What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

A right load of bollocks...

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby calitom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:12 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Pictures of Yorkshire puddings Tom ... simple batter mix.
https://www.google.com/search?q=yorkshi ... 45&bih=853


It looks familiar...and is bringingback some memories.I went to overnight camp as a kid in northern ontario canada. One of their meals at the lodge was the yorkshire pudding alongside roast beef and gravy.
I loved it!
User avatar
calitom
 
Posts: 3812
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:21 am

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Nucks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:16 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Pictures of Yorkshire puddings Tom ... simple batter mix.
https://www.google.com/search?q=yorkshi ... 45&bih=853


I think it’s the same batter used for crepes. My husband says the best tip to make yorkies is to ensure the oil in the tins is super hot.
User avatar
Nucks
 
Posts: 7136
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:59 am
Location: Behind the curtains

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Gabby » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm

For Y. Puds to rise it has to be plain flour.... SR flour, they’re flat and soggy :pukeup: ...... and DO NOT open the oven door before they’re done! :thumbsup:
Gabby
 
Posts: 18346
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Gabby » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:12 pm

Oh Hobbit... you’ve removed your post above mine! :gigglesnshit:
Gabby
 
Posts: 18346
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Gabby » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Low fat no fat skimmed semi skimmed products and complete alternatives started creeping into our shopping baskets mid 70's.
This is truly industrialised food.
As the low fat nonsense takes hold not far behind it is the growing waistlines and obesity and heart disease pattern.
You can see the two march side by side on a graph.
When I was a kid growing up in the fifties there were no fat free low semi etc products and few fat people.
Heart disease was rare.
People now talk about eating organic food ... it wasn't called that that when I was a kid it was called food.
Fat is not the enemy in your diet sugar is.
Sugar is an addictive and very pleasant drug with zero food value.
I has zero protein.
One fruit yoghurt pot can a half a dozen spoonfuls of sugar in it .... that cannot be sensible.
In fact it's downright dangerous.
If you don't see it as a dangerous addictive drug do without it for a month see how you feel.
It's hard stuff to avoid too.


People were much more active way back when, didn’t over eat and far less fast food outlets..... so everything was in moderation, which of course is how it should be!...... and anything ‘low fat’ is usually overloaded with sugar... not good!
Gabby
 
Posts: 18346
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby McHenry » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:57 pm

I eat full-fat, low-sugar - even have lard in the house. Blood pressure has fallen to 117/75 from around 140/90. Cholesterol from 6.9 to 4.2.

Jack knows what he's talking about.
User avatar
McHenry
 
Posts: 36040
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 pm

McAz wrote:
Jack knows what he's talking about.

I should print that off and frame it so I can say .... see .... some guy on the internet said ..... :smilin:
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 7746
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 am

very slow cooked brisket
buttered chard
honey roast parsnips
mashed carrots
horseradish
and lots of gravy

I may make a banoffee pie but with chocolate whipped cream on top
User avatar
HobbitFeet
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby George » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Roast lamb, roast potatoes roast parsnip and veg and some kind of pavlova dessert
User avatar
George
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Gabby wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Low fat no fat skimmed semi skimmed products and complete alternatives started creeping into our shopping baskets mid 70's.
This is truly industrialised food.
As the low fat nonsense takes hold not far behind it is the growing waistlines and obesity and heart disease pattern.
You can see the two march side by side on a graph.
When I was a kid growing up in the fifties there were no fat free low semi etc products and few fat people.
Heart disease was rare.
People now talk about eating organic food ... it wasn't called that that when I was a kid it was called food.
Fat is not the enemy in your diet sugar is.
Sugar is an addictive and very pleasant drug with zero food value.
I has zero protein.
One fruit yoghurt pot can a half a dozen spoonfuls of sugar in it .... that cannot be sensible.
In fact it's downright dangerous.
If you don't see it as a dangerous addictive drug do without it for a month see how you feel.
It's hard stuff to avoid too.


People were much more active way back when, didn’t over eat and far less fast food outlets..... so everything was in moderation, which of course is how it should be!...... and anything ‘low fat’ is usually overloaded with sugar... not good!

People ate a lot more fat and a lot less sugar and people walked more.
I ate dripping butties as a kid.
Sweets were a treat.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 7746
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Mr N is making something with chicken, pasta, and cheese and I’ve got a carrot cake baking atm. It will get a nice cream cheese frosting when it cools. :twirl:
User avatar
Nucks
 
Posts: 7136
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:59 am
Location: Behind the curtains

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Junglejayne » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Liver & onion with leek, cauli, broccoli & mash potato.

I have fruit and the makings of a meringue for dessert.
User avatar
Junglejayne
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby VR6storm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Garlic'y Filet Steak with Bearnaise Sauce, Croquette Potatoes, grilled Fresh Tomato, Onion Rings and Sauteed Chestnut Mushrooms. Pud is a slice of Apple Strudel with a good splodge of the old Yellow Peril!!

This evening's libation is a nice Cote Du Rhone to go with the Beef, and a small glass of Elysium Black Muscat dessert wine.

:drool:
User avatar
VR6storm
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Junglejayne wrote:Liver & onion with leek, cauli, broccoli & mash potato.

I have fruit and the makings of a meringue for dessert.

I love liver and onions!
I think tomorrow I might have liver and onions ..... watch this space.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 7746
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: What's on the menu tonight? Course 6

Postby Goodwife » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:37 pm

It is National Yorkshire Pudding day today

I had a roast in the pub at lunchtime :mrgreen:
User avatar
Goodwife
 
Posts: 8057
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests