Favourite Childhood Sweets/Crisps

A right load of bollocks...

Favourite Childhood Sweets/Crisps

Postby measurer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:32 pm

I hanker after a packet of Burton's Potato Puffs. Used to be able to get them off the ice cream van, but seems Burtons have stopped making them. :bawlin:

What did you like as a child but can't get nowadays?
measurer

Re: Favourite Childhood Sweets/Crisps

Postby Sweet tooth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 pm

measurer wrote:I hanker after a packet of Burton's Potato Puffs. Used to be able to get them off the ice cream van, but seems Burtons have stopped making them. :bawlin:

What did you like as a child but can't get nowadays?

Little flying saucer shaped things full of sherbet that melted on the tongue and lime sweets filled with chocolate
Sweet tooth

Postby measurer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Oh, I love them too! Flying saucers, that was their name. I just walked by the chocolate limes, but you can still get both. I don't much like chocolate, so I wouldn't nick them from you. lol
measurer

Postby Nucks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:41 pm

I loved cereal as a kid, these were my favourites.

There’s probably a way to import them but not worth the cost.
Nucks

Postby measurer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Making me homesick now! Nearest I got to any imports when I was young was Cheerios. You'd think they'd have had them here seeing we have Quaker & Kelloggs, but nope.
measurer

Postby Sweet tooth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:47 pm

measurer wrote:Oh, I love them too! Flying saucers, that was their name. I just walked by the chocolate limes, but you can still get both. I don't much like chocolate, so I wouldn't nick them from you. lol

Sherbet dabs and liquorice imps were nice too, but I also remember being able to buy a bag called a lucky dip which had various goodies Inside.
Sweet tooth

Postby Stooo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Lemon bonbons, stealth toffee...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Nucks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:49 pm

measurer wrote:Making me homesick now! Nearest I got to any imports when I was young was Cheerios. You'd think they'd have had them here seeing we have Quaker & Kelloggs, but nope.

I used to think wigwag chocolate bars were extinct but curly wurly’s are pretty much the same thing. It’s been a few years since I had one.

Canadian choc/sweets I miss: Eatmore, O’henry, Bridge Mixture, and Cherry Blossoms. :wubbers:
Nucks

Postby measurer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:15 pm

Never really ate sweets until I came to this country, mum was precious about our teeth and how much it cost to have dental care over there. Maybe a good thing, as Scotland at one time had terrible teeth, and they blamed it on pop and sweets. Having moved here and ate some of their own sweets, such as tablet - I can see why! :yikes:
measurer

Postby Stooo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:21 pm

measurer wrote:Never really ate sweets until I came to this country, mum was precious about our teeth and how much it cost to have dental care over there. Maybe a good thing, as Scotland at one time had terrible teeth, and they blamed it on pop and sweets. Having moved here and ate some of their own sweets, such as tablet - I can see why! :yikes:

I was always encouraged to brush my teeth by my mum and dad and even though I've gilded the lily a bit with them I always get high scores from the dentist. Giving up smoking has improved my gums as well.

I used to love sweets as a kid but they were rare treats, too much sugar at a young age has been proven to cause type 2 diabetes in kids and also obesity. It was never the fat, it was always the sugar.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Was never into sweets crisps fizzy drinks etc.
Was never into snacking either. Three meals a day often two meals away and that's why I think I must of got my T2 off a dirty toilet seat in a greasy spoon.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:22 pm

measurer wrote:Never really ate sweets until I came to this country, mum was precious about our teeth and how much it cost to have dental care over there. Maybe a good thing, as Scotland at one time had terrible teeth, and they blamed it on pop and sweets. Having moved here and ate some of their own sweets, such as tablet - I can see why! :yikes:

Aye and deep fried mars bars too

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Was never into sweets crisps fizzy drinks etc.
Was never into snacking either. Three meals a day often two meals away and that's why I think I must of got my T2 off a dirty toilet seat in a greasy spoon.

Arsehole injected diabetes :yikes:

Postby Stooo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Was never into sweets crisps fizzy drinks etc.

Yours is age related.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby measurer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Guest wrote:

Aye and deep fried mars bars too

Bit of a myth that one Guest. Yes, maybe 3 or 4 shops serve it, but I have never seen it on any menu or chip shop board up here. Must be gross though. Same as Buckfast sausages - wtf thinks of these things???
measurer

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms