Christmas Whine

A right load of bollocks...

Christmas Whine

Postby measurer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Having just gotten back from the "Christmas" shop, I am wondering why we put ourselves through all of it. It's not as if children know that it's about Jesus, in fact I think they think it's all to do with Saint Nick. How many mangers do you see compared to Santa's?

Crazy and anxious people going around shouting at each other, car jams and empty shelves - is this what we call a Celebration? I don't think so. Parents are all too concerned with how much they can buy for little Freddie's Christmas rather than showing what it's supposed to be about - Love, Peace, Goodwill and Family/Friends.

Maybe I'm just getting too jaded by it all now that I have no young kids to appease, but I often wish that we could choose to celebrate it or not, but no choice here, shops will close and services disrupted.

It's become far too geared towards emptying people's pockets. Glad to be home and away from the madness. Monday I dare say will be worse......

So, have you yet to brave the madding crowds? :ooer:
measurer

Re: Christmas Whine

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:55 pm

You aren't jaded, just realistic. This so-called holiday is for kiddies - and the desperate looking to get their end away.
McAz

Postby measurer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:10 pm

TBH? I could see it far enough McAz, but if I don't shop today, I'd be faced with madness on Monday/Christmas Eve. I will do my Goodwill, peace and love on Christmas day by helping those less fortunate.

Maybe that''s the answer - get kids to actually do something that is relevant to that day after they have opened their gifts, so that they know it's not all about Santa. :dunno:
measurer

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:17 pm

measurer wrote:TBH? I could see it far enough McAz, but if I don't shop today, I'd be faced with madness on Monday/Christmas Eve. I will do my Goodwill, peace and love through the Christmas day by helping those less fortunate.

Maybe that''s the answer - get kids to actually do something that is relevant to that day after they have opened their gifts, so that they know it's not all about Santa. :dunno:

Good luck with that - as a kid Xmas was all about getting stuff to me, I don't know if I knew what peace and goodwill even meant.

Children are best encouraged to care for their fellow humans on an everyday basis - but who knows, the example you set at Xmas may rub off? :cheers:
McAz

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:06 pm

measurer wrote:Having just gotten back from the "Christmas" shop, I am wondering why we put ourselves through all of it. It's not as if children know that it's about Jesus, in fact I think they think it's all to do with Saint Nick. How many mangers do you see compared to Santa's?

Crazy and anxious people going around shouting at each other, car jams and empty shelves - is this what we call a Celebration? I don't think so. Parents are all too concerned with how much they can buy for little Freddie's Christmas rather than showing what it's supposed to be about - Love, Peace, Goodwill and Family/Friends.

Maybe I'm just getting too jaded by it all now that I have no young kids to appease, but I often wish that we could choose to celebrate it or not, but no choice here, shops will close and services disrupted.

It's become far too geared towards emptying people's pockets. Glad to be home and away from the madness. Monday I dare say will be worse......

Jesus wasn't born in the winter. the date calculated from the Planetary Bodies invoking Wealth, Healing and Spirit aligned 7 years bc. about june or july the day if I recall correctly was the seventh. the 12 days was the period of celebration, the trunk was Yew and burned for the entire duration of festivities. on new years anyone crossing the threshold would need to bring coal (how long have We been using coal?) if they were not tall dark and handsome.

I never saw the point in waiting for a day to pass. what a Child wants in october can change by december. and You never know at what appointed time You will be summoned. cheap items are better for the few days after Christmas and big boxes on the day. I have an issue with buying plastic and have for a long time. Children are old enough now but have been spoiled by their Mum who buys things because She never got.

during the winter solstice, the Sun reaches it's lowest point in the winter sky, for three days it appears that the Sun nither moves up or down during midday. on the third day, the Sun starts its progression towards the summer solstice indicating an end to winter and the overcoming of the light against the dark.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:12 pm

is it Christmas yet? yes I like tradition, there is always a reason! even if We no longer know why it is a celebration across the tropic of cancer. there are elements of truth that may still be relevant to this day. is it Christmas yet? it's like ages and ages
art0hur0moh

Postby measurer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:50 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:is it Christmas yet? yes I like tradition, there is always a reason! even if We no longer know why it is a celebration across the tropic of cancer. there are elements of truth that may still be relevant to this day. is it Christmas yet? it's like ages and ages

Naw, it's the Winter Solstice - just hang on until Tuesday! :mrgreen:
measurer

Postby Text » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:14 pm

McAz wrote:
measurer wrote:TBH? I could see it far enough McAz, but if I don't shop today, I'd be faced with madness on Monday/Christmas Eve. I will do my Goodwill, peace and love through the Christmas day by helping those less fortunate.

Good luck with that - as a kid Xmas was all about getting stuff to me, I don't know if I knew what peace and goodwill even meant.

Children are best encouraged to care for their fellow humans on an everyday basis - but who knows, the example you set at Xmas may rub off? :cheers:

I am not materialist in the slightest and I always vigorously & pointedly reject gifts of watches, smartphones, expensive perfumes etc. Yawn!!
I gave nice gifts tho . . . . I'd have hated for him to feel deprived when growing up, just because of my beliefs. That would not have been fair on him.
Text

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:22 pm

measurer wrote:Having just gotten back from the "Christmas" shop, I am wondering why we put ourselves through all of it. It's not as if children know that it's about Jesus, in fact I think they think it's all to do with Saint Nick. How many mangers do you see compared to Santa's?

I keep it all to the bare minimum - you don't have to do all the stuff that you're "expected" to do. When your kids were young you were probably the same as the people who are annoying you now. The shops won't be closed for long, so just make the most of a nice quiet couple of days.
Raggamuffin

Postby Text » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:23 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:

Jesus wasn't born in the winter. the date calculated from the Planetary Bodies invoking Wealth, Healing and Spirit aligned 7 years bc. about june or july the day if I recall correctly was the seventh. the 12 days was the period of celebration, the trunk was Yew and burned for the entire duration of festivities. on new years anyone crossing the threshold would need to bring coal (how long have We been using coal?) if they were not tall dark and handsome.

I never saw the point in waiting for a day to pass. what a Child wants in october can change by december. and You never know at what appointed time You will be summoned. cheap items are better for the few days after Christmas and big boxes on the day. I have an issue with buying plastic and have for a long time. Children are old enough now but have been spoiled by their Mum who buys things because She never got.

during the winter solstice, the Sun reaches it's lowest point in the winter sky, for three days it appears that the Sun nither moves up or down during midday. on the third day, the Sun starts its progression towards the summer solstice indicating an end to winter and the overcoming of the light against the dark.

I have the same views as Macaz.
If you want to teach kids to be caring & socially aware, you need to do so all year long, not just on xmas day.
And you need to do so by example.
Text

Postby Fletch » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I keep it all to the bare minimum - you don't have to do all the stuff that you're "expected" to do. When your kids were young you were probably the same as the people who are annoying you now. The shops won't be closed for long, so just make the most of a nice quiet couple of days.

More

:Lucia:

than

:warmfire:

Then
Fletch

Postby Text » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:26 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:

If you want to teach kids to be caring & socially aware, you need to do so all year long, not just on xmas day.
Text

Postby Bessie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Text wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

Deja vu. :gigglesnshit:
Bessie

Postby Fletch » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Text wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

Err... :ooer:
Fletch

Postby Text » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I keep it all to the bare minimum - you don't have to do all the stuff that you're "expected" to do. When your kids were young you were probably the same as the people who are annoying you now. The shops won't be closed for long,

so just make the most of a nice quiet couple of days.

This.

I have a huge clan. But they are never invited at Christmas.
It's usually just us 3 to cook for. . . . or sometimes 4 (long story).
As much as I luv them all, cooking for a large clan is the very definition of hell, sorry! :yikes:
Text

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms