Welcome back jra.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Welcome back jra.

Postby jra » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I'm not troubled by Grayling's decision - I don't use public transport. :snooty:

Then maybe you are part of the problem, not the solution.

I don't recognize the non-electrification of the Oxenholme to Windermere line as a problem. :dunno:

In fact, I really don't care if Windermere slips into the lake - it's a dreadful place, overrun with gormless southerners. :shake head:

It's a small branch, more a vanity project really. There are far more important electrification projects like Plymouth - Bristol - Birmingham, Reading - Newbury - Taunton - Plymouth and conversion from 3rd rail to 25 kv OLE of the lines south of the river. The last project in particular is going to be hugely expensive (up to £500 billion), so I cant see that happening anytime soon, but it will have to be done at some stage as 3rd rail is past it's sell by date for overground networks.

Chris Grayling is using bi-modal (diesel and electric in the same 'locomotive or carriage) as a get out clause for shelving certain projects, but they are a compromise, less environmentally friendly, noisier and heavier than standard electric trains. The UK has often taken the 3rd world approach to upgrading our railways saying it costs too much.

If you are ever up this way take the Cumbrian Coast Railway from, say, Millom to Workington - it passes through Sellafield which is worth the trip alone (you can play spot the missile silo). :gigglesnshit:

Part of it runs along the cliff edge - in fact, some of it fell into the sea a few years back. And the whole damn railway depends on some old git being bothered to operate the level crossing near Millom.

Much fun, and hours of waiting, can be had by all. :thumbsup:

I haven't been on that particular stretch of line (yet), but on similar like the Cambrian Coast Line and Dawlish Sea Wall. The latter is covered in Impossible Railways. Worth watching even if you're not into railways, for the engineering aspects alone.

Spoiler: show
DOCUMENTARY: Impossible Railways
On: Yesterday Plus 1 (255) (99 on Freeview)
Date: Monday 10th December 2018 (starting in 12 minutes)
Time: 01:00 to 02:00 (1 hour long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Waterworld.
From crossing the cyclone-prone Indian Ocean to travelling under the Bosphorus strait, discover how railway engineers have overcome the challenges presented by water.
(Last In Series, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described, Series 1, Episode 5)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Reminder: Impossible Railways' and 'Favourite: Impossible Railways' markers
Keywords: Documentary, Last In Series, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=45488

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

ETA. I appreciate that railway services could be better up your way, but look at it this way. Along Dawlish Sea Wall, trains only go at 60-70 mph, but I like it that way. It allows one more time to digest the fantastic scenery. It amuses me a lot of people are still playing with their devices or reading while all this gorgeous scenery is going past. Look out the window FFS.
jra

Re: Welcome back jra.

Postby jra » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:02 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I'm not troubled by Grayling's decision - I don't use public transport. :snooty:

Then maybe you are part of the problem, not the solution.

I don't recognize the non-electrification of the Oxenholme to Windermere line as a problem. :dunno:

In fact, I really don't care if Windermere slips into the lake - it's a dreadful place, overrun with gormless southerners. :shake head:

What is it about southerners you seem to have a problem with? That's a huge stereotype. Essentially there are only good people and bad people. It doesn't matter where they are from, what colour or ethnicity they are.

Not for me anyway.

Ffs can you stop taking all this shit so seriously you boring fucking wank stain!

Don't you think that's a bit over the top? Take some chill pills.

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Bloody hell rolly, what set you off?

What is it about southerners you seem to have a problem with? That's a huge stereotype. Essentially there are only good people and bad people. It doesn't matter where they are from, what colour or ethnicity they are.

That!
What a fuckingh tosser.

What’s wrong with that? Don’t you agree with the sentiment?

The whole fucking planet already know but he still has to tell us.
He makes my teeth itch .... even the plastic ones.

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Bloody hell rolly, what set you off?

That!
What a fuckingh tosser.

So I take it you're a bit stressed. No need to take it out on me.
jra

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms