International Ladies Day

A right load of bollocks...

International Ladies Day

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Dean reminded me that today is in honour of all ladies who have improved this World, simply by raising their voices or inventing things that change the World.

Who is the female you most admire?

Grace Hopper would be who I paid homage to, for without her, we would have no internet as she developed computer programming.
measurer

Re: International Ladies Day

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Joni Mitchell.
McAz

Postby Dean » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:02 pm

Mine would be CannyG, Cunning girl, Canny, Canary, Text etc...

How she manages to function and run a forum with her obvious mental difficulties is an inspiration to all the split arses out there...
Dean

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm

I bought an excellent book the other day for hobbit jnr (and for me too)

it's a new one called 'Women, Our History' and it basically covers history with women as the focus, it's full of all sorts of stuff that turns the original patriarchal writings of history on their head - stuff like Neolithic women's arms were 16% stronger than a modern day rower's, they didn't just sit in caves they were out there hunting and partaking in all the stuff that is attributed to men, also cave paintings have been analysed and many were created by women, so women were some of the very earliest artists although art history often entirely obliterates any contribution women have made

which brings me to the woman I most admire, it has to be Frida Kahlo, just because
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:I bought an excellent book the other day for hobbit jnr (and for me too)

it's a new one called 'Women, Our History' and it basically covers history with women as the focus, it's full of all sorts of stuff that turns the original patriarchal writings of history on their head - stuff like Neolithic women's arms were 16% stronger than a modern day rower's, they didn't just sit in caves they were out there hunting and partaking in all the stuff that is attributed to men, also cave paintings have been analysed and many were created by women, so women were some of the very earliest artists although art history often entirely obliterates any contribution women have made

which brings me to the woman I most admire, it has to be Frida Kahlo, just because

Hmm. In many cultures women not men decorate the home. I'm not sure the cave paintings carry much significance. A greater travesty still impacting on modern times was the suppression of God's missus, Asherah.

Frida is a good choice though. :thumbsup:
I'll add Maya Angelou to the women in the arts category.
McAz

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:19 pm

McAz wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:I bought an excellent book the other day for hobbit jnr (and for me too)

Hmm. In many cultures women not men decorate the home. I'm not sure the cave paintings carry much significance. A greater travesty still impacting on modern times was the suppression of God's missus, Asherah.

misogynist :mrgreen:
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:20 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
McAz wrote:

misogynist :mrgreen:

I have a tan too. :ooer:
McAz

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:21 pm

I would just like to add - Florence Nightingale, and I would add the story but I am sure you are all aware of her actions. :)
measurer

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:23 pm

here's the link in case anyone is interested, it's a good dip in, dip out sort of book, and good if you have a child doing GCSE history

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Our-Hist ... 0241353920
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:25 pm

jeez... so many!

Amelia Earhart.

and Rosa Parks
Vam

Postby Dean » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Vam wrote:jeez... so many!

Amelia Earhart.

and Rosa Parks

Cliche alert!!!!!! :bell:
Dean

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 pm

good job this isn't DS, there would have been numerous posts about it being all about the wimmin
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:27 pm

measurer wrote:I would just like to add - Florence Nightingale, and I would add the story but I am sure you are all aware of her actions. :)

Obvious choice! :thumbsup: ... and Marie Curie.
Vam

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:27 pm

There are many, Vam and I think we should name as many as we can, for many of them, their achievements were overlooked or not recognised enough. Today is their day. :wubbers:
measurer

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm

This is a good read, I've used it in various guises recently

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/maga ... mming.html

Almost 200 years ago, the first person to be what we would now call a coder was, in fact, a woman: Lady Ada Lovelace. As a young mathematician in England in 1833, she met Charles Babbage, an inventor who was struggling to design what he called the Analytical Engine, which would be made of metal gears and able to execute if/then commands and store information in memory. Enthralled, Lovelace grasped the enormous potential of a device like this. A computer that could modify its own instructions and memory could be far more than a rote calculator, she realized. To prove it, Lovelace wrote what is often regarded as the first computer program in history, an algorithm with which the Analytical Engine would calculate the Bernoulli sequence of numbers. (She wasn’t shy about her accomplishments: “That brain of mine is something more than merely mortal; as time will show,” she once wrote.) But Babbage never managed to build his computer, and Lovelace, who died of cancer at 36, never saw her code executed.
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms