We are not The Durrels but what happens in your garden

A right load of bollocks...

Re: We are not The Durrels but what happens in your garden

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Vam wrote:I see loads of parakeets dotted around, along with bog standard sparrows, and some beautiful yellow/bright blue feathered birds (no clue what they're called! :oops: ). Flocks of starlings put on a show around sunset.

Lots of geckos, and dragonflies that congregate around the water. Bees buzz around the hibiscus and lavender, and I can always hear a cicada convention chirping to each other off and on throughout the day.

That's mostly it, because my dogs fly out like Exocet missiles at the slightest hint of rustling or movement in the shrubbery.

Which country are you in please?

Fantasy island by the sounds :mrgreen:

Postby Vam » Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Vam wrote:I see loads of parakeets dotted around, along with bog standard sparrows, and some beautiful yellow/bright blue feathered birds (no clue what they're called! :oops: ). Flocks of starlings put on a show around sunset.

Lots of geckos, and dragonflies that congregate around the water. Bees buzz around the hibiscus and lavender, and I can always hear a cicada convention chirping to each other off and on throughout the day.

That's mostly it, because my dogs fly out like Exocet missiles at the slightest hint of rustling or movement in the shrubbery.

Andalucia, Spain
Vam

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2019 7:08 pm

LordRaven wrote:

S'cunt'horpe UK.

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Vam wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Andalucia, Spain

That's the same place rockape came from funny enough?

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2019 7:19 pm

last summer we had a bad case of Mosquitoes in the back garden. Had to get guys in to spray the place so this year I was thinking of how to introduce a natural enemy of the mosquito and the plants that would attract them.

I read up on it last night, planning on getting the landscapers to plant new flowers etc. It turns out Dragonflies are the natural enemy of mosquitoes and can eat them at a phenomenal rate. To attract the Dragonflies I need to build a pond. The exact same thing that fucking attracts Mosquitoes :pmsl:

Postby HobbitFeet » Thu May 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Guest wrote:last summer we had a bad case of Mosquitoes in the back garden. Had to get guys in to spray the place so this year I was thinking of how to introduce a natural enemy of the mosquito and the plants that would attract them.

I read up on it last night, planning on getting the landscapers to plant new flowers etc. It turns out Dragonflies are the natural enemy of mosquitoes and can eat them at a phenomenal rate. To attract the Dragonflies I need to build a pond. The exact same thing that fucking attracts Mosquitoes :pmsl:

how odd

you find prey in the same place as the predators :roll:

fucksake
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Guest wrote:
Vam wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Andalucia, Spain

That's the same place rockape came from funny enough?

I doubt Vam has ever come across the Rockape personae who posted on SOL, as far as I know she never posted there.
Bella

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Guest wrote:last summer we had a bad case of Mosquitoes in the back garden. Had to get guys in to spray the place so this year I was thinking of how to introduce a natural enemy of the mosquito and the plants that would attract them.

how odd

fucksake

Dragonflies hovering around stagnant ponds, in which mozzies lay their eggs and their larvae swim around in great numbers before hatching? I wonder where dragonfly larvae hatch? :srs?:

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Guest wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

how odd

fucksake

Dragonflies hovering around stagnant ponds, in which mozzies lay their eggs and their larvae swim around in great numbers before hatching? I wonder where dragonfly larvae hatch? :srs?:

Google is your friend, Like you didn't look it up :pmsl:

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Exocet? missiles :pmsl: superb description. just checked exocett, a ship killer used in the malvinas! and britain thinks it won that war? I think the british navy owes the argentine army some gratitude!
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 pm

I like the winter when the nettles have died back. the Robins in the naibourhood feed on the Insects on the plants. I don't cut the Grass, or disrupt a large area at one time. the diversity I have in My garden is very high. I would leave the front gate open for them, though aldi built a solid fence at the back of My garden, foxes and hedgehogs no longer visit. the first 4 years in the house I had house martins till houses where built less than 100 yards. now the martins have no resourses to build. wondering if I can provide the clay in My garden for them again. I see them check the corners every year. they just have no building material. Think I will ask Chris Peckham? wanted to work with the rspb for decades, doubt it will happen any time soon? then again I have just over half a year to find out.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Guest wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

how odd

fucksake

moziquitos breed in stagnant water. so all water ways around communities should be in flow. the best tree You could get is the Nem tree from india. no insect likes the plant. grinding the leaves and spray curtains, walls, furnishings, Your self. they even make a pill that stops all insect attacks in their tracks.
art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:butterflies are quite discerning about which plants they are attracted to

I find they love my Californian lilac and lavenders - I think they are known for their attraction to buddleia too

Buddleia is also known as the 'butterfly bush'.

Amazingly the other day I saw what looked like a Chalkhill Blue butterfly flying around the urban area near me. I'll also be on the lookout for Red Kites which you can see sometimes in this area. Luton is near the Chiltern Hills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kite#United_Kingdom
jra

Postby Bessie » Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 am

jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:butterflies are quite discerning about which plants they are attracted to

I find they love my Californian lilac and lavenders - I think they are known for their attraction to buddleia too

Buddleia is also known as the 'butterfly bush'.

Amazingly the other day I saw what looked like a Chalkhill Blue butterfly flying around the urban area near me. I'll also be on the lookout for Red Kites which you can see sometimes in this area. Luton is near the Chiltern Hills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kite#United_Kingdom

I get plenty of those flying over my garden, amazingly beautiful creatures.
Bessie

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms