It's a Beautiful Day

A right load of bollocks...

Re: It's a Beautiful Day

Postby jra » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:
Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:Why don't you do your own research and find out?

I'm not an expert entomologist.

Why don't you back up your claims, you seem sure of them.

A simple wiki on pollination will tell you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollination

The first two sentences.

Pollination is the transfer of pollen from a male part of a plant to a female part of a plant, enabling later fertilisation and the production of seeds, most often by an animal or by wind.[1] Pollinating agents are animals such as insects, birds, and bats; water; wind; and even plants themselves, when self-pollination occurs within a closed flower.

That's actually nothing. I need more than a bland C/P after you have inferred that insects should be wiped out.

Where did I say insects should be wiped out? I said there are others means of pollination other than insects. That does not mean that insects aren't important for pollination (they are), nor does it mean they should be wiped out.
jra

Postby jra » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Stooo wrote:Asking for some sort of source is hardly baiting. I'd google such an easily disprovable claim myself but why should me or BC do that? We didn't make such an outrageous opinion.

What outrageous claim? Let's just clarify this. I said pollination can be done by other means. That does not mean all pollination can be done by other means, for the pedants amongst us.
jra

Postby Stooo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:24 pm

jra wrote:
Stooo wrote:Asking for some sort of source is hardly baiting. I'd google such an easily disprovable claim myself but why should me or BC do that? We didn't make such an outrageous opinion.

What outrageous claim? Let's just clarify this. I said pollination can be done by other means. That does not mean all pollination can be done by other means, for the pedants amongst us.

Is that what is was? 3.7/10
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Gabby » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:46 pm

We’d be fucked without bees.... food supplies would diminish drastically, and what’s available would increase greatly in price!..... encourage and save our bees! :yess:
Gabby

Postby jra » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Gabby wrote:We’d be fucked without bees.... food supplies would diminish drastically, and what’s available would increase greatly in price!..... encourage and save our bees! :yess:

I've said similar in the past, but .....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45295&p=1587344&sid=7ec0848676455febb64fe3b9fdbe96a9#p1587344

and the next few posts.

I'm a member of the RSPB and found this from their literature.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/conser ... -reporting
Last edited by jra on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jra

Postby banana chewits » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Gabby wrote:We’d be fucked without bees.... food supplies would diminish drastically, and what’s available would increase greatly in price!..... encourage and save our bees! :yess:

i wouldn't have any honey, either!
banana chewits

Postby jra » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 pm

banana chewits wrote:

Some kinds of honey are more equal than others, e.g. fake honey, adulterated honey.

It's the usual. If the producers can find a cheaper substitute which is nearly as good tastewise then they can make more money. I'd say to be sure you are getting the real deal, you'd need to source directly from a local beekeeper, rather than from a retail outlet.
jra

Postby banana chewits » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 pm

jra wrote:
banana chewits wrote:

Some kinds of honey are more equal than others, e.g. fake honey, adulterated honey.

It's the usual. If the producers can find a cheaper substitute which is nearly as good tastewise then they can make more money. I'd say to be sure you are getting the real deal, you'd need to source directly from a local beekeeper, rather than from a retail outlet.

what's fake honey?
banana chewits

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:35 pm

banana chewits wrote:
jra wrote:
banana chewits wrote:

what's fake honey?

Google the great honey laundering scam ... I can't be bothered just now.
Adulterated with syrup and that's respectable household names ... Youtubes to show you how to test it.
Then there's cheap chemically laced Chinese stuff that is illegal here but gets sold to Vietnam then on toAustralia or wherever and it eventually finds it's way here.
And thats the big houisehold names involved.
As was said it's worth paying more for local.
Fuck me I'd have been quicker Googling.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby banana chewits » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
banana chewits wrote:
jra wrote:
banana chewits wrote:

what's fake honey?

Google the great honey laundering scam ... I can't be bothered just now.
Adulterated with syrup and that's respectable household names ... Youtubes to show you how to test it.
Then there's cheap chemically laced Chinese stuff that is illegal here but gets sold to Vietnam then on toAustralia or wherever and it eventually finds it's way here.
And thats the big houisehold names involved.
As was said it's worth paying more for local.
Fuck me I'd have been quicker Googling.

thanks, rollup.
banana chewits

Postby Fletch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:38 pm

And beware GM foods, Bayer/Monsanto.

Doing more to eradicate nature than cars and trucks ever could do.
Fletch

Postby banana chewits » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54 pm

banana chewits wrote:
jra wrote:
banana chewits wrote:

what's fake honey?

i forgot to say you're right about getting it from a local beekeper, thank you.
banana chewits

Postby banana chewits » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Fletch wrote:And beware GM foods, Bayer/Monsanto.

Doing more to eradicate nature than cars and trucks ever could do.

frankenfood.
banana chewits

Postby jra » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 pm

banana chewits wrote:
banana chewits wrote:
jra wrote:
banana chewits wrote:

what's fake honey?

No worries. Proper honey also has a lot of other health benefits, if you're interested.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10 ... #section10

(One of a number of links.)

On the anti-oxidant side. Raw honey has been found in Egyptian pyramids and is still edible after 3000 years. That should tell you something. You know. Best Before Date: Never.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/h ... amids.aspx
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 am

jra wrote:
banana chewits wrote:
banana chewits wrote:
jra wrote:Some kinds of honey are more equal than others, e.g. fake honey, adulterated honey.

what's fake honey?

No worries. Proper honey also has a lot of other health benefits, if you're interested.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10 ... #section10

(One of a number of links.)

On the anti-oxidant side. Raw honey has been found in Egyptian pyramids and is still edible after 3000 years. That should tell you something. You know. Best Before Date: Never.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/h ... amids.aspx

Personally JR I have always been convinced there is something near magical about honey.
I remember thinking and feeling it as a kid when I didn't like it much but always had a spooonful now and then.
Then over the years came all the writings about the stuff even the NHS using it on burns.
In my mind it became ever more magical until diabetes set in .... what to do now?
Fuck it I thought and I try and make sure to have a half teaspoon here and there in drinks and food.
So it spikes my blood a little and rapidly it's gone down again.
I'm convinced it does me far more good than any harm it might do.
What do I base this all on .... :dunno:
Magical thinking and of course the latest health news stuff here and there.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms