The £10 packet of cigarettes.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby LordRaven » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:50 am

BUDGIE wrote:I'll tell you what, up here in Scotland the drink prices are getting out of order. The smokes?? I don't understand why you'd pay cash for something that does you no good whatsoever.

And before someone says "beer's like that!" - not in moderation it's not. It raises your HDL levels, lets you relax.. gives you an excuse to make a c**t of yourself.... shag horrors etc.

Pint of Coors in the Toby Jug pub - £4.50. Stalkers welcome to go in there and check for themselves. This is for a working class pub that had its windows panned in by cowardly Tims not so long ago. Upmarket it is not.

It's getting ridiculous to go have a night out with mates and end up spending £100 for about 6 hours of fun. JRA could rent a pro for that!!!!

It is the same down here, although even more expensive I am willing to bet. Pints are expensive now and I have curtailed going out so often because of it.
Where you are the Horrors, as you call them, will be crying in their drinks because all their chances at a romp will be at watching football or movies home having stocked up the fridge with cheap booze from the supermarket.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby BUDGIE » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 am

LordRaven wrote:
BUDGIE wrote:I'll tell you what, up here in Scotland the drink prices are getting out of order. The smokes?? I don't understand why you'd pay cash for something that does you no good whatsoever.

And before someone says "beer's like that!" - not in moderation it's not. It raises your HDL levels, lets you relax.. gives you an excuse to make a c**t of yourself.... shag horrors etc.

Pint of Coors in the Toby Jug pub - £4.50. Stalkers welcome to go in there and check for themselves. This is for a working class pub that had its windows panned in by cowardly Tims not so long ago. Upmarket it is not.

It's getting ridiculous to go have a night out with mates and end up spending £100 for about 6 hours of fun. JRA could rent a pro for that!!!!

It is the same down here, although even more expensive I am willing to bet. Pints are expensive now and I have curtailed going out so often because of it.
Where you are the Horrors, as you call them, will be crying in their drinks because all their chances at a romp will be at watching football or movies home having stocked up the fridge with cheap booze from the supermarket.

That's why the populations of Coatbridge, Blantyre, Motherwell, Airdrie are dwindling.... :trollface:

I don't like drinking in my house - it feels antisocial somehow.
BUDGIE
What the fuck?

Postby LordRaven » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:17 am

BUDGIE wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

That's why the populations of Coatbridge, Blantyre, Motherwell, Airdrie are dwindling.... :trollface:

Yes there is that, the only thing to do is have friends around for a football match or get a barbecue fired up.
£4.50 for 4 cans of Becks is a no brainer when it's the same price for a pint in a local working mans pub down the road.
A friend of mine was always drinking beers at home before venturing out and I never understood his doing so, until now when I fully understand the madness of beer pricing in pubs.
The sad fact is they will drive away their clientelle and eventually cause their own demise.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 pm

I wonder if breweries are finding it more cost effective to sell to supermarkets and not pubs .... of course it is.
Pubs were their only real outlet in past times but why bother any longer?
Brew it can it ship it .... fuck all that running small business type affairs too.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:22 pm

LordRaven wrote:
BUDGIE wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Yes there is that, the only thing to do is have friends around for a football match or get a barbecue fired up.
£4.50 for 4 cans of Becks is a no brainer when it's the same price for a pint in a local working mans pub down the road.
A friend of mine was always drinking beers at home before venturing out and I never understood his doing so, until now when I fully understand the madness of beer pricing in pubs.
The sad fact is they will drive away their clientelle and eventually cause their own demise.

Indeed. The local shops around here charge £1-20 to £1-40 for Polish beer, whereas in the pubs around you are going to pay £2 - £4-50 a pint depending on where you drink and what you drink. Harpenden and St. Albans are generally even more expensive.

At least four pubs in Luton (that I know) have closed in recent years.
jra

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:I wonder if breweries are finding it more cost effective to sell to supermarkets and not pubs .... of course it is.
Brew it can it ship it .... fuck all that running small business type affairs too.

Supermarkets don’t have the overheads pubs have, pubs cannot compete so they sell pub grub because it has a huge mark up.
Pubs also rely on their expensive tv packages to fill the place up for main events, boxing, premiership games, champions league, the ashes, olympics etc.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:12 pm

As I've seen pubs closedown reopen closedown reopen it has often crossed my mind .... how many pints etc do you have to sell each week to make it worthwhile.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:As I've seen pubs closedown reopen closedown reopen it has often crossed my mind .... how many pints etc do you have to sell each week to make it worthwhile.

Depends on many things.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:As I've seen pubs closedown reopen closedown reopen it has often crossed my mind .... how many pints etc do you have to sell each week to make it worthwhile.

Depends on many things.

You're allowed to say you don't know.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Depends on many things.

I sort of need more information like size, location, style, you know, the basics.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Depends on many things.

I sort of need more information like size, location, style, you know, the basics.

Yeah we get that bit.
An answer of well a small pub with two staff no food big telly poor neighborhood low rent etc ......
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Depends on many things.

Yeah we get that bit.
An answer of well a small pub with two staff no food big telly poor neighborhood low rent etc ......

No such thing as low rent.

Financially unviable, sold for flats.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:I wonder if breweries are finding it more cost effective to sell to supermarkets and not pubs .... of course it is.

Supermarkets don’t have the overheads pubs have, pubs cannot compete so they sell pub grub because it has a huge mark up.
Pubs also rely on their expensive tv packages to fill the place up for main events, boxing, premiership games, champions league, the ashes, olympics etc.

Indeed, but I do think some pubs take the piss (no pun intended) somewhat with their beer prices.
jra

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Depends on many things.

It's not an easy question to answer. It depends on what you're selling, how much per unit of drink, how many staff and what you pay them, business rates etc. etc.

Also, AFAIK the VAT/duty is higher on alcoholic drinks (it varies depending on whether it's cider, beer, spirits) than on non-alcoholic drinks and beverages.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Depends on many things.

It's not an easy question to answer. It depends on what you're selling, how much per unit of drink, how many staff and what you pay them, business rates etc. etc.

Also, AFAIK the VAT/duty is higher on alcoholic drinks (it varies depending on whether it's cider, beer, spirits) than on non-alcoholic drinks and beverages.

Fuck me I already get the obvious!
So I need to turn over at least seven grand a week in a small pub to get myself a grand a week wages .... no wonder they're all fucking closing down.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms