English signs for English roads or some such crap

A right load of bollocks...

Re: English signs for English roads or some such crap

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 pm

jra wrote:They're going to have to add a fair few more languages to the list, like Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Portuguese, Italian, Flemish etc. The question is where do you draw the line?

It's technically a good idea, but very likely to drown in feature creep.

The way I understand they work is that they read the numberplate and then display the relevant languages, I'm guessing that the number of languages it can display is infinite once the relevant data is programmed in

I see loads of stuff like this on my morning travels, the CI is mostly rehashed press releases but it's a good starting point
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby jra » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:56 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
jra wrote:They're going to have to add a fair few more languages to the list, like Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Portuguese, Italian, Flemish etc. The question is where do you draw the line?

The way I understand they work is that they read the numberplate and then display the relevant languages, I'm guessing that the number of languages it can display is infinite once the relevant data is programmed in

I see loads of stuff like this on my morning travels, the CI is mostly rehashed press releases but it's a good starting point

I know they have ANPR for UK number plates. I'm not sure how effective the system is for number plates from abroad.
jra

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 am

jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

I know they have ANPR for UK number plates. I'm not sure how effective the system is for number plates from abroad.

no, nor me, but they seem to think that it recognises the country of origin of numberplates, maybe there is an international database? of course that doesn't neccessarily mean that the driver has the same first language as the origin of the numberplate
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

HobbitFeet wrote:
jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

no, nor me, but they seem to think that it recognises the country of origin of numberplates, maybe there is an international database? of course that doesn't neccessarily mean that the driver has the same first language as the origin of the numberplate

APNR can read EU plates, and has been able to for years.
McAz

Postby jra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:07 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

Last bit is certainly true.
jra

Postby Fletch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:10 pm

jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

You know a lot about truck driving and foreign vehicle's and their drivers then jra?
Fletch

Postby Jobless Oddball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Have any of the forums international jetset been abroad and seen a sign in English??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:

Where the countries 1st language isn't English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jobless Oddball

Postby jra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

You know a lot about truck driving and foreign vehicle's and their drivers then jra?

You don't need to. It's just plain common sense.
jra

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Jobless Oddball wrote:Have any of the forums international jetset been abroad and seen a sign in English??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:

McAz

Postby jra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Jobless Oddball wrote:Have any of the forums international jetset been abroad and seen a sign in English??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:

I don't know about road signs, but there were plenty of billboard adverts written in English in Germany/Switzerland and this was back in the 80's. Some Japanese high-speed trains (Shinkansen) have English onboard announcements.

Shinkansen Ride in Japan

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOUtbFIZ-D4&t=3m40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOUtbFIZ-D4&t=7m40s

And you won't see any English train staff bow to the passengers as they leave one carriage and enter another. :yikes:
jra

Postby Jobless Oddball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:13 pm

McAz wrote:Image

Is that a yes or a no?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:
Jobless Oddball

Postby Jobless Oddball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 pm

jra wrote:
Some Japanese high-speed trains (Shinkansen) have English onboard announcements.

And you won't see any English train staff bow to the passengers as they leave one carriage and enter another. :yikes:

Not all Japanese train staff, on the Shinkansen, bow as they leave one carriage and enter another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Jobless Oddball

Postby McAz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Jobless Oddball wrote:
McAz wrote:Image

Is that a yes or a no?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:

It's whatever you want it to be.
McAz

Postby Fletch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 pm

jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:Last bit is certainly true.

How does that work then jra?

Are you suggesting foreign truck companies don't employ anyone from the country it's registered in?
Fletch

Postby jra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:Last bit is certainly true.

How does that work then jra?

Are you suggesting foreign truck companies don't employ anyone from the country it's registered in?

Why is it always or never with some people.

It's possible that some truck companies employ some people not from the country the truck company is registered in.

And Hobbit raised the original point not me. Why don't you tackle her about it?
jra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms