal with. And the present gives us the option of crashing out, the deal, or staying in. Staying in is the most sensible of course.

Staying in, is not a realistic option. It's undemocratic. People voted leave so that should be delivered. I don't think the Deal really delivers what people voted for.
Goodwife

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Goodwife wrote:Staying in, is not a realistic option. It's undemocratic. People voted leave so that should be delivered. I don't think the Deal really delivers what people voted for.

The referendum question simply said in or out - what did you think they voted for? :scratch:
McAz

Postby Wilson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm

McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:

If we leave with Theresa May's Deal, signed, sealed & delivered, we're stuck with it, there's no coming back from it.
As scary as No Deal is at least it offers options for further discussions if/when we have another government.
Wilson

Postby Goodwife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm

McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:Staying in, is not a realistic option. It's undemocratic. People voted leave so that should be delivered. I don't think the Deal really delivers what people voted for.

The referendum question simply said in or out - what did you think they voted for? :scratch:

To leave the EU completely, not not be bound by their laws, to end free movement of people, to leave the custom union/single market, to take control of our fishing waters

I think lots of people viewed it with their own reasons on why they wanted to vote out. I don't for one minute think all 17+million people all voted out for the same reason
Goodwife

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Wilson wrote:
McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:

If we leave with Theresa May's Deal, signed, sealed & delivered, we're stuck with it, there's no coming back from it.
As scary as No Deal is at least it offers options for further discussions if/when we have another government.

If I believed Labour could win against, say, a Boris led Tory Party then I would be willing to embrace the risk. I don't believe it can - so for now I will settle for second best, the deal, which at least buys us time. Essentially I don't care for party politics, just the welfare of the people. The risk of a hard Brexit is too great at this time.
Last edited by McAz on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Goodwife wrote:
McAz wrote:

To leave the EU completely, not not be bound by their laws, to end free movement of people, to leave the custom union/single market, to take control of our fishing waters

I think lots of people viewed it with their own reasons on why they wanted to vote out. I don't for one minute think all 17+million people all voted out for the same reason

We are leaving it completely, (evidenced for instance by you being stripped of your right to vote and settle in the EU) - but with a trade deal. All deals require compromise - just as any new ones will.
McAz

Postby Wilson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:22 pm

McAz wrote:
Wilson wrote:
McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:

If I believed Labour could win against, say, a Boris led Tory Party then I would be willing to embrace the risk. I don't believe it can - so for now I will settle for second best, the deal, which at least buys us time. Essentially I don't care for party politics, just the welfare of the people. The risk of a hard Brexit is too great at this time.

Theresa May's Deal doesn't buy us time!! Once it's signed sealed & delivered, that's it. You talk about "comprises", have you actually looked into how much we're compromising?? You're being hoodwinked into thinking this is our only option, it's not.

If you care about the welfare of people you need to care about politics. Nothing good ever came from subservient apathy. And Labour will win with a landslide at the next election so don't worry about that.
Wilson

Postby Goodwife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Wilson wrote:
McAz wrote:
Wilson wrote:
McAz wrote:
Goodwife wrote:

Theresa May's Deal doesn't buy us time!! Once it's signed sealed & delivered, that's it. You talk about "comprises", have you actually looked into how much we're compromising?? You're being hoodwinked into thinking this is our only option, it's not.

If you care about the welfare of people you need to care about politics. Nothing good ever came from subservient apathy. And Labour will win with a landslide at the next election so don't worry about that.

Like the last one?

I don't believe Corbyn will ever get voted in as PM
Goodwife

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Wilson wrote:Theresa May's Deal doesn't buy us time!! Once it's signed sealed & delivered, that's it. You talk about "comprises", have you actually looked into how much we're compromising?? You're being hoodwinked into thinking this is our only option, it's not.

Not that I have the slightest influence, but I'm not prepared to support anything that may lead to a hard Brexit - which would result if the likes of Boris took the reins. But there's a long road to travel yet, and first we we need to see if the hard-right really have the wherewithal to take over the Tory Party. I will of course support your party come the crunch, but I'm sorry, I don't share your optimism at this time.

Just for the record, I have a spent a lifetime as a labour (though not necessarily Labour Party) activist - subservient apathy really isn't my style. :smilin:
McAz

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Ken Clarke but he might be passed it I don't know.
Possibly Tony Blair.

Is Blair a tory now?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 pm

BUDGIE wrote:Hopefully this will force another Scottish independence vote, and we will vote YES this time...

Fucking fed up of being treated like second class citizens.

Second class :pmsl: You're way lower than that :pmsl:

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Ken Clarke but he might be passed it I don't know.
Possibly Tony Blair.

Is Blair a tory now?

Is that a trick question?
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms